It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
(female)

sahaira HB User
Question Stopping Atenolol question

Hi All,

I currently take 1/2 a tablet of the 25 mcg dosage of Atenolol (low dose I know). I have been taking atenolol for over 3 years now. I am currenlty 25 years old. I was put on it because I had PVC's for two weeks straight and my blood pressure was a bit high. I would like to stop taking them as I have had my heart checked out and everything is fine with it. I have gone from 25 to 12.5 but when I try to stop completely I get very dizzy and my heart beats really hard so I end up going back on it as I have panic disorder and hate those sensations.

Has anyone stopped Atenolol or does anyone have ideas on what I can expect? If it is normal to feel like that I can probably handle it but I am afraid that the dizziness means I will pass out.

Thanks for your help!

The Following User Says Thank You to sahaira For This Useful Post:
Sam Nomi (03-13-2011)
Old 03-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Stopping Atenolol question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahaira
Hi All,

I currently take 1/2 a tablet of the 25 mcg dosage of Atenolol (low dose I know). I have been taking atenolol for over 3 years now. I am currenlty 25 years old. I was put on it because I had PVC's for two weeks straight and my blood pressure was a bit high. I would like to stop taking them as I have had my heart checked out and everything is fine with it. I have gone from 25 to 12.5 but when I try to stop completely I get very dizzy and my heart beats really hard so I end up going back on it as I have panic disorder and hate those sensations.

Has anyone stopped Atenolol or does anyone have ideas on what I can expect? If it is normal to feel like that I can probably handle it but I am afraid that the dizziness means I will pass out.

Thanks for your help!
I stopped atenolol last Sept after taking it for 20yrs. Over the years I went from 100mgs to 50 to 25 then back to 50. I wasn't aware how debilitating beta blockers can be untill I joined this forum and read of other people with the same symptoms as me. I never realized that my fatigue, dizziness and even depression and anxiety all resulted from atenolol.
I had the same experences as you. I went on for months trying to stop. Finally I just started taking smaller and smaller doses. I cut the half in half and the nest day that half in half untill I was only taking crumbs but I still had the dizziness and palpations when my dosing time came. One day I forced myself to wait and after a couple of hours the symptoms got better. I was so thrilled to go 24 hours without the stuff I decided to tough it out. Each day got better and in a week or two all symptoms were gone.
I am convinced that beta blokckers are addictive and require withdrawal to stop them. I would suggest you monitor your BP closely while withdrawing.
Best of luck,
Cass

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CASSIEBEL For This Useful Post:
Djhouse (07-14-2011), Sam Nomi (03-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
(female)

goldenboys HB User

I may not be much help but I was on it for 5 months and felt so horrible that I just stop it gradually. Every 3 days I reduced the amount from 25mg to nothing. I think my dr. put me on it because at the time my heartrate was 125 but being on it my heartrate went to 45 ... I could barely function. I personally think its a terrible drug and told my dr. how I felt. I hate atenolol and wish you all the luck in the world getting off of this. If I were you I would listen to what cassibel says and get off gradually and and tough it out day by day & check your BP daily while weaning off. Best of Luck but get off this crap...its poison.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

I have used Atenolol as well.

IF you want to go off of it it is good to use "another" to help ease you off of it like a diuretic. It will help "cushion" the rebound affect.
I have used a CCB in that regard like Verapamil, but that is me. I have been on and off Atenolol a few times and yes, it seems to be just a bit ruffer than some of the others to come off. I find CCB's ALOT easier, just stopping cold turkey. ARB's can give a small rebound to, but not as bad as a beta blocker.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
(female)

sahaira HB User

Thank you everyone for writing to me.. I am trying to take less and less everyday. I have noticed since starting atenolol I have spider veins on my legs and stuff. I never had them before. Its weird. I wish i was never put on this stupid medication. I am sorry to hear that you guys had to have problems as well.
I am just going to try my hardest to live with the side effects of withdrawl... they cant go on forever right??

THANKS AGAIN ALL YOU GREAT PEOPLE!

Old 03-24-2006, 11:37 PM   #6
(female)

ms_hypertensive HB User

I, too, am on half a 25 mg tablet -- I started about 6 years ago. One year ago I experienced an incident of trying to grasp my breath that was frightening -- I was leaving a laundromat with a heavy smell of laundry fragrance and thought it may have overwhelmed me -- then I heard that this could be a symptom of the drug. Then I felt several months of sad/hopelessness when I woke in the mornings -- I put this down to my husband's job loss, but now I believe it is the medication. I discussed going off this drug, and my doctor says that I should go 'cold turkey', but I am concerned about the side effects described in these posts. My doctor now no longer recommends beta blockers -- I do not even know why I got on these -- I have never experienced chest pain, and I jog 6 miies virtually every day, so that seems crazy to perform that activity on this drug! Should I be concerned about quitting 'cold turkey?'

Old 03-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_hypertensive
I, too, am on half a 25 mg tablet -- I started about 6 years ago. One year ago I experienced an incident of trying to grasp my breath that was frightening -- I was leaving a laundromat with a heavy smell of laundry fragrance and thought it may have overwhelmed me -- then I heard that this could be a symptom of the drug. Then I felt several months of sad/hopelessness when I woke in the mornings -- I put this down to my husband's job loss, but now I believe it is the medication. I discussed going off this drug, and my doctor says that I should go 'cold turkey', but I am concerned about the side effects described in these posts. My doctor now no longer recommends beta blockers -- I do not even know why I got on these -- I have never experienced chest pain, and I jog 6 miies virtually every day, so that seems crazy to perform that activity on this drug! Should I be concerned about quitting 'cold turkey?'
YES! It could be dangerous. At least taper down for a couple of weeks. The longer the better.
Cass

Old 03-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
(female)

michal45 HB User

I'm so glad I found this site to discuss blood pressure. I've been taking Atenolol for about 4-5 years now. I went from low dosage 25gr to 50gr and about 2 weeks ago i decided to lower the dose back to 25gr again. The problem: I had horrible muscle pains, my legs, my hips etc..and rashes and extremely dry skin on my fingers, and it's only recently that I realized it may have been side effects from the drug. I don't know why it took me so long. I no longer have muscle pains and the rashes are gone too - for now. I, too, am terrified to take my blood pressure when I need to take it - and that alone doesn't help either. I'm just hoping that most of the time when I don't have to think about taking it, the blood pressure is ok.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
(female)

pulltab HB User

I am also 26 years old, was on 25mg of Atenolol, was fatigued so my Doc switched me over to a diuretic (apo hydro) after about 1.5 months. I didn't find the switchover to be hard. I defanitely feel alot less groggy from day to day. I am really hoping to get this down on my own eventually and get off the meds completely.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
(female)

jdchablis HB User

I am currently trying to wean myself off Atenolol. I have been taking it for about 5 months and have never felt so bad in my life. I was taking .25 mg once a day, and cut that down to 1/2 tablet about a week ago. Today I only took 1/4 tablet. I have felt so bad for the past 2 months with pressure in the head, neck ache, back ache, humming ears, plus ear infections. I have become anxious from all these bad feelings! I go to my doctor tomorrow and I know she isn't going to be happy with me cutting the meds down on my own, but I am desperate at this point to feel half normal again. I agree Atenolol is a terrible drug and I have also read so many reports from people with bad side effects. It helps me to read everyone's input on here, so thanks everyone, and I wish you all luck!

Judy

Old 05-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

The more I read about atenolol side effects, the more scared I'm getting. I've been taking it for a few years now - 50 mg. daily along with 40 mg of micardis. Did everyone who decreased their dose, do it on the doctor's recommendation? I won't do anything until I see my doctor next week. I was taking the atenolol with a diuretic, but my potassium level was a little bit low, so he took me off it and replaced it with Micardis. I'm always tired, feeling "dragged" down, and now I'm thinking it must be the atenolol. I wonder how my BP would be without all these drugs???

Old 05-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Atenolol is a beta blocker like toprol xl. I wouldn't stop taking it abruptly bcuz it can cause bp spikes. You could decrease the dosage gradually. Beta blockers can cause fatigue and tiredness. My mom took toprol xl 100 mgs with hctz, and other bp meds, she had the same feeling among other things.

Some doctors don't like to change a bp med if it is working even if the patient complains of unbearable side effects.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I would never stop taking or decrease a drug dosage by myself. I'll speak to my doctor next week. I know they don't like to take you off something that is working. I wonder if all beta blockers have these side effects. Aren't they important in lowering high BP?

Old 05-17-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
(female)

jdchablis HB User

I had my doctor appointment today and told her that I had been weaning myself off the atenolol, and she didn't seem to concerned that I did this on my own, due to the unbearable side effects. She told me to just go ahead and take the fluid pill and see how that works for lowering the bp. I started taking 1/2 pill about 10 days ago, and in the last 4 days cut it down to 1/4. Tomorrow I won't take any at all, but will start the fluid pill. The only thing I noticed so far is my head has cleared up a bit, not as much squeezing pain, and my neck feels somewhat better. I still have ringing in the ears. Wonder how long it takes for the drug to get completely out of your system? I find that I am, however, getting anxious at this point just because I am dwelling on this whole thing too much and it is making me quite nervous; seems like it is on my mind constantly and I sit and wait to see what will happen next. Hard not to do that!!!

Judy

Old 05-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

After several years my sister stopped Ziac yesterday. She thought she was taking a calcium channel blocker (no computer, poor dear!) when all the time she was taking bisoprolol + HCTZ...yet another beta-blocker, but expensive!

She hated the drug and said it made her fatigued, depressed and confused.

There just is no good reason to take these drugs unless you also have either tachycardia, angina, or heart failure. Plain vanilla hypertension is just not good enough a reason.

Closed Thread