It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

strong_one HB User
Does skipping meals cause High BP??

I was wondering because I'm getting my usual spike and I haven't been able to eat my lunches due to trainings.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: Does skipping meals cause High BP??

People like myself, who have postprandial hypotension (those who have substantial drops in BP after eating) might have their BP go up higher than normal if they skip meals. In fact, I try to make sure I have nutritious snacks between meals to keep my BP from going up so high. I can cut 10 or 15 points off my systolic peaks by eating a little something every few hours, rather than large meals at one time. But, as I recall, you are young, so you are not too likely to have PPH. From what I've read, almost no one in their 20s has it. About one-third of "the elderly" have it - I presume that means those over 65. You could be one of the few exceptions, though, so you might want to check your BP before and after meals a few times on a weekend. I have read that eating regular meals, especially not skipping breakfast, was good for blood pressure in general, but can't remember now how authoritative a source that came from.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
(female)

strong_one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da!
But, as I recall, you are young, so you are not too likely to have PPH. From what I've read, almost no one in their 20s has it.
Hi Uff Dah!!

Thanks for the reply - I wish I were in my mid 20's!!! I'm in my late 30's in fact 39!! Anyhoo, I'm taking chlonidine .01 and lisinopril 20mg. I have been so sleepy with these meds that at times I feel as if I'm always sleepy and lightheaded. But my BP stays down most of the time with it. My mother takes Feledopine (err.sp??) and it works very well with her. I'm wondering if I should ask my doc the same.

As far as snacking all day, I have been trying to eat much better. I have lost a few pounds by eating fruit in the morning and at lunch. There are times I eat a GOOD meal at lunch but my diet has been lagging lately due to training at work.

I will try to see how eating throughout the day effects my BP. Thanks again for your helpful advise!! You're the bomb!!!

Old 11-16-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

My BP drops, but not a lot, if I skip a meal...it also drops a bit after most meals??? What causes my spikes are anxiety and salt overdosing.

For me it doesnt have much to do with blood sugar because I'm usually pretty rock solid between 90 and 120 all day long.

steelgirl,

It's the clonidine that's making you drowsy. What kind of control do you get with just the lisinopril?

Last edited by Lenin; 11-16-2005 at 07:23 AM.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:42 PM   #5
(female)

strong_one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
steelgirl,

It's the clonidine that's making you drowsy. What kind of control do you get with just the lisinopril?
Hi Lenin!!

Yes, the chlonidine makes me soooo sleepy. I just took my BP and it was 107/76. I am so lightheaded and my eyes are heavy. My BP during the day is so high 150/99-100's lately but right after I take it, it drops this much.

So I'm trying to regulate it so I can be normal all day or at least at a decent level.

Steely

Old 11-18-2005, 06:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Steely,

It sounds like making clonidine in a time release formulation might be a good idea. Since it works so powerfully and so quickly.

Aha, I checked and it exists as CATAPRES it's available as a 24 hour patch. But, OY, the SUPER premium price of about $70 a month, whereas 60 tablets of .1, .2, or .3 mg. costs about $12. With a pill splitter the stuff is almost FREE.

Anyhoo, they call it CATAPRES TTS-1, 2 or 3...depending on dosage. You put a new patch on every week.

I'm DYING to try clonidine, because the idea of something that makes me drowsy will maybe make for a nice sleeping pill/hypertensive combo. I;ll bring it up again at the doctor's and make CLEAR that I'm NOT talking about KLONOPIN (that's what the thought I said the last time)

Last edited by Lenin; 11-18-2005 at 08:47 AM.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Postprandial BP Reduction:

Yesterday I had a huge plate of Pasta Carbonara (5 ounces of dry pasta/sauce made with eggs, sour cream, olive and canola oils and diced ham, washed down with 2 Pepsi ONE's for a total of 900 calories.
I was stuffed to the gills and plopped into the recliner. On a whim, I tested my BP immediately...114/71. It remained this low for almost 2 hours.

I guess when the body diverts a lot of blood to the stomach, that secondary shunt takes a good share of the flow, thus lowering BP.

Let's see, if I ate that 5 times a day, my BP would remain spectacular probably up to the point that the scale tops 500 pounds!

Last edited by Lenin; 11-28-2005 at 05:42 AM.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:10 AM   #8
(female)

rainbow7 HB User

Delayed or skipped meals cause my BP to shoot up. After meals my BP drops so much that sometimes I'm on the verge of fainting/faint. I've only been taking BP tablets for two years (I'm early 50s) but I've always felt weak after meals so I suspect my BP was falling low especially after the mid day meal even when I was in my twenties. recently I've measured my BP in this state after meals and had readings in the region of 78/45. Delayed meals produce a BP of 150/105. My doc hasn't mentioned any of this. Should I?

Last edited by rainbow7; 11-29-2005 at 09:16 AM.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:36 AM   #9
(male)

Sideem HB User

On the subject of meals, I'm wondering if my eating patterns could be affecting my evening blood pressure readings.

Here's a typical diet for me.

Breakfast: 1 or 2 breakfast bars (Nature Valley, Honey Maid, etc.), 20-oz water, 12-oz green tea, multi-vitamin (this is usually taken 3 hours after initial wake-up.)

Lunch: Subway foot-long sandwich (I usually get extra green peppers, onions, and jalapenos

Dinner: Either a legume like lentils with Vienna sausages...or a salad with spinach, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and canned salmon (on workout nights, I usually eat after 9:30PM)

In between that, I usually drink several more glasses of water and another batch of green tea.

I'm wondering if I need to eat more during breakfast to help my bp during the evening. I may have to do some experimenting. I also think I may run around the house for 15 minutes when first waking up. Last night, my BP was 157/92 before my evening workout. I decided to work out anyway and when I checked it about an hour after working out, it was 135/86.

Anyway we'll see.

Last edited by Sideem; 11-30-2005 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Clarification

Old 11-30-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow7
Delayed or skipped meals cause my BP to shoot up. After meals my BP drops so much that sometimes I'm on the verge of fainting/faint. I've only been taking BP tablets for two years (I'm early 50s) but I've always felt weak after meals so I suspect my BP was falling low especially after the mid day meal even when I was in my twenties. recently I've measured my BP in this state after meals and had readings in the region of 78/45. Delayed meals produce a BP of 150/105. My doc hasn't mentioned any of this. Should I?
Rainbow - Definitely inform your doctor about this. The doctor only checks your BP in the office at a single point during the day and would have no idea of the seriousness of your postprandial hypotension unless you tell him. If the problem is already symptomatic in your early 50s, you could have some tough times ahead of you as you age, so you may want to at least minimize the effects as much as you can. Unfortunately, if you have an older doctor who hasn't kept up with this topic, he may not know a lot about it, as it appears to me that almost nothing was known about this twenty years ago. And since there is no specific costly pill to solve the problem, I doubt the pharmaceutical companies would have done much to educate the doctors about recent knowledge in this area. Low carb eating will minimize the problem after an individual meal, but apparently does nothing longer-term.

I suggest that you do some reading of the research on PPH to be aware of the possible problems involved. In my reading, I learned that in the elderly in nursing homes, they found that even strokes were associated with PPH. Here are a couple of references I found to get you started:

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/33/1/565

http://www.arclab.org/medlineupdates/abstract_11723147.html

Closed Thread