It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 03:14 AM   #1
(male)

tinbin HB User
Question on white coat hypertension

Dear all,

I has some questions about white coat hypertension

When I measure my BP at home with my home electronic BP monitor, the readings are really great , they range from 11x/7x to 12x/8x. The other day, I took my BP monitor to my doctor's and compared mine with his medical montior. First, he took my BP with his monitor and wrote down the reading without letting me know. Then I used my home monitor to measure my BP. It turned out that my home BP monitor's reading was 160/80 and my doctor's medical monitor's reading was 180/80. Even with a 20 unit difference in the systolic pressure, my doctor said that my home monitor is accurate because the systolic pressure flutuates a lot and my BP is really fine as the high BP reading is only due to white coat hypertension, and I should take my home reading as accurate instead of the reading taken at his office.

After a while, I asked my doctor to take my BP with his monitor again and it dropped from 180/80 to 150/80.

Is my doctor really right about my home BP monitor being accurate and my high BP is only white coat hypertension?

I would be very grateful if anynone can give me some advices.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Question on white coat hypertension

Yes,
Your doctor is ABSOLUTELY right.

Same happened to me: I took my monitor into my Cardiologist's office and we compared notes. It was the first time in two months that my tester automatically triggered into the next higher range for inflation +160 systolic. His reading was a little higher than mine but then he switched to a smaller cuff (his last customer must have been King Kong because I have good sized biceps) and his readings were within 5 mm. Hg of mine...in the 170/110 range.

He proclaimed me "the worst case of white coat he's ever seen." At least we are both clear on that!
When I got home I tested at 117/72.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-09-2006 at 08:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #3

dasw HB User

Yes, I agree with Lenin. I can make my BP go up just thinking about getting my BP taken.

The BP can fluctuate wildly especially in those of us who are anxious/nervous. My doctor has termed it Benign Labile Hypertension. I have noticed that as I've gotten older my BP has been steadily getting higher when I am nervous...but still normal when I am calm. For some of us with "White Coat Hypertension" medications may eventually be needed.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
(male)

tinbin HB User

Thanks for your advices.

Closed Thread