It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
(female)

smurfy33 HB User
Thank you from someone with white coat hypertension

Hello all! I recently found this board and I'm just thrilled to find people like me! I've had white coat hypertension since I was 19 (I'm now 33). My doctor just prescribed Inderal 5 mg (beta blocker) to help control my BP and my fast heart rate due to my bad anxiety. I don't really think I have hypertension because my BP is normal at home, except for the first reading because I'm always nervous, then it comes down gradually to the 110s/70s. When I came home from the doctors the other day with my prescription for Inderal, I felt really overwhelmed and I was thinking "I'm only 33, why am I the only one with this problem." Then I found this board and it looks like there are plenty of people of all ages with anxiety/white coat hypertension. I've read many of the threads on this board and it does a lot for my anxiety. Thank you all!!

Old 09-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #2

dasw HB User
Re: Thank you from someone with white coat hypertension

Hi smurfy33,
I also have White Coat Hypertension and I've had it for almost 30 years. My doctor didn't treat it as my bp and heart rate were normal at home. He diagnosed it as Benign Labile Hypertension.

As I got older I noticed that in times of stress/anxiety the bp and heartrate kept getting even higher but again still normal at home. I take anti-anxiety medication, exercise and do total body relaxation and can get some very low readings at home but boy does it jump up now when I'm nervous. I was told I would be a good candidate for a beta blocker. I am seeing my doctor soon and will discuss this again with him.

Some doctors seem to be more proactive than others when it comes to White Coat Hypertension. I think it is good that you are addressing your problem now. Please post with your results from the Inderal.

addition: My doctor did say that a high bp and heartrate due to an increase in anxiety can override medications. I'm hoping that it just wouldn't go as high during those times if you were on meds.

Last edited by dasw; 09-02-2006 at 09:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread