It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User
Unhappy Diuretic Not Working

Well, my hopes of living a life without the awful side effects of BP meds have been dashed. Within one week of going off Labetalol and starting a diuretic, my BP has gone from 126/84 to 150/102!

My dr's appt is today at 5:30. After doing some reading here, I've learned I might have to try several different ones until one agrees with me (if that's even possible). I'm not looking forward to this...although my BP has been high, I feel better than I have in a LONG time. My mind is sharper, I have energy, motivation, no depression, no dizziness, no "floating" sensation...I feel normal again!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
(female)

flowersx2 HB User
Re: Diuretic Not Working

I have been on and off bp med's for the last three years and it just drives me nuts that I can't get it under control myself. I am currently on micardis and think I am going to stop it tomorrow. I've been on it for three months, have gained 8 lbs. and the sweating is horrendous. Have a brief converstation with someone outside and I am dripping yet they are fine. Very embarrassing! I am only 34 years old and cannot do this forever. I was reading the thread on the resperate and looking into that. Something has to be better than all of the side effects.

I too went to dr's over and over, asking to check my thyroid and blood work. They just keep telling me that everything's fine and I start to feel like I'm going crazy. Then they want to prescribe something for that too lol.

This board has really helped. At least I know I'm not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

Hi Flowers,

I just got back from the Dr's. She (another PA) prescribed Lisinopril 10 mg.. I asked about the side effects and she mentioned that some people experience a dry cough. I said "that's it? I can live with that!!"

Aside from the Bp meds, I'm also tapering off Wellbutrin, which was prescribed for the depression brought on from Labetalol. And I'll also be tapering off a low dose of Xanax which was prescribed for the anxiety I felt from the Wellbutrin!! I feel like a dog chasing its own tail!!

I also feel nuts that I can't get this under control myself. I remember the first day I was diagnosed I swore the meds would be temporary because I would make changes. I lost 20 pounds, cut down the salt, and exercised more. Here I am 3 years later and ALMOST ready to accept that this is heredity. On the positive side, it's helped me to not take my health for granted, eat healthier, lose weight, and exercise more.

I've never heard of Micardis. Is it an ACE or beta blocker? I'm "new" to all of this because I ignorantly stuck with the first med I tried and never read up on anything else.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
(female)

flowersx2 HB User

It is part of the diovan/benicar family. I have tried both of those. I haven't heard of Labetalol. lol There are so many different ones out there. Good luck with it. Let us know.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Kitty,

It might be a bit too early to judge the effect of the diuretic. There is a SIGNIFICANT withdrawal period from most beta-blockers during which blood pressure can be sky high from the effect of all those "betas" (catechholamines) that are no longer being blocked.

Ehh, doc. Most of those who suffer that "dry cough" from ACE inhibitors find it anything but bearable...it's AWFUL and neverending.

I hope you can take the lisinopril, probably WITH a diuretic, because that is a good combo.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:25 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

Hi Lenin,

Perhaps it was too early to go running to another BP med, but I got nervous and began obsessing (bought my cuff to work). Thoughts of my mother yelling "Oh my God! That's too high you're going to have a stroke!!!!" kept racing through my mind.

The PA suggested I try just the lisinopril for now. I took my first dose last night and this morning I'm getting a 125/85 reading. My follow-up appt with my doctor is next Tuesday. So far so good.

Last edited by KittyLove; 08-24-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
(male)

rigel434 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyLove

The PA suggested I try just the lisinopril for now. I took my first dose last night and this morning I'm getting a 125/85 reading.
You may have just been nervous earlier. That's pretty fast for the lisinopril to start working- it works by reducing angiotensin II in the body, but my understanding was that takes a while to accomplish.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
(female)

bkh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyLove
Well, my hopes of living a life without the awful side effects of BP meds have been dashed. Within one week of going off Labetalol and starting a diuretic, my BP has gone from 126/84 to 150/102!

My dr's appt is today at 5:30. After doing some reading here, I've learned I might have to try several different ones until one agrees with me (if that's even possible). I'm not looking forward to this...although my BP has been high, I feel better than I have in a LONG time. My mind is sharper, I have energy, motivation, no depression, no dizziness, no "floating" sensation...I feel normal again!!!
I am going through the same thing as you. After lowering my blood pressure with Norvasc for my first month of testing meds, my doctor changed me over to diuretic because the swelling in my legs and feet was so bad I could not walk. So today is my first day with diuretics. Let me know how you do.
bkh in Houston.

Closed Thread