It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
ASPIRIN and BLOOD PRESSURE

Here's some interesting MAYBE information.
Did any of you see the recent study showing aspirin's effect on blood pressure.
They tested 328 people. HAlf got no aspirin and a quarter got 100 mg at night and another quarter got 100 mg in the morning.

After three months, these were the results:

Quote:
Aspirin at night: Significant drop in blood pressure
Aspirin in the morning: Slightly higher blood pressure
No aspirin: Slightly lower blood pressure

The biggest blood pressure change was in the patients who took aspirin at night, the study shows.

How much did their blood pressure drop?

Systolic blood pressure (the top number): down 6.8
Diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number): down 1.6

In people older than 50 a systolic blood pressure greater than 140 is a much more important risk factor for heart disease than the diastolic blood pressure reading.

Nearly nine out of 10 who took aspirin at night had a drop in blood pressure, the study shows

Fascinating isn't it? I switched my aspirin taking from morning to night last week and I'd very happily settle for that average 6.8 systolic drop. AND I take 650 mg. aspirin so maybe my swing will be even greater??
It certainly is one of the easier drug regimens.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-22-2006 at 07:15 PM.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
(female)

red-rider HB User
Re: ASPIRIN and BLOOD PRESSURE

That is interesting Lenin. I have debated taking baby aspirin for years. A decade ago,I took some aspirin for a headache and had a 3hour nosebleed I was in my 30's then so maybe my blood was much thinner. Last visit to doc~(my gynecologist) I asked about baby aspirin and mentioned the nosebleed from way back when and she said "skip it~just take vitaminE~but she did not say how much to take? Also~I subscribe to a ladies magazine and was reading a health-related article and a doctor was talking about the benefits of aspirin -BUT-made the comment "not for my patients with high BP"!!!! but he did not explain why? So~I guess no baby aspirin for me~yet! If there are any women here who take it/or dont take it~feel free to chime in! I would be very interested in your comments~pro or con.
my best~RR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2006, 01:21 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

i was worried about that, thanks for filing in the blanks <3 i only get headaches at night..

do you know anything about tylonal? i know tylonal thins your blood, but is that teh same as lowering blood pressure?
D: i hope not.. IBperophen is all thats left, and it deosnt work on me!

Last edited by iyami; 02-23-2006 at 01:27 AM.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mom went to the eye dr. yesterday and was told that asprin therapy for seven yrs. has caused her to get cataracts and three laser surgeries. She also had an ulcer from the asprin. She was prescribed ecotrin 325 for three of those yrs, and then a "bright" doctor decided to prescibed 325 uncoated.

Now she is being told not to take asprin period. Go figure.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
(male)

suggus HB User

I love aspirin as a blood thinner and anti-inflamitory but I have read reports that found that using coumidin (rat poison) is much more effective with a lower death rate than in the aspirin group.
If you can take aspirin as a preventative, my doctors recomend the 88mg child's dosage rather than the 500mg adult regular dose.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

suggus,

I just read a study suggesting that heparin and warfarin (Coumadin) were killing far more people after heart procedures than was commonly reported. The article implies that aspirin was FAR safer.I agree. After all there were generations of people who took lifelong doses of 10-16 aspirin for arthritis control...and probably still do.
Look for MUCH greater control of the use of coumadin as a result of this study.

I'll take the aspirin any day over coumadin...and that goes DOUBLE for Plavix, in my estimation the very WORST of the blood thinners.

Think about it this way...imagine a world where everyone took daily coumadin in small doses but took a huge dose with every headache and sore joint and daily for years with chronic pain; I envision bodies littering the streets...much like dead rats actually .

Last edited by Lenin; 02-26-2006 at 05:30 AM.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

I would like to know why you say Plavix is bad for you. My dad, 89, is on plavix for years and I am wondering if some of his health problems could be plavix related. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Lenin,

The article is indeed interesting to say the least. I mean, it makes sense. If aspirin thins the blood why wouldn't it lower bp? Thinner blood flows easier through the arteries, or so one would think. It would flow easier through narrowed arteries.

Also interesting is the fact that it works better taken at night. It seems, that for a good many people, they tend to get better results taking any type of med at night, or so it seems. So aspirin is showing some remarkable characteristics in that regard.

Curios as to how you take yours. With food? Buffered? Coated?

Old 02-27-2006, 05:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

I take my aspirin cheap, unbuffered, and uncoated... I like to find aspirin at 2 for a penny!
It was usually after breakfast but is now before bedtime...neither on an empty stomach. So at bedtime it's 20 mg. lipitor, 650 mg. aspirin, 2 grams fish oil, 2.4 grams lecithin.

Most curious about the BP study was that morning aspirin actually RAISED BP while night-time aspirin lowered it. Hard to see any reason for the diurnal aspect?????

Anyhoo, I think my BP numbers have improved slightly since I swtitched to nighttime use but it;s hard to see in the normal ebb and flow of numbers.
I think I'll have to switch my niacin to nighttime too because I'm noticing a bit more flushing (though slight) from my daily morning dose of Slo-Niacin sans aspirin.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-13-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

RF,

Just a couple thoughts.

The connection isn't a strong one and was born out of an accidental unsought result of a study looking to prove something else.
A good study aiming JUST at the aspirin-ACE connection needs to be done.

Consensus is that any interaction is based on higher doses of aspirin which effects a prostaglandin inhibiting effect, since ACE inhibition relies in part on parostaglandins. Probably zero effect with a baby aspirin.

Somebody taking aspirin for joint pain in MUCH larger doses would probably need to be more vigilant. Perhaps eventually such a person might need a different class of BP med.

But I think taking the ACE and the baby aspirin at different times of day might be a good idea, certainly won;t do any harm.
Why not take the aspirin at night and the Altace in the morning?

Old 02-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I looked back on your posts and saw your morning 140-150/90-95 but a normal <120/80 during the day. Pretty typical.

A difference of 50, 60 or 70 isn't common for someone young but gets more common as we age and our arteries and arterioles stiffen. For obvious reasons (the stiffening) the systolic goes up but for less obvious reasons the diastolic goes down with age. So a number like 130/70 is quite common for a duffer. The "pulse pressure" (the difference) of 70 is extreme though.

The higher the difference the more concern for underlying vascular disease.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-28-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

lolasmom,

My main objection to Plavix is the high risk of unstoppable serious bleeds that occur. The studies show that it is no more effective than aspirin and it's benefits accrue from taking it WITH aspirin for two months after a coronary procedure.

After the two months there's no further benefit from the Plavix...but the risk of hemmorhage goes on and on. The company admits to a 1% chance of a major bleed (death or the replacement of 4 units of blood) to be 1%...critics say 2%. This is too high for something "as good as aspirin."
I really think the NEXT BIG DRUG SCANDAL will be Plavix!

Old 03-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
suggus,

I just read a study suggesting that heparin and warfarin (Coumadin) were killing far more people after heart procedures than was commonly reported. The article implies that aspirin was FAR safer.I agree. After all there were generations of people who took lifelong doses of 10-16 aspirin for arthritis control...and probably still do.
Look for MUCH greater control of the use of coumadin as a result of this study.

I'll take the aspirin any day over coumadin...and that goes DOUBLE for Plavix, in my estimation the very WORST of the blood thinners.

Think about it this way...imagine a world where everyone took daily coumadin in small doses but took a huge dose with every headache and sore joint and daily for years with chronic pain; I envision bodies littering the streets...much like dead rats actually .
OK!! now I'm really freaking!
RAT POISON? My husband was just started on 6mgs of coumadin ( due to a pulmonary embolism, complications from a triple bypass ) They want him to take it for 3 months along with 325 mg asprin. He does have to go get his blood clotting tested 2 times a week but RAT POSION? Really?
Cass

Old 03-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

Yep that's what it is. Generic name is warfarin, hubby has been on it for 10 years and only has to get his blood tested once a month. It can be a real life saver.
My dad had heart problems for about 35 years, he was on coumadin, until he was in an auto accident. He had relativly minor injuries, broken arm and a couple of ribs, but they needed to operate and took him off the coumadin so that they would be able to control the bleeding. He then had a heart attack and passed away, so just be careful out there.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:34 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

One always must remember the fliip side of clot prevention is uncontrolled bleeding: BOTH can be killers.

Closed Thread