It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

marliz HB User
Question Low BP with high pulse? Shouldn't the two be similar?

Recently my blood pressure dropped from it's usual low 80s down to 60 and now the top number is often around 100. (I didn't pay attention to the upper before). I've been very fatigued and depressed which may be related.

What seems strange to me is that my pulse rate is still over 100 -- like 112 or so. I've had a high resting pulse rate so that's not new. But when I tried to look it up, the sites I found indicated that the BP would follow the pulse rate more closely. Is this not true or does it indicate a problem?

Thanks to anyone who can straighten out my confusion!
Marliz

Old 09-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
(female)

angeleyes0906 HB User
Re: Low BP with high pulse? Shouldn't the two be similar?

A couple of questions, what general age group are you in and do you have history of any heart problems, or thyroid issues?

Its been my experience that when blood pressure drops and the body isnt receiving adequate oxygen supply the pulse goes up to try and get more oxygen pumped to the body. As you level off so does the blood pressure, but again, there are many variables to consider and each case is individual.

You should discuss it with your pcp. Are you on any meds such as calcium channel blockers or Ace inhibiters to regulate your pulse?

ANGELEYES

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Marliz,

Usually there is no connection. Sometimes the highest pulse rates accompany a drastic drop in blood pressure.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

marliz HB User

Thank you for the input! After I noticed the unusually low BP at a doctor's visit, (she wanted to see me to put me on fosamax because my last bone densitiey shows osteopena is worsening a bit, but wasn't concerned about the BP) and later when I took it at my mothers, I bought a cuff for myself.

I'm 65 and have always had decent BP and cholesterol readings. Since I have fibromyalgia I've had a lot of tests (mostly before being diagnosed by a rheumatologist) and all turn out OK.

I've taken it once or twice a day and it's varied between the low 60's and 70s (the lower number) I think I'm going to look into the possibility that I might be one of those who have hypoglycemia that doesn't show up on the usual test. A number of other symptoms support that possibility.

Again -- thanks for the response!

Old 09-20-2006, 03:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

When a person has there blood pressure checked it is the top number (systolic) that the doctor is mainly focusing on.

Your reading of the lower number is normal and quite healthy. If however the top number was reading 70 or 60 then yes there could be a problem. My blood pressure is low and often drops as low as 70 and has set the dynamap alarms off in hospital, they just tend to put some fluids up to try and raise it but it doesnt work as i suffer from low blood pressure anyway so to me and my doctor who knows me this is normal.

When i have hospital appointments or my recent surgery i have to tell them i have low blood presusre, if i dont it causes a commotion and they go to get the resident doctor!!

The lowest my blood pressure has been is 70/50, surprising coz even though it is this low i haven't passed out due to it!

I hope this helps and i wouldnt worry too much about your bp, like i said it is the top number the doctors look at mainly not the bottom number.

There are good websites which explain bp and the average bp, you will find it on many websites which state that it is the top number to be concerned about.

Last edited by Sharon76; 09-20-2006 at 03:48 AM.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
(female)

Vhairi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon76
When a person has there blood pressure checked it is the top number (systolic) that the doctor is mainly focusing on.

Your reading of the lower number is normal and quite healthy. If however the top number was reading 70 or 60 then yes there could be a problem. My blood pressure is low and often drops as low as 70 and has set the dynamap alarms off in hospital, they just tend to put some fluids up to try and raise it but it doesnt work as i suffer from low blood pressure anyway so to me and my doctor who knows me this is normal.

When i have hospital appointments or my recent surgery i have to tell them i have low blood presusre, if i dont it causes a commotion and they go to get the resident doctor!!

The lowest my blood pressure has been is 70/50, surprising coz even though it is this low i haven't passed out due to it!

I hope this helps and i wouldnt worry too much about your bp, like i said it is the top number the doctors look at mainly not the bottom number.

There are good websites which explain bp and the average bp, you will find it on many websites which state that it is the top number to be concerned about.
Thats not strictly true. Yes, your systolic pressure will fluctuate and it is extremely important to note this, but flutuations in the bottom number (diastolic) indicate far more. This is a measure of the pressure in the vessels between the beats of the heart, so fluctuations indicate more serious problems.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
(female)

marliz HB User

My mother had low blood pressure for years. Now ninety, she has just started having to take meds for hi blood pressure. It wasn't the reading that surprised me but the fact that it was so different than usual and coincided with the extreme fatigue cycle I was having. I wondered if the fatigue could cause the LBP. If I hadn't been so fatigued I would have asked my doctor, but didn't think of it until I got home. It was still low when I took it at my mother's and I noticed that my pulse rate was the same as usual, so was curious as to whether the BP rate and pulse usually coincided.

Anyhow I ended up buying a cuff. My husband is over 70 and it won't hurt us to have one around the house

I never can keep "systolic" - "distolic?" straight. Thanks for giving me the word. I need to remember that "sys" is the top one. And thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

Old 09-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

low blood pressure causes fatigue. Fatigue is always caused by something, anemia, low blood pressure, internal bleeding to name a few.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
(female)

marliz HB User

Hi "Canyondweller." I just checked my email after a couple of days away and found your note.

Since I have fibromyalgia, fatigue isn't new to me. Sometimes it's worse than others.

It doesn't seem, from what I've heard that the fatigue could have caused the drop in my blood pressure, but since it still isn't in a danger zone, I guess, I'll just have to be grateful it's dropped and not gone high on me! :-)

Thank you for your response!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=marliz]Hi " It doesn't seem, from what I've heard that the fatigue could have caused the drop in my blood pressure, but since it still isn't in a danger zone, I guess, I'll just have to be grateful it's dropped and not gone high on me! :-)

Sorry, if that is what I said. Fatigue doesn't cause low blood pressure but low blood pressure causes fatigue. I ended up back in ER today as I was having coffee(decaf) with friends at restaurant and I could feel the heat start from my feet into my head. Was there 3 hours they said since if came down and everything else was OK see my Dr. and like why was I there but I ahd ben told to come back if it happeded again. I don't know anything at this point about anything

Old 09-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #11
(female)

marliz HB User

You said it correctly. Just the way I phrased my response that made it sound like you didn't.

Anyhow, I'm sorry about the ER visit! Hoping you are OK now and that it doesn't offend you to say I just sent a prayer up on your behalf.

Marliz

Old 09-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you. That was very nice of you. I feel better today and saw cardiologist and pulmonologist (my primary) they ordered another test but actually don't think I have anything really weird as my BP does come down for days inbetween these spikes but they keep looking. Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you. That was very nice of you. I feel better today and saw cardiologist and pulmonologist (my primary) they ordered another test but actually don't think I have anything really weird as my BP does come down for days inbetween these spikes but they keep looking. Thanks again.

Closed Thread