It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Does High Pulse Rate and Elevated Blood Pressure Go Hand In Hand

Awakening in the middle of the night with a racing heart, I also have elevated blood pressure. I go to bed with normal pressure and wake up a few hours later wondering why the elevationhas occured during my sleep? So the question is, does a racing heart happen because blood pressure is elevated, or does blood pressure elevation cause a racing heart? Last nite I was 175/100/100. It went down taking a small piece of Xanax. If this were a heart problem, would the Xanax bring the numbers down in about a hour's time? I am assuming this is an anxiety problem but on the off chance it isn,t I am just curious. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:03 AM   #2
(male)

Har HB User
Cool Re: Does High Pulse Rate and Elevated Blood Pressure Go Hand In Hand

The answer you recieved is correct ---pulse & heart rate are generally unrelated. Example I have hyperaldosteronism which causes secondary
hypertension. It is under control with medication --110/75 BUT my pulse rate ,when very relaxed can decrease to as low as high 40's.
Even if I'm very active my pressure could rise as high as yours but my
rate wouuld be in low 50's

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2006, 06:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Does High Pulse Rate and Elevated Blood Pressure Go Hand In Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolasmom
So the question is, does a racing heart happen because blood pressure is elevated, or does blood pressure elevation cause a racing heart?
In most cases, there is a definite relationship between high blood pressure and erratic heart rhythm. The same causal factors that increase blood pressure can also disrupt normal heart rhythm.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-05-2006 at 08:14 AM.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
(male)

Har HB User

Heart rates increase to compensate for insufficient blood flows to the heart

Old 03-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
(male)

Har HB User

what do you mean by IRRATIC ?????

Old 03-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har
Heart rates increase to compensate for insufficient blood flows to the heart
The impact of changes in the body's hormones, cytokines and other chemicals can influence both blood pressure and heart rhythm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har
what do you mean by IRRATIC ?????
I meant erratic, (opppps), but I am sure that your question is not about spelling.

Changes in hormones, cytokines and other chemicals can cause the heart to race (tachycardias), to beat too slowly(bradycardias), to skip beats, to pause, to do double beats, to beat too strongly, in other words, for the heartbeat to be erratic.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 03-06-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
(male)

Redneck Joe HB User

One time, my pulse was 138, but my blood pressure was 126/69. That makes me think that blood pressure and the pulse aren't entirely related.

Last edited by Redneck Joe; 03-06-2006 at 12:16 AM.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Joe
One time, my pulse was 138, but my blood pressure was 126/69. That makes me think that blood pressure and the pulse aren't entirely related.
There are different causes for heart rhythm problems, and different causes for high blood pressure, other than due to body chemistry. In your case, if your heart wasn't pumping effectively, during your heart rhythm problems, it could have caused a lower blood pressure rather than a high blood pressure. When the heart is racing, it is usually not pumping effectively. Frequently during heart rhythm disturbances, the heart is not pumping effectively.

Your heart might have been pumping effectively, despite the heart rhythm problems, but your heart rhythm problems might not have been caused by the same types of hormones and cytokines that frequently cause high blood pressure. There are also other causes of high blood pressure other than hormonal. I happen to believe that the majority of high blood pressure problems and the majority of heart rhythm problems are effected by the body's hormones, cytokines and other body chemicals.

During clinical trials, often hundreds of patients are tested, because of the many different reactions to the same meds, and because of the variety of individual reactions and side effects.

Your health reaction, or my health reaction, might reflect what can happen to someone else, but we can never say definitively that our reactions will be the same as someone else's reactions.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Closed Thread