It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

smvdelv HB User
Adrenal Nodule

Hi,

My husband has high blood pressure and has been taking medicine for it. The medecine was not taking his BP down enough in the doctor's opionion, so he tried switching him to lisinopril, but his blood test showed a high level of creatinin (Sp?) after taking this for a few weeks, so he took him off it and did an MRI to check and make sure his artery to his kidney was not blocked. He has been a nervous wreck with all of this. His MRI showed no blockage, but they did find a nodule on his adrenal gland which the doctor said he wanted to pursue just to be safe, so he had a CT scan today. When he went, they said they were going to do a scan first without the dye, and if the nodule was under a certain size, they wouldn't need to inject the dye. Well, it was obviously over the size limit because they did end up having to inject the dye.

He is just a mess over all of this. The doctor told him the other day that he is not worried (if he were, he would have said something because this doctor always shoots from the hip) but wants to follow thru on all tests to make sure his HBP is not caused by something else. But my husband is totally convinced that because they had to inject the dye, that his nodule is cancerous and he is going to die! He is 49 and his mother died when she was 49, but of something totally unrelated (aneurysm to the heart, but she had a bad heart) so he is convinced that he is going to die,too! Help! Has anyone else had a nodule like this? I need to reassure him before he drives himself (and me!!!) nuts!!! Thanks for listening...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 05:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Adrenal Nodule

They will do some urine gathering tests to see what chemicals the tumor is excreting, if any. Some adrenal tumors, that can be totally benign, exert a large influence over blood pressure.
It is not likely to be cancerous.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
(female)

DeannaQ HB User
Re: Adrenal Nodule

I think most tumors in the adrenal gland are benign. I had one that was causing my blood pressure to be uncontrolled. I was told that this type of tumor in the adrenal gland that secretes hormones is unusual, but it "does" happen. My adrenal gland had to be removed and it was really no big deal. I mean "any" surgery is a big deal, but I had no after effects except that my blood pressure could be controlled with medication after the surgery...you can live very well with just one adrenal gland. Coincidentally, at about that same time a young man in our town had the same thing...he was about your husband's age..he's getting along fine with one adrenal gland also. I don't know about the term "nodule", though.....mine was a tumor and they never once called it a nodule. His kidney's should be checked also...a tumor in the kidney of an adult is "always" cancer...been there and done that also. You can live very well with just one kidney also.

Closed Thread