It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Coffee a natural diuretic? I didn't know that!

After decades of incapacitating heart disease, my blood pressure has now been at a healthy level for an extended period of time. My overall health and energy have finally improved to the point that, over the past several months, I am feeling really good and strong almost all of the time. This surprises me because, at my age, with my heart disease, I didn't think that I would ever see results like these.

I take my blood pressure readings about seven times per day (17,000 readings over 7 years), so if my blood pressure goes out of whack at any time of the day, I'll know about it, and be able to make changes. With, what used to be, advanced heart disease, I had no choice. Either get my blood pressure down, or I would be dead or worse.

So...... I've been experimenting. Quite a few months ago, I significantly increased the salt in my diet. There has been no effect on my blood pressure, so I no longer worry about the salt in my diet.

Then I started drinking caffeinated coffee. I've been off of all caffeine products for a long time because they cause my heart rhythm to go nuts.

The caffeinated coffee is having little effect on either my blood pressure or my heart rhythm. This puzzles me because it always caused major problems with my heart rhythm in the past. I am guessing that, with the improvement in my health, I am also experiencing fewer problems with things that used to bother me.

But! I have to urinate much more often now that I've resumed drinking coffee. The coffee gives me a lot more energy, so I will trade trips to the bathroom, for a shot of more energy. I looked 'coffee diuretics' up on the Internet and found many articles stating that coffee is a natural diuretic. But, I thought that diuretics lowered the blood pressure. This coffee "diuretic" is having no effect on my blood pressure!?

Anyone have the same experience with coffee? Does it lower your blood pressure or raise it or?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-17-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Re: Coffee a natural diuretic? I didn't know that!

Beerzoids,

Yes, coffee, or should I say "caffeine" is INDEED a natural diuretic ! Just look at some of the OTC water pills such a Diurex (I think) and you will see caffeine as the major ingredient.

When I worked with a crew of several people (including a few Amish)we used to stop neary every morning for coffee. We always had a saying..."Drink a cup pi** a quart"
It seemed to affect ALL of us that way.

Now, when it comes to decaf coffee THAT is another story. I still think it has a diuretic affect but not nearly as much as the caffeinated kind.

Personally, I think coffee is good for you or at least not bad. I have known tons of people that have drank it all their lives well into their 80's with no problem, my dad being one.

BTW, glad you are doing so much better. It sure feels good when one finally discovers what ails them and can take steps to correct it. Has your heart disease subsided to the point of no longer needing intervention?

Last edited by Stumper; 03-08-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hello,

You know these days I'm thinking about the same issue and I have done 2 experiments to know the effects of TEA on my blood pressure. People drink a lot of tea all the day and I knew that tea is natural diuretic and drs say that it will not raise blood pressure at all. Anyway, I didn't drink Tea until last year and few days ago I finally knew that it was the tea that causing my irregular heart rhythm and after more few days I will tell it it's raising my blood pressure or not.

Today I haven't drunk tea and I feel that my heart rate is very very good and I have no problem breathing like when I was drinking tea and I guess that it will get better after few days. Also I have noticed that drinking tea take my Anxiety to the next level.

One more thing, When I drink coffee my blood pressure goes way up so I never drink it. I mean that the effect, on my blood pressure, of coffee is greater than tea.
I'm also glad and happy that you are living healthy and I hope that I can do the same.
Thanks,
Michael

Last edited by cartner; 03-08-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumper
Now, when it comes to decaf coffee THAT is another story. I still think it has a diuretic affect but not nearly as much as the caffeinated kind.
I drink one cup caffeinated in the morning for an early burst of energy, and one cup decaf in the early evening. If I drink the decaf too late at night, I'll be up all night tripping over things on the way to the bathroom. So far, I can't tell the difference between caffeinated and decaf, as far as potty breaks.

Quote:
BTW, glad you are doing so much better. It sure feels good when one finally discovers what ails them and can take steps to correct it.
Thanks! At one time, I was getting so bad that I made final changes to my will and set up all my final legal and financial affairs. My legs were swelling. I had constant breathing problems. I had to sleep sitting up (ugh!). I HAD TO SLEEP SITTING UP! THAT WAS MISERABLE! I felt weak, tired and fatigued most of the time. It was a very bad time in my life. Fortunately, I am doing much better. Thanks again for the friendly words!

Quote:
Has your heart disease subsided to the point of no longer needing intervention?
Well..... I am no longer considered for a heart transplant. I couldn't have a heart transplant now, anyway, because of my age. I am still on several heart medicines, but I've been able to reduce or eliminate a couple of them, so I am dealing with fewer side effects. But, I will probably always be on heart medicines for both blood pressure and heart rhythm problems. A small price to pay for improved health and a better outlook on life!

Best of luck and health to you!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 03-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hello beerzoids,

Have you tried all the High BP Drug Classes?? which worked best for you?
I'm very happy that to know that you are doing well
Thanks,
Michael

Old 03-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellabibat
Hello beerzoids,

Have you tried all the High BP Drug Classes?? which worked best for you?
I'm very happy that to know that you are doing well
Thanks,
Michael
Back seven years ago, when I started taking my blood pressure many times throughout the day and night, I kept really good records of my medicine schedule. I wanted to see which medicine helped my blood pressure and which ones didn't.

The most effective medicine for me is Verapamil, a calcium channel blocker.

The second most effective medicine was Quinapril, an Ace Inhibitor. But, without the Verapamil the Quinapril does not lower my blood pressure enough.

I have also tried slow release nitro. It wasn't effective. It also gave me headaches for hours, and it caused heart rhythm problems, especially at night, all night.

Diuretics reduced my blood pressure, but I had to take them every day to do that, and when I took them every day they caused heart rhythm problems. I was also worried about the relationship between diuretics and diabetes, so after I made a real pain in the arse of myself with my cardiologist, my cardiologist stopped my diuretics.

I've tried beta blockers, but they caused too many heart rhythm and breathing problems for me.

ARBs, Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers, did lower my blood pressure but gave me too many heart rhythm problems. My heart would jump around and thump all night long, so I stopped taking ARBS and my blood pressure went back up a few points.

I also tried taking deep breaths and letting them out fully and slowly. It really helps. After a few minutes of this deep breathing, my heart beats stronger and I feel better.

So, at the beginning, after months of blood pressure readings and notes, I increased my Verapamil, through my very understanding and cooperative Cardiologist, and eliminated my slow release nitro, eliminated my diuretic, eventually eliminated my ARB, but kept taking the ACEI and the Verapamil.

I soon found out that, getting on the correct, most effective blood pressure meds, and taking them at the best time of the day, wasn't enough. As the years went by, my average blood pressure readings slowly and gradually got worse, and so did my health.

In order to lower my blood pressure and improve my health, and stop my slow decent towards death and/or incapacitation, I had to make major changes to my diet and my lifestyle, along with taking the most effective blood pressure meds at the best time of day. I found out that, diet and lifestyle changes had such a profound impact on my health, that I could lower my Verapamil dosage. I now take less than the minimum dose recommended for Verapamil and the minimum dose of Quinapril.

In summary, while the meds that help you, might not be the same as those that help me, the thing that I believe is essential for your, or I, or anyone, to lower their blood pressure and improve their health, is a combination of the most effective blood pressure medications at the most effective time(s) of the day, and a healthy diet AND a healthy lifestyle.

Hope this helps! Best of luck and health!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-08-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Beerzoids,

I think that you have discovered some great combinations for health.

When it comes to CHF, I think, the idea is to bring the body to match the heart output so that it does not exceed it.

Also, I kind of like the Verapamil also. If I am not mistaken it has shown to actually INCREASE endurance in some tests. When I first took it I actually felt about 20 years younger. But that is me. So I kind of have a love for it , if that is possible. Have you tried the extended release version or just the regular kind? Which do you like better?

Old 03-08-2006, 11:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hello beerzoids,

I also think that the Cardiazim SR is the best medicine I have been on but it's not that effective alone. I have gained 20 lbs and maybe this is the reason that meds are not working well for me.

Do you think that if I exericse 6 times weekly, 1 hour each time, this will help reducing blood pressure besides the Cardiazim?
I started Lasix 40 mg few days ago too and I still feel the same so I'm waiting to see if it has effect on me or not.
Thanks,
Michael

Old 03-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Beerzoids,

I think that you have discovered some great combinations for health.

When it comes to CHF, I think, the idea is to bring the body to match the heart output so that it does not exceed it.

Also, I kind of like the Verapamil also. If I am not mistaken it has shown to actually INCREASE endurance in some tests. When I first took it I actually felt about 20 years younger. But that is me. So I kind of have a love for it , if that is possible. Have you tried the extended release version or just the regular kind? Which do you like better?
I haven't tried the extended release form. I've found out that I have to take my verapamil at least two hours away from calcium based foods and drinks or I will suffer from increased arrhythmias, so I don't dare try the extended release Verapamil.

I had a similar experience, as you, to the Verapamil. It has been the only heart med that made me feel better right after taking it. So, as you, I have a love for my Verapamil. Not all meds work the same for all people, but with the amazing discoveries, like calcium channel blockers and ACEIs and Beta Blockers, people with heart disease are living a lot longer and a lot better.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 03-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
I haven't tried the extended release form. I've found out that I have to take my verapamil at least two hours away from calcium based foods and drinks or I will suffer from increased arrhythmias, so I don't dare try the extended release Verapamil.

I had a similar experience, as you, to the Verapamil. It has been the only heart med that made me feel better right after taking it. So, as you, I have a love for my Verapamil. Not all meds work the same for all people, but with the amazing discoveries, like calcium channel blockers and ACEIs and Beta Blockers, people with heart disease are living a lot longer and a lot better.

Beerzoids,

What strength of Verapamil do you take? I have taken 120 Mg. in extended release 1 time per day BUT like you I think I might do better with 3 REGULAR tablets 40Mg. per day. I know....Verapamil CAN cause heart palps in some people, it has done that to me as well.

Yes, also I have found that Verapamil has helped me sleep real well too. Funny thing...when I took it before bed I can lay there and within 20 minutes I feel warmth all through my chest and then it goes right down to my feet ! It actually feels quite good.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Beerzoids,

What strength of Verapamil do you take? I have taken 120 Mg. in extended release 1 time per day BUT like you I think I might do better with 3 REGULAR tablets 40Mg. per day. I know....Verapamil CAN cause heart palps in some people, it has done that to me as well.
I take Verapamil 80mg, 2x per day.

Quote:
Yes, also I have found that Verapamil has helped me sleep real well too. Funny thing...when I took it before bed I can lay there and within 20 minutes I feel warmth all through my chest and then it goes right down to my feet ! It actually feels quite good.
I've had a completely different reaction. I can't take Verapamil at night. If I do, it slows my heart down too much, makes the beat too weak, and I have difficulty breathing. Before I made some changes to my environment and lifestyle, I used to be able to take Verapamil at night. I've made some more changes, so I don't know what my reaction to Verapamil at night would be now, but I don't want to test it.

I've found out that many medicines react differently based on diet, environment and lifestyle. That's probably one of the reasons, besides genetics, why they have to test a new heart medicine on so many people.

Getting back on topic...... I think that the daily two cups of coffee is having a lowering effect on my blood pressure. Over the past two weeks, my average blood pressure has been getting lower and lower, despite an increase in stress and despite another increase in the amount of salt in my diet.

Can the diuretic effects of coffee really reduce blood pressure? The only bad side is that I used to be able to go out for hours without having to hit the john. I hate going in a public bathroom.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-17-2006 at 05:41 PM.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Beerzoids,

Personally, I think caffienated coffee can INITIALLY raise BP (for whatever reasons), but then, because of the diuretic affect may actually lower it a small amount.
Problem is....once it goes up it makes one feel the need to pop a BP pill, so it ought to be tested more.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

It's true enough: There's a real difference btwn regular and designer coffee. And expresso-based drinks do wire me and cause the bp to go up. Regular coffeee, I think,
you quickly develop a tolerance for and then the bp effects are minimal.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal7778
It's true enough: There's a real difference btwn regular and designer coffee. And expresso-based drinks do wire me and cause the bp to go up. Regular coffeee, I think,
you quickly develop a tolerance for and then the bp effects are minimal.
Man, is this confusing. I quit an ARB in Nov 2005. My blood pressure jumped up about five points, which was still at a healthy level, and stayed at that level for a couple of months. Then my BP started back down, and for the past two months my "average" blood pressure is setting new healthy lows for me, even lower than when I was taking the ARB!

I frequently make changes to my environment, diet or lifestyle so I don't know if it was those changes, or if the lowering of my blood pressure is due to the diuretic effect of the coffee, or both??? Also...... did it take my body two months to fully withdraw from the effects of the ARB?

At any rate, I am pleased. I would much rather make a change to my diet, lifestyle or environment than to take additional heart meds.

I haven't tried expresso. With my heart rhythm problems, expresso would probably make my heart jump around like a pinball machine.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 03-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

One qualification, a whole morning full of coffee drinking (mine today) can also make you anxious enough to push up the bp. That happened to me today. The effect wore off after a couple of hours. So the caffeine produces the anxiety that produces the bp rise. But I still say that the any permanent effect on the bp of drinking a pretty stiff amount of cofee regularly is pretty small, in my case at least. Of course anyone with any brains with hbp would lay off all salt and all caffeine and all refined carbs, and maybe all red meat and almost all beer. But that's crazy talk...

Closed Thread