It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
(male)

hiibloodpressur HB User
Blood Pressure While Exercising

I am taking 20 mg Lotensin and 25 mg Toprol XL in am since January 12.

I have had my pressure checked at work about once per week and it is typically 130/80 after I sit about 5 minutes. If they measure my pressure in the first few minutes when I first walk in after a short walk of less than 100 yards it is typically over 170/100.

My pulse rate has dropped from about 48-50 to around 40 since starting Toprol.

I typically jog 3-4 miles several times during the week. Since starting Toprol, I have been unable to run more than a mile without being physically tired and having to stop and walk. We measured my pressure a minute or so after running and it was 210/110. Should I be concerned about this?

Old 02-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
(female)

enie HB User
Re: Blood Pressure While Exercising

Call your Doctor and ask what his goal for you is. Tell him your heart rate change.
Toprol XL makes my heart rate extremely low. Unlike you though, my Doctor wants my heart to beat too slow, so my pacemaker can pace most of the time.
enie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
(male)

rigel434 HB User

Very large bp increases are normal while exercising- even among "normal" people.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiibloodpressur
I am taking 20 mg Lotensin and 25 mg Toprol XL in am since January 12.

I have had my pressure checked at work about once per week and it is typically 130/80 after I sit about 5 minutes. If they measure my pressure in the first few minutes when I first walk in after a short walk of less than 100 yards it is typically over 170/100.

My pulse rate has dropped from about 48-50 to around 40 since starting Toprol.

I typically jog 3-4 miles several times during the week. Since starting Toprol, I have been unable to run more than a mile without being physically tired and having to stop and walk. We measured my pressure a minute or so after running and it was 210/110. Should I be concerned about this?
Although blood pressure rises during exercise, the BP should drop significantly and quickly after exercise. Systolic Blood Pressure should drop at least 10% at three minutes after exercise, and by five minutes, blood pressure should be back to normal.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 02-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

HBP,

It's hard to make any statements about exercising BP. I've tried to get mine WHILE exercising, always a disaster with preposterous numbers and ERROR messages. That said, after one minute, your BP stikes me as high...mine never goes that high immediately afteter exercise (but I'll check tomorrow after 1/2 hour on the elliptical trainer.)
Why nopt try a reading after 2 minutes instead and see what you get.

There IS a compensatory feedback system that allows the body to clamp down it's arterioles in the presence of a weak heartbeat. THus the TOPROL might be forcing the high pressure because it weakens the heart beat. The flip side is that articifially dropping BP a lot (like with a nitrate) raises the heart rate drastically to asssure a blood supply to the cells.

Beta blockers are a particularly odious class of drugs for exercises. I couldn't continue at the gym if I were still on them.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
The flip side is that articifially dropping BP a lot (like with a nitrate) raises the heart rate drastically to asssure a blood supply to the cells.
I use nitroglycerin under my tongue when I want a quick and significant drop in my blood pressure. It works great when I need it. It does not increase my heart rate. Do nitrates increase your heart rate drastically? If so, by how much? It's interesting that different people react differently to the same medicine, isn't it?

Quote:
Beta blockers are a particularly odious class of drugs for exercises. I couldn't continue at the gym if I were still on them.
This is another case where one size doesn't fit all. For some hypertensive patients, beta blockers are the drug of choice for patients involved in exercise training.

Life would be more simple if everyone reacted exactly the same to the same medicine, but it doesn't work that way.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #7
(male)

hiibloodpressur HB User

beerzoids,
how do you know when you want a quick and significant drop in your bp?

To show my ignorance, what type drug is lotensin and what type is toprol?

Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiibloodpressur
beerzoids,
how do you know when you want a quick and significant drop in your bp?

To show my ignorance, what type drug is lotensin and what type is toprol?
I've had severe heart disease for over 20 years. As I got older, my symptoms and condition continued to worsen. I finally took better control. I wanted to learn more about my blood pressure, and I wanted to find out if, perhaps, high blood pressure was contributing to my worsening health. At the doctor's office my blood pressure was always recorded as 120/80.

I started taking my blood pressure many times per day. I quickly found out that, even though my blood pressure was normally good during the morning hours, like at the doctor's office, my blood pressure continued to increase during the day and was sky high at night. I also found out that, during some days, my blood pressure would go sky high all day long.

Over the past 7+ years, I've taken my blood pressure almost 18,000 times and computerized the results, producing charts, reports and statistics by day, by hour, by week, by month, by year, etc. Using the results, I have been able to get my 24 hour blood pressure down to very healthy levels and my symptoms and condition have improved remarkably. I no longer have severe heart disease. I still have major heart problems, and other health issues, but I am doing much better. MUCH BETTER!

I continue to take my blood pressure multiple times per day. If I get two systolic readings over 160, or if I get two consecutive diastolic readings over 94, I'll pop a nitro under my tongue.

I am not familiar with lotensin, or toprol. Perhaps someone else can chime in and respond to that portion of your question.

Regards, best of luck and health!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-14-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Closed Thread