It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
What is considered high blood pressure???

My readings vary anywhere from 125/78 to 140/80-85. Is this high?

Thank you!

Melly

Old 02-04-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: What is considered high blood pressure???

Melly,

Sounds just fine to me. You want to stay below 140/90 if untreated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 05:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Melly,

Sounds just fine to me. You want to stay below 140/90 if untreated.
Thank you very much Lenin!! I have always run around these numbers, so that is I guess "normal" for me. The weird thing is when I saw my ob/gyn last month, my b.p. at the time was 140-95 or something like that. I was like huh? I always thought I had normal pressure. Whenever I see my primary, it's always great and when I check it in stores it's good, so this confused me, and concerned her since I'm trying to get pregnant again. Maybe it's only high when I see her because it's usually for a problem lately and I'm nervous already? LOL. Who knows, anyway thank you.

Melly

Old 02-04-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Melly,

Probably more stressful at the gyno.
Perhaps there's something about the legs up in the stirrups that can get the BP up a tad.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-04-2006 at 05:24 AM.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

mrbojangle HB User

I was just at my doctor on Tuesday and my pressure was 142/ 68, he said a new study is now recommending 130 as the high number, so I am now on a different medication to get my pressure down. I'm taking DILTIAZEM 120 mg per day for 7 weeks to see if it has come down.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Oh doctors LOVE to start early treatment. From the American Heart Asssociation:

Quote:
The new classification – “prehypertension” – describes people with blood pressures between 120-139 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) systolic (the top number in a blood pressure reading) or 80-89 mm Hg diastolic (bottom number).
My prediction:
Watch the pendulum swing the other way and several studies will start to pop up showing that overly agressive treatment with BP drugs is shortening people's lives...I just feel it in my bones! Of couse, God knows who would finance these studies!

A doctor's dream: A disease that EVERYBODY has that can be diagnosed at no expense in his office requiring only the skill level of a gifted chimpazee and a hand pump and that requires a lifetime of prescriptions that must be changed constantly and doesn't kill his patients. It's the perfect cash flow situation from med school to grave. Pump, pump, pump = another $125!

Last edited by Lenin; 02-05-2006 at 06:16 AM.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
A doctor's dream: A disease that EVERYBODY has that can be diagnosed at no expense in his office requiring only the skill level of a gifted chimpazee and a hand pump and that requires a lifetime of prescriptions that must be changed constantly and doesn't kill his patients. It's the perfect cash flow situation from med school to grave. Pump, pump, pump = another $125!
Lenin, you forgot one very important part:

"And state laws that require that to renew the prescription, the patient must be seen by the physician every six months for re-evaluation."

Old 02-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

I agree with last two posts. The prehypertension category should or does mean take prudent precautions that don't involve bp medicine to keep your bp from creeping up--like diet, exercise, weight loss, perhaps supplements etc. Unless you have another health problem, stay away from the medicine (given how little we really know about its long terms effects) unless you bp is consistently significantly above 140/90. Others can disagree on this, but I only take the meds because my bp is REALLY high unmedicated.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Oh doctors LOVE to start early treatment. From the American Heart Asssociation:

My prediction:
Watch the pendulum swing the other way and several studies will start to pop up showing that overly agressive treatment with BP drugs is shortening people's lives...I just feel it in my bones! Of couse, God knows who would finance these studies!

You're funny and I couldn't agree with you more. Who are the people that keep changing these statistics is what I would like to know? The drug companies. Thanks everyone for your opinions. I checked it today and it was 125/81. Hubby told me not to worry and that is not considered high, but from some research I've done, they say it is! Who knows. Thanks anyway!!

Melly

Old 02-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #10
(female)

Dena HB User

It's confusing. I went to the doctor last week and my blood pressure was 147 over 90. I've never had such a high reading. I went home and took it and it was l35 over 85 better, but still high. I've been measuring it once or twice a day since and it varies as low as ll7 over 75 this am and 122 or 73 a day or two ago. So I'm not sure if I should be reassured by the normal reading or concerned about the high ones. Which ones really count?
Dena

Old 02-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Dena,

I think the best assessment is gotten by averaging ALL your readings and then using that number to judge what action to take.

Perhaps leaving out the office visit numbers is wise if you're convinced that the doctor's presence jacks up the numbers (white coat hypertension.)

Old 02-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

If the reading at the DR is truly an aberration, relax.

Closed Thread