It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User
Beta Blocker making pulse too slow?

I am taking 50 mg metaprolol a day split, 25 in the AM and 25 PM. I recently added another 1/2 pill (12.5 mg) in the AM because my bp was getting high on the systolic again. Diastolic is fine.
I also take diovan 80/12.5 hct in the am and 80 straight up at night.
My concern is although my bp is now down, my pulse is sometimes in the lower 50's. Is this OK? I feel tired and kind of anxious at the same time. I think my pulse is too slow. I wish these darn meds would work for more than a few months. I always seem to build up a resistance to them no matter how well they work in the beginning.
Any suggestions? I used to be on Norvast also, byt side effects were awful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Beta Blocker making pulse too slow?

Cher,
That low heartrate is one of the curses of the beta-blockers.
Below 50 bpm's is really TOO low. First thing, discontinue that second AM dose and stay with the two half doses. If your heart rate STILL goes into the 40's, have your doctor prescribe something else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
Re: Beta Blocker making pulse too slow?

Hi Cher. I actually posted this same question on the heart board. I am taking beta blockers (bisoprolol, 5mg 1x daily) for sinus tachycardia. Even on them my pulse is usually around 80. This past Tuesday it went down to 50. Just out of the blue. I have been taking them for 5 months. My cardiologist's office told me to just take half last night and I did. When I went to his office today my pulse was 68...it is 60 right at this moment. I know 60 isn't real low, but it is for me and that is why I got concerned. He said I was fine. He said that it may even go to 50 again and to not be worried unless I felt symptoms. He said that your body can change even after taking something for a period of time. I hope he's right! So I am down to 2.5mg for now. I know I'm not really helping you, but I just thought that I would let you know that he said on beta blockers your heart may go low and that it is nothing to worry about.

Closed Thread