It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

mattsmom32 HB User
Is it possible to wean off hctz (with dr's okay of course)?

I'm on lisinopril hctz and think it's elevating my triglycerides and would like to try weaning off of it. Before talking to my doctor about it, I was just wondering if it's possible to no longer need a diuretic? I've lost weight and have been eating healthier and exercising. Because I've been taking it for a year or so, is my body so used to it now that I'll need to keep taking it?

Old 07-21-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Is it possible to wean off hctz (with dr's okay of course)?

mom,

I have perssonal experience here:

The thing to watch out for is a huge rebound of water retention. If you are salt sensitive, try to mitigate this by cuttting out your salt as you wean.
Weaning really isn't necessary though, you can just stop.

You will immediately see your weight increaase several pounds from retained water.

I've noticed that it takes the body several weeks to a month to learn to dump water properly again.

I don't think stopping the diuretic will help with the triglycerides...the effect is usually slight.

I HATE when I go off diuretics and have to look at that scale tormenting me with a five pound weight gain...and it hurts my joints too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

mattsmom32 HB User

The weight gain I definitely don't want, even if I know it's the water. I really want to try to go without it though and then check my lipids, because I remember the first cholesterol test I had after starting it and being shocked at the triglyceride #. I'm going to ask the doc about going to half and seeing what the next blood test shows. Although there should be a huge improvement just from my lifestyle changes so it will be hard to tell what did what. But, if I reduce it to half and my BP stays down, then hey, that's less meds in my body, which is a benefit in itself. :-)

Old 07-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
(male)

syxx_35 HB User

Maybe this was a fluke for me, but I started taking Fish oil a 4 weeks ago when I found out I had high blood pressure. My original triglycerides levels were around 180s. Since starting the fish oil and being on the BP meds and I had my cholesterol checked again on Monday. My cholesterol was stil semi high but had dropped 10 pts and my triglycerides dropped 30 pts. back to the normal range.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
(female)

mattsmom32 HB User

Thanks for your experience syxx_35. I'm taking fish oil and had been, but not regularly. Now I'm taking it regularly, so I'm really anxious to go back in a couple months to have it rechecked.

Closed Thread