It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

dyannem HB User
How to wean off Toprol

I have been on Toprol for over 10 years. I was originally put on it for hyperthyroid condition and docs insisted I stay on it for borderline high blood pressure. They never told me about the dangers of going off of this drug but I suspect it is why they never let me switch. I have a new doctor and she relented and switched me to Hyzaar but said to wean off the Toprol very slowly. I have cut back to a half a dose every day but I am not sure where to go from here. I have felt very bad all week - chest pain, rapid heartbeat, short of breath, shaky, hot flashes. Is this all temporary?

While taking this drug I have gained 40 pounds and I am so fatigued all the time it was often hard to work or clean the house etc. My thinking felt very slow to me at times as well. I checked the Medco website and I was shocked at the huge list of warnings and side effects with this drug. I definitely want off of it and I am wondering about anyone else's experience doing this.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

violet312s HB User
Re: How to wean off Toprol

Your post is very timely...I was about to post my Toprol weaning experience.

I had been on 50mg once a day for a year, then 100mg twice a day for 4 weeks.

Here was my weaning schedule:
- Half dose two weeks (not recommended to go 100 to 50..do 100 to 75)
- Quarter dose two weeks
- Eighth dose two weeks
- Eighth dose once a day (will probably stick with that one)

Cut out my mid day dose today. Yes, you will get a spike in BP and heart rate on the first day of each weaning. You will feel not very good so try to keep your mind off what your heart is doing. But in my experience they last about 6 hours and then subside. You may have a few mini-spikes during this process the first week of each tapering schedule.

Gradual is the #1 message. Very gradual. You have to get your body used to not having the Toprol crutch on heart rate. I would strongly not recommend going from 100 to 50 if that's what you're on. That day was awful (thought my heart would explode).

Your experience may vary...but do it very gradually. Your doctor can work with you on lower prescriptions so you can cut the pills in half.

There's a reason why there are strong warnings not to stop beta-blockers suddenly. Frankly, I think the warnings should be even stronger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
(female)

violet312s HB User

Posting an update to my own reply in the hope it helps....day two of no mid-day dose was not terribly pleasant. Had about a 2 hour episode where heart was absolutely pounding. Day three had no major episodes but anxiety level is high and heart just feels "off".

Amazing what these beta-blockers do to the body. And to think I'm still on a 12.5mg dose at night and I still had this level of withdrawal.

So again, do not taper off beta-blockers unless under a doctor's supervision and advice, and always go for very, very, very gradual no matter what your doctor says (mine had said to go from 100 to 50 to zero...I corrected her after the initial tapering response).

Hope my experience helps you work with your doctor to taper off the Toprol.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

dyanna,

Stay with that half dose AT LEAST another week. Don't go down another notch until you feel fine with the half dose...even if it takes a MONTH!

Old 06-30-2006, 05:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I weaned off Atenolol last fall after 17 yrs. I experenced all the same symptoms you mentioned. I went from 100mgs to 50-25-12.5 and then just shaving crumbs from my 12.5 doses. It took me several months to get the courage to go all day without a "fix". The first day I thought I might die. The pounding heart, shortness of breath, dizziness were relentless but I forced myself to go on. Each day afterward got a little better till I felt almost human again.
It's been almost 8 months and I still have bouts of symptoms but not often, maybe 1 or 2 days amonth. I wonder sometimes if my heart will ever be the way it was.
I encourage you to continue BUTvery slowly. Like Lenin said don't cut back untill you are comfortable with your current dose.
GOOD LUCK!!
Cass

Old 07-01-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
(female)

Very Unhappy HB User

I went total cold turkey after taking Atenolol for about 3.5 months. I was fine but I was very lucky! I just stopped taking it one day without my doctor even knowing. I would rather have died than carried on living the way I was then.

My life now? Great!!!! My average BP is about 130/78 and I have lost loads of weight. I have two jobs now and my life is where it was before I was on that horrible drug.

I live in the UK and a couple of nights ago it was on the news that Betablockers should not be the FIRST choice for treating people with hypertension.......

I wish you luck.

XXXX Christine XXXXX

Old 07-01-2006, 05:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Unhappy

I live in the UK and a couple of nights ago it was on the news that Betablockers should not be the FIRST choice for treating people with hypertension.......

I very much agree and think that a DIURETIC should be the first line of treatment. It WOULD be too if the diuretics were expensive and under patent protection...then doctors would LOVE to prescribe them.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
(female)

Hypergirl48 HB User

Are you guys on Toprol XL, the extended release version? (Don't know if there's is a Toprol that's not extended release.) I'm on that right now for racing heart due to my hyperthyroid condition. I've been on 50 and just four days ago, the heart rate went back up again. Went up to 75 and it didn't really help any (and I'm so dizzy), and my doc wants me to go up to 100 and see if that works.

Anybody have it working fine at a certain amount and the all of a sudden it doesn't work at that amount any more?

If you're taking XL, do any of you split the dose and take it twice a day instead of all at once?

From all I've read, when it's time to go off this, I think I'll wean myself off over six months or something!

Pam
6/06: Dx hyperT & Graves Disease. RAI 6/06. Current treatment: Synthroid

Old 07-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypergirl48
Are you guys on Toprol XL, the extended release version? (Don't know if there's is a Toprol that's not extended release.) I'm on that right now for racing heart due to my hyperthyroid condition. I've been on 50 and just four days ago, the heart rate went back up again. Went up to 75 and it didn't really help any (and I'm so dizzy), and my doc wants me to go up to 100 and see if that works.

Anybody have it working fine at a certain amount and the all of a sudden it doesn't work at that amount any more?

If you're taking XL, do any of you split the dose and take it twice a day instead of all at once?

From all I've read, when it's time to go off this, I think I'll wean myself off over six months or something!

Pam

My mom took toprol xl for about three yrs. She use to take split doses of toprol xl. She was on 100 mgs, but she had to stop taking it due to side effects. You are right to wean slowly off toprol xl when the time comes bcuz it can cause your bp to spike.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
(female)

CJJO HB User

I have only been taking toprol for barely 3 weeks and I want off! I was given a complete work up, ekg, heart monitor -the works and told I have no blockages, everything is fine but I have too much stress. Wow imagine that? Put me on 25mg a day for one week and then 2 times a day the second and I felt like crap. Slowed thinking, confusion, tired but insomnia, hard to breathe. He also gave me Xanax. Hell, I don't want anything! I can deal with stress with exercise and common sense. Now they want me to come back and to give me an alternative med. I relented and made an appointment but my mind is made up, I am calling them back and cancelling. I will wean myself off it shouldn't be too hard since I have only been on the crap for 20 days. This truly sucks. Now that I know that my pounding heart is stress and I need to approach it with common sense, I don't need drugs. Any input?
Why should I take drugs for something I don't have?

Closed Thread