It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

tamlis HB User
How long does it take for Hctz to work?

Ive had some problems for the last couple of months with my feet swelling bad and now my legs up to my thighs are swollen as well and it hurts. My BP has always been low but in the last month I have noticed my blood pressure ranging from 130-160/90-109. Sometimes the top and bottom are not that far apart! Ive also have been having bad headaches and nausea.

I just went to the dr. yesterday and she gave me 25 mg of Hctz. Ive taken it and haveslept with my feet up, etc. and its still very swollen and hurting along with my headache and nausea.

My question is how long does it take for the Hctz to noticeably work?

Old 08-18-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: How long does it take for Hctz to work?

Give it a week especially if there is a lot of edema to expel.
For edema, 25 mg./day is a VERY small dose.
I recommend 50 mg./day.

Sometimes it's given in a large dose (+100 mg.) twice a week when used for edema control.

An alternative, maybe even a bit better for edema, is a loop diuretic like Lasix. If the thiazide doesn't do the trick, consider switching to twice daily dosing with 40 mg. Lasix.

But in the meantime, why not call your doctor and ask him to up yout HCTZ Rx to 50 mg./day?

P.S. Thiazide controls BP in two ways: water dumping and arteriole relaxation. That latter effect takes several weeks of daily dosing to begin kicking in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread