It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 05:20 PM   #1

LisaGS HB User
High Blood pressure, meds not working

My BP has been up for about a month now.

Started on benicar. No improvement. Added Toprol XL with some improvement. Even on the meds, the BP is 140-150/90-100.

Had a renal artery ultrasound. This showed "no evidence of significant renal artery obstructive disease". The report also says "luminal irregularities of the abdominal aorta". Not sure what that means. I read the report at home after I left the doctor's office, so haven't had a chance to ask yet.

Doctor was concerned that my pulse is in the 90s and bp is still up even though on Toprol.

I am scheduled for a cardiolyte stress test test next week.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have been 100 % healthy up until the blood pressure problem recently. I am a 36 year old female.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Re: High Blood pressure, meds not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaGS
My BP has been up for about a month now.

Started on benicar. No improvement. Added Toprol XL with some improvement. Even on the meds, the BP is 140-150/90-100.

Had a renal artery ultrasound. This showed "no evidence of significant renal artery obstructive disease". The report also says "luminal irregularities of the abdominal aorta". Not sure what that means. I read the report at home after I left the doctor's office, so haven't had a chance to ask yet.

Doctor was concerned that my pulse is in the 90s and bp is still up even though on Toprol.

I am scheduled for a cardiolyte stress test test next week.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have been 100 % healthy up until the blood pressure problem recently. I am a 36 year old female.

Lisa,

First off, your BP numbers are not all that bad. If anything a higher pulse rate is a little more cause for concern but even then, yours is not really really high.

It sounds as though the Toprol is a good starting point as the only thing I know of that will drop pulse rates are beta blockers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2006, 05:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Lisa,

The "luminal irregularities of the abdominal aorta" indicate plaque in your aorta that is showing up as variations in the diameter in the inner "hole" in your aorta.
The cardiolite stress test will determione whether your heart circulation is compromised as a result of plaque under the theory that plaque somewhere (abdomen) might mean plaque somewhere else (heart vessels.)
It's good you are having the cardiolite stress done because a good result will clear you of cardiac worries.

If the Benicar caused "no improvement" then drop the Benicar...adding more and more useless drugs only benefits the pharmaceutical companies (and Benicar isn't cheap.)
Usually if Benicar (for Renin hypertension) doesn't work, a diuretic (for salt-sensitive volume hypertension) will.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-04-2006 at 05:04 AM.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #4

LisaGS HB User

Thanks to both of you for the responses.

The luminal irregularities language really had me confused....thanks for explaining it to me Lenin.

I agree on the Benicar....a total waste of money if something isn't working.

Last edited by LisaGS; 03-04-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Closed Thread