HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High & Low Blood Pressure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/)
-   -   lately my blood pressures been rising bad? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/403889-lately-my-blood-pressures-been-rising-bad.html)

nikigrl8883 06-23-2006 01:30 PM

lately my blood pressures been rising bad?

im a 22yr old girl i have been sick for 2 months with no answers what ia too high for blood pressure sometimes mine goes up like 135/ something im not too sure what the bottom number is 90 something whats cause high bp? can it be anxiety or a disesae

l_reyna_1 06-23-2006 06:41 PM

Re: lately my blood pressures been rising bad?

the top number is high but as long as it doesn't go over 140 it's ok,,however, ir the bottom number is 90 or more then it is hbp bothnumbers matter..it could be for different reasons like if you are overweight stressed out. the main cause of hbp is unknown,,,my advise is don't freak out...i was like that at first with prehypertensia to mild hbp i monitored myself for 2 mths then went to the dr and showed him the notepad w/ all my reading...i checked myself 3x per day .....after he saw my readings he started me on tarka ..half a pill a day and now my readings are great...i am 33 yrss old and 83 pds overweight and with high colesterol so ...im on a diet:D ..so let me know what you think it could be and go to the doctor to get checked out ...oh and anxiety DOES raise bp........lorena

nikigrl8883 06-24-2006 08:46 AM

:blob_fire well i bought a bp cuff and it goes up and down soemtimes its high sometimes its low i dont get it most of the time its on the verge of being toohigh but not quite there

Uff-Da! 06-24-2006 09:55 AM

Everyone's blood pressure changes all the time. Exercise and stress make it go up. For most people sleeping makes it go down. Drinking caffeine often makes it go up. For some people, especially the elderly, eating makes it go down. So naturally your readings will vary some from time to time. For example, if you are stressed out about something and got inadequate sleep the night before, you are likely to have higher readings than on a day where you are properly rested and relaxed. Time of day also makes a difference. A lot of people have a higher blood pressure for an hour or two after they get up in the morning than they do later in the day.

Single blood pressure readings don't mean too much unless they are extreme one way or the other, like 88/56 or 220/130. Be sure you have been seated quietly at least five minutes when you take your pressure. Record your pressures and you might want to make note of any special circumstances, like "really stressed out today" or "only slept three hours last night." An [B]average of your readings over time[/B], like a month or so, gives you a much better picture of what your pressure really is than just a few readings. And the special notes may help you to see how you, as an individual, are affected by such things as stress, because we don't all react alike.

I personally have a blood pressure that can suddenly jump up 20 points systolic if I read the horrible news or talk to someone on the phone if I don't wait at least five minutes to "rest" afterwards before taking the reading. And I can sometimes make my SBP drop by up to 20 points just by taking a few deep breaths. I had one day about a month ago when my resting systolic readings ranged all the way from 93 to 161. Admittedly, that is extreme.

Uff-Da! 06-24-2006 10:24 AM

Oh, and if your [B]average[/B] blood pressure is still in the pre-hypertensive or low hypertensive range, you may well be able to lower it with diet. Just do a search on the DASH diet, which stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. It is a diet shown to lower BP in comparison to the usual American diet. For many people it can lower BP about as much as taking one blood pressure medication.

You say you have been sick for two months. Have you seen a doctor? Yes, some illnesses raise blood pressure. Others lower blood pressure. Since you gave us no hint of what your illness might be, we have no idea whether it might affect your BP or not. (Of course, since we aren't medical professionals, we might not know, either.) :D

nikigrl8883 06-24-2006 02:48 PM

what does it mean if the systolic number is low and the diastolic number is say in the 80s

Uff-Da! 06-24-2006 04:01 PM

An average reading of something like 115/85 would be considered to be in the prehypertensive stage. If [B]either[/B] the systolic (first number) is between 120 and 139 [B]or[/B] the diastolic (second number) is between 80 and 89, you would be considered in the prehypertensive stage. When pressures are elevated, in young people it is most common to see the diastolic be elevated first; in the elderly it is more common for the systolic to be elevated.

l_reyna_1 06-24-2006 07:06 PM

what r u sick of???? you said 4 the past few mths you have been sik...my suggestion is go to the doctor because if you get anxious or streesed out just thinking about it that could make it go higher.........i have a 17 year old and for a few mths he was getting reading of 130/54 and so ..the bottom number was high normal which is pre-hypertensia he was not fat but was slightly overweight he lost 22 pounds and three ..problem solved ....his bp went down to 106/60 ...110/62 ...it rises a little when he works oput but that is normal..so tell us are you overweight? stressed out?? what is the nature of your illness???????

Redneck Joe 06-27-2006 10:12 AM

Do you mean the [B][I]top[/I][/B] number was high normal, being prehypertensive? If anything, 54 is a bit on the low side, and 130 is slightly on the high side.

l_reyna_1 06-27-2006 02:10 PM

redneck joe...YESi mean 130 is high normal and of course it is prehypertensia now the bottom number was 58 and at times 64 65 62 but yes that is still normal readings ,,high normal readings that isand of course i worried bec i know that is prehypertensia...of course the dr would only say it's normal but being i have hbp i knew better than that :wave:

nikigrl8883 06-27-2006 06:03 PM

I Went To The Neuro Again To Day And My Blood Pressure Was Extremely High For My Age And My Heart Was Racing Really Face Tothe Point They Were Freaking Out... It Was Like 143 Over 91 And No If Anything Im Skinny Not Overwieght Ive Been Losing Wieght To Im Like 112lbs I Dont Know What To Do I Am Light Headed All Day Long And My Pulse Goes Way Up I Was Perscribed Topral I Was Trying To Take An Anti Depressent Wanst Helping And Zanax As Needed Not Helping Really....he Wont Do An Mri Yet Even Though I Think I Need One To Rule Out A Brain Tumor I Had An Eeg And Passed So He Doesnthink I Have Epilepsy But I Think Im Having Slight Seizure Activity I Defenatly Have Pre Hypertension...and My Bottom Number Is Usually On The High Side The Top One Goes Down... Sometimes Its Normal Even A Little Low But Most Of The Time Its Alittle High Then The Top Number Goes Up To If Its Really Bad....my Dad Has High Bp And So Did My Grandma But Im So Young I Dont Think They Had It This Young.. I Hat A Cat Scan And Passed But I Still Want Mri I Am Sick As A Dog

nikigrl8883 06-27-2006 06:11 PM

Great Now I M Afraid To Take Topral After Reading What People Have Written On Here He Said It Was A Safe One Thats Y He Perscribed It To Me

l_reyna_1 06-27-2006 07:57 PM

I AM REally SORRY U R SICK LIKE THAT, I TAKE half a pill BUT MY MED IS CALLED TARKA AS I TOLD U B4.....AND I AM MILD HYPERTENSIVE AT TIMES AND OTHERS I AM JUST PREHYPERTENSIVE...I HAVE HEARD STUFF ABOUT TOPRAL AND I HEAR PEOPLE WITH MILD HBP DON'T TAKE TOPRAL A LOT OF COURSE THERE'S OTHER PEOPLE HERE THAT HAVE USED THAT PILL and could give you better ADVISE. MY MED IS GREAT FOR ME W/NO SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL..ASK YOUR DR ABOUT OTHER OPTIONS.....AND LET US KNOW HOW UR DOING...THE BEST OF LUCK...:wave:

syxx_35 06-27-2006 07:59 PM

No matter what drug you are on, you will always find people who have the ill side effects. The best you can do is try the drugs out and hope they work. Fretting about the drugs given, and every little symptom you have will only make your hypertension even worse.

I was worried about atenonol when I started it last week and other than making me so groggy I could barely stay awake, it did its job. I was changed to lisinopril today and hope to have my BP stay down. Mine spiked to 190/120 with a pulse of 110, but once I started the meds I felt much better. Give it a try niki, and good luck.