It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

sarahjean HB User
Worried about my husbands BP

Since I got my BP monitor a week ago to watch my high BP now since I'm PG, I have been encouraging my husband to check his. He is 37yrs old, doesn't have much salt at all because I don't either. His Mum has had really bad hypertension for 20yrs, she is 60yrs old. My husband is a very healthy man too but his BP readings have me worried. Over the last 4 days they have been
134/90
144/95
149/88
139/102

I know they are not really bad but I think he could be on his way to inheriting his Mum's HBP and I'm wondering what we should do about it? I plan on talking to my Mum in law this afternoon when they come for a visit to see what she suggests but wanted your opinions. He doesn't have much stress in his life except for maybe me

On another note, my BP has been excellent, 133/80 it was before

Thank you all.

Old 10-16-2005, 01:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: Worried about my husbands BP

Hello,

Are you sure that your BP Monitor is accurate? if so then hasband needs life style modifications before going on Meds, hopefully his BP will responses without Meds. There are many things he can do in order to reduce his BP without Med like:

1- Consuming less than 500 mg of Sodium daily.
2- Exercise, if he has no health problem then he should exercise 5 days a week.
3- Losing weight if he's overweight, this for sure reduces BP as the researches said.
4- Consuming more Vegetables and Fruit.
5- I really suggest Supplements like Garlic, search the web for the effect of Garlic on BP.

He has to do those life style modifications in order to normalize his BP and you have to wait 3 or even 4 months to ger results. Good luck
Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2005, 03:19 AM   #3
(female)

sarahjean HB User

Hi Michael,
Yes my BP machine is definitly accurate, it's brand new and top of the range
My husband has less then 500mg sodium a day, he's not overweight at all, he exercises a lot (more than I do) We have vegies everynight and garlic too because I have these for my HBP as well. Hmm... so that leaves the list done. I'll get him to do more exercise, eat more vegies and see how it goes over the next few months but yeah he's pretty much doing all that because of my HBP he helps me with it.
Thank you.
Sarah

Last edited by sarahjean; 10-16-2005 at 03:21 AM.

Old 10-16-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hello Sarah,

Good to hear that, if he can eat less red meat it will be great too. He has to drink Orange Juice as much as he can and stop drinking coffee because it's very bad for us. When I drink a cup of coffee my blood pressure jumb from 130/80 to 160-150/100-110 so it's for me.

How are you so sure that he consume less than 500 mg of Sodium? I want to know that because it's very difficult, they put Sodium on everything even the Chocolate.

Please open the following thread to read some posts, Frank is trying to manage his BP without Meds too .

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=295288&page=17&pp=5

Sarah stress is very bad for BP and you will read about that in one of my posts in that thread.
Good Luck and keep us posted please
Michael

Old 10-16-2005, 06:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellabibat
How are you so sure that he consume less than 500 mg of Sodium? I want to know that because it's very difficult, they put Sodium on everything even the Chocolate.
For me, after seven years and 17,000 blood pressure readings, I have not found an association between sodium and my blood pressure.

Over the past couple of months, I have been increasing the sodium in my diet, without any increase in my blood pressure. I would guess that I am not sodium sensitive.

For those who are sodium sensitive, a lower sodium intake will help. But for those who are not sodium sensitive, I am wondering if the medical industry is just pushing a low sodium diet, so that they can, once again, blame the patient for too much sodium, instead of curing him.

Last edited by Machaon; 10-16-2005 at 06:07 AM.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hello beerzoids,

Yes there are sodium sensitive people and I guess it's easy to know that. For me it's more related to weather, in summer (I'm living in Egypt) my blood pressure is good with (120/80) or without Med (140/90) and in the winter it's a lot higher. I hope that I can find a solution for this problem.
Thanks,
Michael

Old 10-16-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Hello beerzoids,

Yes there are sodium sensitive people and I guess it's easy to know that. For me it's more related to weather, in summer (I'm living in Egypt) my blood pressure is good with (120/80) or without Med (140/90) and in the winter it's a lot higher. I hope that I can find a solution for this problem.
Thanks,
Michael
How long are you staying in Egypt? You're from France, right?

Your post about diet and exercise were right on. You spend a lot of time trying to help others with their problems, and I am sure that it is appreciated.

I agree with your comments about diet and exercise. I think that diet and exercise are the best medicines for high blood pressure, or whatever else ails you. The main problem with that is, most people will not go on an appropriately healthy diet until their symptoms get so bad that they have no other choice (like myself).

Last edited by Machaon; 12-10-2005 at 03:42 AM.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

Sarah,

Best way is to take your husband to the next doctors appointment with you and ask the nurse to take his BP, reason I state this, home monitors are excellent, but its NOT one size fits all, and can get false readings if you do not have the proper cuff, your husband may need a larger cuff for his readings, versus yours. Take your monitor with you, if his readings match that of the doctors, then fair to say, your monitor will work for him.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hello beerzoids,

Why you said that I'm from France , I like it soooooooooooooooooooo much but I'm Egyptian 100%. You spent 7 years to do that??? I think you should write a book or something about that, each time I eat I think which food I have to avoid and which ones I have to eat more. It's very difficult task
You have done a great job
Good Luck
Michael

Old 10-16-2005, 03:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Hello beerzoids,

Why you said that I'm from France , I like it soooooooooooooooooooo much but I'm Egyptian 100%.
Sorry about the wrong assumption. Your writing and language skills seem "western". I've been wrong before.

Quote:
You spent 7 years to do that???
I've got heart failure and other heart diseases, along with high blood pressure. I only found out about my high blood pressure seven years ago. Not knowing ANYTHING about the complexities of high blood pressure and the complexities of heart medicine, and not having any medical training, it took a loooooong time to figure things out.

For instance, it took me about a year to cut back on just one of the medicines that I had been taking for about 15 years. So, you can see that some changes came very slow.

Quote:
I think you should write a book or something about that,
That would take too much effort and no one would buy it.

Quote:
each time I eat I think which food I have to avoid and which ones I have to eat more. It's very difficult task
You have done a great job
Good Luck
Michael
Thanks. What made it so difficult for me was that there are MANY things that cause me to have higher blood pressure. So...... when I remove just one thing from my environment, some times it didn't show any effect on my blood pressure, even though it was a factor. I am also on multiple heart meds. It took me a long, long time to find out which meds were effective and which ones weren't doing anything for my blood pressure. Weaning off of a heart med can take weeks or months, before the body completely reacts to the absense of the medicine. For instance, if I reduce my digoxiin, I don't get a complete reaction until 19 days later. BUT....... during that 19 day period, I can suffer from nasty withdrawal symptoms.

It is all very complex. There is no way that a doctor can know exactly what is good for any patient, since each patient has a different diet and a different environment, and has differences in their immune, neurological and hormonal systems. So...... doctors take a "one size fits all" approach to treating blood pressure and other diseases.

More than you wanted to know, huh?

Best of luck and health to you.

Last edited by Machaon; 10-16-2005 at 03:47 PM.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:50 PM   #11
(male)

BruceInAlaska HB User

Coffee is NOT "bad for us..." In fact it's known now to be a good antioxidant.

That said, I like to drink coffee, but also alot of *green tea*, which enough 'good' cannot be said. Look into this wonderful gift of a beverage!
Any change in BP from coffee drops soon after, not unlike a harmless dose of 'excitment' or stessfull event like the 'doctor visit'. I give coffee and (especially) tea a thumbs up!

Bruce

Old 10-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #12
(female)

sarahjean HB User

crabbyroad, thanks so much for the bit of information, I didn't even think of that, silly silly me!
I will do that this week and see what we come up with.
Thanks again!
You seem to be having a good discussion, very interesting reading
Michael, I really can't say for sure that it's 500mg or less a day but I think it must be pretty close. I guess if he's going to inherit it there isn't really anything to be done about that, but we can keep it down, controlled.

Thank you all.
Sarah

Old 10-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #13
(female)

sarahjean HB User

We just measued our arms, they are the same, give or take an inch, and we looked at the BP cuff, measured it how your meant to for an arm, and yes it fits both of us! I will still ask the doctor about this though.

Old 10-16-2005, 04:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hello Sarah,

I forgot to tell you that Sugar is also bad for High BP, I have read that the combination of Sugar and Salt is even worse than using each of them alone. Keep healthy and keep us posted.
Thanks,
Michael

Old 10-16-2005, 04:41 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceInAlaska
Coffee is NOT "bad for us..." In fact it's known now to be a good antioxidant.

That said, I like to drink coffee, but also alot of *green tea*, which enough 'good' cannot be said. Look into this wonderful gift of a beverage!
Any change in BP from coffee drops soon after, not unlike a harmless dose of 'excitment' or stessfull event like the 'doctor visit'. I give coffee and (especially) tea a thumbs up!

Bruce
Yes you are right that Coffee is good and you know what I have read that it's very useful but I forgot what's its usefulness. Anyway, when I drink it I spend the day with a high BP even if I'm on the Med so I don't drink it at all.
Thanks,
Michael

Closed Thread