It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
(male)

devie41 HB User
Drinking while taking BP meds ( lisinopril )

My question is. Is it ok to drink beer while on BP meds? I like to come home from work and have a few beers but not enouph to get drunk. Lisinopril works with me on lowering my BP but we all now that BP meds have side effects. Are these side effects worsen by drinking beer at night. What will hurt me first? ( BP meds or high BP ) What safe BP med can you take that will not harm you? Some people say that the BP meds will hurt you way before your high BP does. They also say that it takes more than one health poblem to cause a stroke or heart attack so if the only thing wrong with me is that I have high BP than why risk the after effects of BP meds. Reason why I am saying this is because I have tried differant types of BP meds and most all of them I had a bad reaction to them weather it was swelling or dizzy or just feeling nasty drawn out. When my BP was high I always felt ok. I know I have alot of questions but I feel many people have the same questions as I do. Thanks to all...................... :-)

Old 07-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
(male)

syxx_35 HB User
Re: Drinking while taking BP meds ( lisinopril )

I have been on lisinopril for 3 weeks, I drank a week ago, enough to get drunk and had no problems whatsoever. I know everyone says that drinking will increase your BP, but on lisinopril I had no problems. I am on 1x 20mg per day. I also take a small dosage diuretic and have had no issues. I have an asst. who takes the same pill and dosage and drinks 3 to 4 beers daily with no issues.

I was on atenolol for a week, and I had a few beers and I got extremely drunk fast but has no real issues with that either.

I would say your safe to drink, but try just having 2 or 3 the first time to make sure your ok with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by devie41
What will hurt me first? ( BP meds or high BP ) What safe BP med can you take that will not harm you? Some people say that the BP meds will hurt you way before your high BP does.
That is the million dollar question that I've been tortured with for years. Unfortunately all I can say is that I don't know. I am frightened that the next generation will find out what jackassses we all were for taking dangerous drugs by the megaton to treat a relatively innocuous condition.

As far as the booze goes, there's very little interaction except one that I've found ...when first taking beta-blockers, alcohol can lower your BP and your heart rate a lot more. So if you are taking a BB be careful of drinking and then doing anything that might be dangerous until you've learned what your response is to the combo.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-15-2006 at 05:13 AM.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
(male)

devie41 HB User

Thanks for all your responses......So far I have had no problems with lisinopril and drinking beer. I do know that since I drink, I will have to have regular blood tests to see if my liver/ kidneys are ok.................. :-)

Old 07-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
(male)

rigel434 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
That is the million dollar question that I've been tortured with for years. Unfortunately all I can say is that I don't know. I am frightened that the next generation will find out what jackassses we all were for taking dangerous drugs by the megaton to treat a relatively innocuous condition.
I think the ALLHAT study was pretty definitive that folks taking all CCBs, ACE inhibitors and diuretics each lived longer than they otherwise would have. So if you can tolerate the drugs, I say take them. In spite of my bad experience with hypomagnesemia resulting from chlorthalidone, I plan to get back on a different diuretic eventually.

Closed Thread