It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

rainbow7 HB User
lisinopril - trouble breathing

Does anyone else have trouble breathing about an hour after taking lisinopril?

rainbow

Old 12-18-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User
Re: lisinopril - trouble breathing

My mom took lisinopril for almost six years and that was one of her complaints. The worst complaint of course was the nagging ace cough.

Lisinopril was the best to lower her bp though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
(male)

rigel434 HB User

For the first couple of weeks after I started taking it, when I'd take walks I'd notice that my throat seemed to be a little more narrow than before and I'd have to breathe harder. Nothing dramatic but noticable. Around the same time, I got the ACE cough/throat tickle. But it all went away after a couple of weeks, never to return.

Last edited by rigel434; 12-19-2005 at 07:30 AM.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mother said she felt the same. Eventurally, the lisnopril caused her to get rashes, her face and eyes swolen and finally her throat closed., I rushed hr to the ER and they said she had became allergic to the lisinopril.

She not taking it now.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

STOP TAKING LISINOPRIL IMMMEDIATELY if you have trouble breathing. That is a sign of a life threatening allergic reaction called angioedema. Other signs are puffy lips and eyelids.
NEVER take an ACEI again if that happens even once. THe next dose could kill!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-19-2005 at 10:09 AM.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
(male)

rigel434 HB User

"That is a sign of a life threatening allergic reaction called angioedema. Other signs are puffy lips and eyelids."

Never had puffy lips and eyelids. And I've taken lisinopril for almost 3 years with no side effects at all in the last 2 years and 10 months. High blood pressure itself has deadly side effects as well, such as stroke.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow7
Does anyone else have trouble breathing about an hour after taking lisinopril?

rainbow
I take a different ACEI. If I eat foods high in potassium, close to when I take my ACEI, I will have trouble breathing, so I avoid such foods and I am OK. There are many foods, drinks, among other things, that can interact with medicines.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
(female)

MissHelen HB User

does this med make you pee a lot? I was just put on it and that's all I do.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:09 PM   #9
(male)

rigel434 HB User

"does this med make you pee a lot? I was just put on it and that's all I do."

I've never heard of that being an ACE side-effect, though it's a very common diuretic side-effect. Are you sure you're not taking medicine with both lisinopril and a diuretic in it? They very commonly put them together in one pill.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Almost ALL blood presure meds to some degree make you pee more. It seems to be the end result of several different drug approaches.
I've noticed a brisk diuresis even when initiating beta blockers.

Perhaps the direct artery dilating drugs like hydralazine might not.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Miss Helen,
After one week on an ACEI I was literally running for the bathroom. I've always suspected the problem was due to the ACEI, but of course my doctor disagreed. So here I am 22 yrs later, and I know where every bathroom on the east coast is.

But for anyone having a breathing problem, while taking an ACEI or any other drug, call your doctor immediately! I agree with Lenin, that this is a life-threatening situation. Any drug, food etc can cause these symptoms if you are allergic to them. And even if you have taken something for months or years, does not mean it isn't the drug causing trouble breathing or any other symptom of allergic reaction. Just because something didn't affect you adversely in the past, doesn't mean you are not sensitive or allerigc to it now. There have been case studies of people taking ACEIs for years before developing life-threating angioedema, anaphalaxis etc. Never assume anything when you have trouble breathing. Seek medical assistance.
ACEIs can cause a buildup of something called bradykinin in the lungs, interfering with breathing and causing the typical ACEI cough.
I take lisinopril too, and have never been thrilled with it, although it does well at controlling my BP.
Hellas

Old 12-21-2005, 04:02 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLASRULES
But for anyone having a breathing problem, while taking an ACEI or any other drug, call your doctor immediately! I agree with Lenin, that this is a life-threatening situation. Any drug, food etc can cause these symptoms if you are allergic to them. And even if you have taken something for months or years, does not mean it isn't the drug causing trouble breathing or any other symptom of allergic reaction. Just because something didn't affect you adversely in the past, doesn't mean you are not sensitive or allerigc to it now. There have been case studies of people taking ACEIs for years before developing life-threating angioedema, anaphalaxis etc. Never assume anything when you have trouble breathing. Seek medical assistance.
I've got heart failure, among other heart problems, and asthma. If I had to call my cardiologist every time I had breathing problems, I would have to place him on my speed-dial, and he would surely place me in a nut house!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 12-22-2005, 11:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

I agree with hellasrule. My mom took lisinopril for at least five yrs and then she developed an allergy to the stuff. She started complaining about not being able to breath and we took her to the ER. They didn't connect the lisinopril with the problem and said they didn't know what the problem was. Two days later she was back in the
Er with hives, rash and swollen face.

i guess they got the point, the lisinopril had closed her throat as well. Any time anything cause you to have shortness of breath, there is a problem. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY TALK!

Old 12-22-2005, 01:49 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane413
I agree with hellasrule. My mom took lisinopril for at least five yrs and then she developed an allergy to the stuff. She started complaining about not being able to breath and we took her to the ER. They didn't connect the lisinopril with the problem and said they didn't know what the problem was.
So, in your mom's case, going to the ER for breathing problems was a waste of time and money.

Quote:
Two days later she was back in the Er with hives, rash and swollen face. i guess they got the point, the lisinopril had closed her throat as well.
With these types of symptoms, it was important that she went to the ER to seek treatment. I would have gone into the ER also.

Quote:
Any time anything cause you to have shortness of breath, there is a problem. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY TALK!
Well, I can't say that you are wrong. And...... office visits are not all that expensive these days. If someone has shortness of breath, and doesn't mind spending the cash and the time, then they should seek treatment, even if it is several times a day.

In my case, with both asthma and heart failure, among other heart problems, occasional shortness of breath is a normal way of life. It used to be much worse. Lately I've been getting far fewer breathing problems. However, over the past several decades, I often had breathing problems, and I never sought treatment for it, other than a normally scheduled doctor's visit. I just figured out what had caused the breathing problems and avoided it in the future and took the proper meds.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Closed Thread