It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Spiking Blood Pressure

Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of my blood pressure spikes primarily waking me out of sleep along with a high pulse along with feeling very warm? wondering does the "warmth" come from the b/p elevating or is that something on its own.I have read about Pheo's and I'm terrified of thinking about that. Therefore I pose my question. I awake at night with a pounding heart about 105 bpm, with blood pressure going as high as 180/100. Before bedtime my b/p was at a good rate. I am not on meds b/c usually my b/p is normal. As you can see, I'm worried. However I've read that many on this board have had spikes during the nite - am I correct? When I do get these spikes I take a small piece of Xanax and it brings me down. What do you think?

Old 09-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #2

dasw HB User
Re: Spiking Blood Pressure

Hi lolasmom.
I know of people that had similar problems during the night due to anxiety/stress issues and panic attacks as well as menopausal symptoms. Has your doctor addressed these as possible culprits?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi and yes to your question. The first thing dr's attribute this to is anxiety / panic but researching this on line I came up with adrenal problems and it scared the hell out of me thinking the dr doesn't really know much about this because it's rare. I am past menopause so I can rule that problem out. It's a little scary - but whatever - I'll have to deal. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
(female)

Adriana1 HB User

Yes! I have this problem. I usually awaken about 2-3am almost every morning with bp's of 176/110 and 99 bpm. I have been tested for pheochromacytoma (which is simply a 24 hr urine or catecholamine study). Mine was negative. This condition, from what I understand is very rare and I"ve been informed that only about 3% of the population have it. I would have to venture to say that it sounds as tho' you may have sleep apnea. I was recently diagnosed with it. It is my understanding that due to this condition the heart and lungs never really rest, which in turn will increase the bp significantly. I have recently been placed on the CPAP machine for my sleep apnea and haven't quite mastered getting a full night's sleep using it. Therefore, my heart is not getting the rest it needs by lowering my pressure nor bpm. Hope this info helps!

Old 09-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Adriana - thanks for the info. I do know about sleep apnea. How did you know you had it? Did someone suggest you go for testing. I have read on line that Sleep Apnea could cause these problems but somehow I don't believe it's my problem. What are your symptoms of sleep apnea other than what we discussed. How would you know you have it. I think I read snoring is one. My husband says he hears me snore a little in the morning when he wakes up. Should I contribute that to sleep apnea? Not sure about anything anymore. Anyway, thanks - much appreciated....your post.

Closed Thread