It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
(male)

vincent elias HB User
Coniel a.k.a. benidipine hydrochloride

I searched the forums for any discussions about this drug and I haven't found any. About a year and half ago I was diagnosed for the first time with Hypertension. That was when I was still smoking a pack a day, not exercising and generally living a sedentary lifestyle. But even before I made a lifestyle change, I found significant relief from the effects of hypertension through this drug.

Quote:
Effects of benidipine hydrochloride (Coniel), a new calcium antagonist, on the cardiac output, regional blood flow and vascular resistance in conscious, spontaneously hypertensive rats.

Harashima H, Kiwada H, Kajita J, Kobayashi S.

University of Tokushima, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Japan.

Benidipine hydrochloride is a calcium antagonist with a 1,4-dihydropyridine derivative structure, and exhibits long-lasting antihypertensive effects by inhibiting the voltage-dependent Ca2+ channels. This study was undertaken to examine the effect of benidipine on central haemodynamics and regional blood flow (RBF) after intravenous administration of benidipine in conscious, spontaneously hypertensive rats. The microsphere method was used to measure cardiac output and RBF before and after the drug administration, using microspheres labelled with 57Co and 51Cr. Thirty minutes after the intravenous administration of benidipine (3 micrograms kg-1), the mean arterial pressure fell by 15% without significantly increasing the heart rate. The cardiac output increased by 41% and the systemic resistance decreased by 39%. Benidipine significantly increased RBF by 37, 35, and 22% in kidney, heart, and small intestine, respectively, and decreased vascular resistance by 38, 38, and 32%, respectively. We concluded that benidipine reduced blood pressure by increasing RBF in the kidney and heart, while keeping RBF in other organs at a normal level. These results will provide a fundamental basis in support of the clinical benefits of benidipine for hypertensive patients, particularly those with renal failure.

PMID: 7981431 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Here's the link:
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=7981431&dopt=Abstract[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
(male)

vincent elias HB User
Re: Coniel a.k.a. benidipine hydrochloride

to add:

It's a japanese drug my previous doctor who prescribed it to me (I lost touch with him) but my other doctors I talked to are not even aware about this drug. Anybody here who used this?

Old 08-15-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Coniel a.k.a. benidipine hydrochloride

Hi Vincent,

Other than that it is a new, long acting calcium channel blocker, also sold as Caritec I believe, I can't add much.
Do you have trouble finding it in pharmacies?

I do hope this wasn't the very FIRST antihypertensive you were ever prescribed. That would be akin to prescribing interferon for a cold.

Unless for a life-threatening situation with no other treatments, I would never consider a new, new drug. The risk of unmasking side effects is to great.

AND I'd have to question the motives of any doctor who prescribed it.

Calcium channel blockers are NOT considered first line options for treatment of hypertension. Do you have any other heart or kidney condition that would warrant it?

Closed Thread