It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User
Excuse me?????

Greetings,

So, if any of you ever lurk in the Inner Ear board, you may know that I have had a spacey, dizzy, disconnected feeling that has gone on for some time. Anyhow, I finally had an MRI and went to the Neuro for results discussion. They were looking for MS since my died had that.

I was negative for MS and all looked well and "normal." As we were talking, the Neuro noted my 144/90 reading and decided that my symptoms are related to HBP. Nevermind the fact that all this started WHILE I was taking Lisinopril and had my pressure at 130/80, nor the fact that one year ago at this time I felt fine and was routinely getting readings of 150/98.

So, she says "Let's REALLY treat this pressure" and wrote a prescription for Verapamil120mg 3x per day, for 2 days then 2x per day thereafter. Anyone heard of BP causing these symptoms?

I suppose cranial pressure could be caused by HBP, but something doesn't seem right. I asked her to explain the mechanics of it, and that is pretty much what she said, pressure in the head. So I asked, "How long til I get relief", and she replied "within a few days." She also said that you have nothing to lose by taking the meds and controling the BP.

Yeah, except for my severe stomach cramps from Lisinopril and my greatly aggravated PVC's from Hydrochlorothiazide. Wonder what I can expect from Verapamil?

So, now I am totally confused and my pressure is going up thinking about all this.

Regards, Brenden.

Last edited by Exegesis; 12-14-2005 at 05:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
(male)

rigel434 HB User
Re: Excuse me?????

"I have had a spacey, dizzy, disconnected feeling that has gone on for some time."

My mom had those exact symptoms for months- they gave her a carotid artery blockage test, a tilt test to rule out neurally mediated hypotension (which doesn't mean you always have low bp), and finally it was discovered to be caused by a drug she had been taking for years for her fibromyalgia. Don't know if any of those possibilities apply to you.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Hi Rigel,

Thanks for the response. No, I am not on any medications. They have done some tests, all negative thus far. Though I do not feel the ENT I saw did nearly enough except use his "x-ray vision".

Either way, it really maddened me that once again, everything comes down to BP. I am afraid to give this drug a try since the potential side effects are as bad as what I am currently experiencing.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

If you routinely had low bp and it suddenly rose to the 140/150 level, mabye. But if you bp had been around that level for a long time, say in the 120-150 range, it seems
very unlikely that you'd experience symptoms from very mild hpb. I'd keep looking for the cause, and give your MD hell.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Brenden, That jackass sounds like my GP and my first cardiologist.

Me: "Doctor, I had a car accident and broke both legs!"
Doctor: "Well, let's up those antihypertensives then."

If nobody on the inner ear board recommend this, try HCTZ or another diuretic. If ANYTHING will lower pressure in your semicircular canals, a diuretic will. My otosurgeon said the same thing.
If that doesn't work, give daily meclizine, 25 mg., a whirl for a couple weeks. Or do both.

Verapamil is apt to give you JUST what you don't need...a headache!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-15-2005 at 07:46 AM.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:35 AM   #6

Autumn1 HB User

I have experienced dizziness on both diovan and now on atenolol.
I even had a bout of positional vertigo that I feel was somehow
connected to my meds. At the time my heart rate was in the low 50's.
Although I can never prove it, the fact that I've had dizziness only
when on bp meds and never during the years I've been off them to me,
is a no-brainer. On meds, I don't have the clear, sharp feeling like I used
to. I guess its the price we have to pay for keeping our numbers low.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Editor, you asked what are the side effects of "verapamil", well my mom takes verapamil and has been for over five yrs. She had no severe side effects until now. Verapamil can cause swelling in the ankles, but the most annoying to her she says is the effect on the breast.

Most men avoids verapamil bcuz it can cause breast enlargement in men. So if you're male think about this. I read on another web site that it is alos linked to breast cancer in women. Just do a search on the net ...type breast + cancer and see what comes up. Good luck

Old 12-15-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Editor, you asked what are the side effects of "verapamil", well my mom takes verapamil and has been for over five yrs. She had no severe side effects until now. Verapamil can cause swelling in the ankles, but the most annoying to her she says is the effect on the breast.

Most men avoids verapamil bcuz it can cause breast enlargement in men. So if you're male think about this. I read on another web site that it is alos linked to breast cancer in women. Just do a search on the net ...type breast + cancer and see what comes up. Good luck

Closed Thread