It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

yanksgirl HB User
Question extreme hot and red face for 45 min.

[B]This is a puzzle. It happens quite often after exercise or sometimes if I'm just 'excited' like watching a good play, Movie etc. I take Toprol XL 100 mg. once a day, and Diovan 80 mg. once a day plus 25 mg of HCTZ for h/bp.
When it happens it's almost like a 'hot flash' but it doesn't necessarily cause me to perspire, I just get really red and hot on my face and forehead only. It happens sort of quickly and makes me feel really warm.
I mentioned it to my doctor and he 'doesn't have a clue' d. He said it wasn't anything to worry about since my blood work is ok and b/p is 145/70 & doing ok. I do have Raynaud's and he said that isn't related to this. I'm in my upper 60's (female) so wonder if anyone here has had similar experiences and if so, what causes it? Thanks[/B]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
(female)

kidd123 HB User
Re: extreme hot and red face for 45 min.

Well, it seems like it could be several things going on, but those two symptoms are similar to what I experienced recently. My dr did alot of bloodwork and found that I had a high ANA and positive DNA AB which, along with my Raynauds, led to a diagnosis of Lupus. I woke up one evening from a nap with the classic malar (butterfly-shaped) rash which only lasted about an hour, but the hot, red face that I have experienced has appeared often recently.
Just wanted to suggest that your Dr might be able to rule some things out with more blood tests for autoimmune diseases. Hopefully,though, you will not have anything serious. Take care and God bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

pulltab HB User

That happenst to me when I get excited, nervous or something. I get really red and feel hot and kind of sweaty. I never really thought much of it.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd123
Well, it seems like it could be several things going on, but those two symptoms are similar to what I experienced recently. My dr did alot of bloodwork and found that I had a high ANA and positive DNA AB which, along with my Raynauds, led to a diagnosis of Lupus. I woke up one evening from a nap with the classic malar (butterfly-shaped) rash which only lasted about an hour, but the hot, red face that I have experienced has appeared often recently.
Just wanted to suggest that your Dr might be able to rule some things out with more blood tests for autoimmune diseases. Hopefully,though, you will not have anything serious. Take care and God bless!
I did think of that and asked my doctor specifically about the possible connection of the Raynaud's and since he had done alot of blood work early on when I presented with Raynaud's, he said that wasn't related to it.
He says I have 'primary Raynaud's' not related to Lupus. However, I have read that one can develop into secondary. Did your's start out as just the Raynaud's or did you have other symptoms? Thanks so much for your reply.
yanksgirl

Old 05-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #5
(female)

kidd123 HB User

Yes, my first diagnosis was 26 years ago--Raynauds. I had gone to a cardiologist & he ordered blood tests which showed a high rheumatoid factor.
So he minimized the Raynauds and took me in his main office to give me the sad news that I had rheumatoid arthritis. Back then, they didn't know that people test positive in some of these autoimmune blood tests, but don't have any signs of the disease, and may not EVER have any symptoms. Still I went to many rheumatologists for several years, but they all determined that I did not have rheumatoid arthritis. However, I did go on to develop Sjogren's Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and just recently Lupus. All autoimmune diseases.
But that is my case. The symptoms of a red & hot face could be other things, like rosacea or an allergic reaction, the list goes on and on. Just wanted to share with you that it is also a symptom of people with Lupus.
We have an abnormal sensitivity to the sun which makes our skin react.
Sure hope that your problem goes away soon. Oh, I wanted to also mention that I was on HCTZ very low dose for about a year, and when that didn't lower my bp, the dr had me try Toprol XL. It made me so sick, that I ended up in the ER. Sometimes I wonder if the HCTZ brought on the Lupus, but there is no way to tell. It was interesting for me to see that we had been on the same drugs. I am 52 yrs old.

Last edited by kidd123; 05-22-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

Sounds like you've had a time over the years. I do hope mine is only temporary and just another of the 'aging' things. My Raynaud's only began about 2 years ago at age 66. I've read where it can 'go away' on it's own too. I'm hoping that happens. The Toprol XL is for heart palpitations and the Diovan and HCTZ along with the Toprol are for hbp. I've tried other meds with bad reactions and so far these have given minimal ones. Mostly fatigue at times and frequent bathroom trips. I only started on the hctz and Diovan this year. Who knows, the red face could be due to one or more of them. I appreciate your input. Thanks. Take care.
yanksgirl

Old 08-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
(female)

TraciK HB User

HI, I am 37, and too have been having the red face hot feel, it sounds just like yours. In the last couple of months they have been telling my blood pressure is high for my age. A few weeks a go I had a kidney stone blasted and though maybe that was something to do with it. But, it is still happening. It is happening right now, that is why I am on the board. I was trying to see if this a bp symton. Did you ever find out what was causing your? THanks Traci

Closed Thread