It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
(male)

Dutchman063 HB User
What should i do?

3 weeks ago my doctor decided to put me on BPmeds(lisinopril) because my white coat hypertension was high when i was in his office..i told him my BP within normal range 119-138/78-88when im home and relaxed but he insisted i take them...so i say ok..i go and buy a home BP machine so i can keep track of my readings at home.. i take my readings at home for 3 weeks then go back to the doctor today and he says my readings look good and we have them under control..the thing is i never took any of the lisinopril for the 3 weeks i was suppose to..and he thought i was taking them...what should i do?...i dont want to be on these meds if i dont have to

btw...i had blood test done (all normal) i had an EKG done (he said all looked good) and i had an echocardiogram(he said i looked good)

Last edited by Dutchman063; 03-10-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: What should i do?

Dutchman,

Of course you don't want or need to take the lisinopril...even your doctor agreed (although he didn't know it.)
You have two choices now:
1. Tell him you didn't take the drugs and have him throw a fit...and then get a new doctor because he showed himself to be as mature as a 4 year old.
2. Never tell him because you'd like to keep him as your doctor.

There is a RARE possiblity that you can tell him and he'd laugh it off and say, well, of course you don't need medication...but then I think Dr. Albert Schweitzer died a while ago .

Basically, when you told him your readings before the drug and he didn't believe you, he called you a liar so I think the best procedure is to find another doctor...one who believes his patients.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
(female)

omalll HB User

I would tell him you didnt take the medication. I think its important to be completely honest with your doctor so that they can be the best in helping you... Although, heh, you may want to reconsider doctors. He/she shouldn't be giving you meds if he believes you have white coat syndrome, especially if you have shown consistently normal readings at home over a long period of time.
I have white coat syndrome AND my bp was too high on my own anyway (its like 170/100 at the doctor's office and it was around 145/95 (consistently) when I'd take it on my own. I take a medication, and now its normal on my own, and still skyrockets at the doctor's office. go figure. but at least I know its under control now on a daily basis, which is what is important.
if your doctor gets mad, big deal. say you didnt believe you needed medication and wanted to take time to see your everyday at home readings. If he's a good doctor he'd understand, because it wasnt that you were being negligent - you were just being concerned about your REAL health.
go you.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
(male)

Dutchman063 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalll
I would tell him you didnt take the medication. I think its important to be completely honest with your doctor so that they can be the best in helping you... Although, heh, you may want to reconsider doctors. He/she shouldn't be giving you meds if he believes you have white coat syndrome, especially if you have shown consistently normal readings at home over a long period of time.
I have white coat syndrome AND my bp was too high on my own anyway (its like 170/100 at the doctor's office and it was around 145/95 (consistently) when I'd take it on my own. I take a medication, and now its normal on my own, and still skyrockets at the doctor's office. go figure. but at least I know its under control now on a daily basis, which is what is important.
if your doctor gets mad, big deal. say you didnt believe you needed medication and wanted to take time to see your everyday at home readings. If he's a good doctor he'd understand, because it wasnt that you were being negligent - you were just being concerned about your REAL health.
go you.
my only problem is that i was honest from the very beginning..i told him my readings were higher in the office and within limits at home but he didnt believe me anyway..i have a feeling if i tell him now it wont make a bit of difference..99.9% says he tells me to stay on the meds to save his own face

Old 03-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman063
3 weeks ago my doctor decided to put me on BPmeds(lisinopril) because my white coat hypertension was high when i was in his office..i told him my BP within normal range 119-138/78-88when im home and relaxed but he insisted i take them...so i say ok..i go and buy a home BP machine so i can keep track of my readings at home.. i take my readings at home for 3 weeks then go back to the doctor today and he says my readings look good and we have them under control..the thing is i never took any of the lisinopril for the 3 weeks i was suppose to..and he thought i was taking them...what should i do?...i dont want to be on these meds if i dont have to

btw...i had blood test done (all normal) i had an EKG done (he said all looked good) and i had an echocardiogram(he said i looked good)

Dutchman,

As hard as it is...and I know it can be hard...it is, in the end, BEST to be honest with your doc. Why? So that you can get a proper diagnosis or at least what APPEARS to be a proper diagnosis.
The temptation can be great sometimes to fool the ol' doc. But if we fool em, then we may not get what we need.

Besides that, I think that docs are not all that dumb. They know, and probably are aware that many patients can try to get away with things. My mother...when she was in the hospital tried to fool the docs and it didn't work. She took all her meds and hid them in the potted plant next to her bed !
They thought something was fishy and found them !

She hated drugs AND doctors. BUT...and I mean BUT...when she had surgery on her shoulder once from a severe auto accident and was in extreme pain..she LOVED her painkiller as it relieved her pain and put her to sleep, which she said was wonderful !

Last edited by Stumper; 03-11-2006 at 09:43 PM.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
(male)

Dutchman063 HB User

Well i just returned from the doctors and told him about how i havent been taking the meds and how my BP readings at home were still good and he basically said "well thats good news" and since all my test came back good "we dont need to treat you for hypertentsion"...but too keep monitoring it at home...good news for me..

Closed Thread