It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
How bad is having blood pressure 135/90?

I am just wondering if blood pressure of 135/90 can cause damage to the body? No matter what I do like exercising and watching my diet that is where my numbers are all of the time. I did take inderal LA for many many years but realized it was what was causing me to have intestinal problems. I stopped taking it a few months ago because of that.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: How bad is having blood pressure 135/90?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari7171
I am just wondering if blood pressure of 135/90 can cause damage to the body? No matter what I do like exercising and watching my diet that is where my numbers are all of the time. I did take inderal LA for many many years but realized it was what was causing me to have intestinal problems. I stopped taking it a few months ago because of that.
Hello kari,

135/90 is not bad but 130/85 is a lot better and 120/80 is perfect. Have you tried supplements to reduce your blood pressure? I have found that Magneium, Flaxseed and Vitamin C are helping me a lot. Also salt plays a big part of the high blood pressure game for many people. For me, I consume less than 500 mg of sodium daily and I'm happy that way. If I can keep my blood pressure 130/85 without medication I will be very happy but I can't .
Good luck,
Michael

Last edited by cartner; 10-03-2006 at 02:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

There is a gradual increase in risk as the numbers go up, starting from about 115/75. The point at which medication is usually given is at a systolic of at least 140 OR a diastolic of at least 90. If you are averaging 135/90, I would try eating more vegetables, which often brings BP down. (Celery is supposed to be one of the best.) If you aren't eating too many now, try doubling your vegetable intake for a while and see what happens. If you stick to the low calorie veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, celery, eggplant, summer squash, peppers, onions, etc.), you are not likely to gain weight, as people eating that much fiber typically feel full sooner and thus just don't consume as many total calories. Just don't smother them in high-fat salad dressings or sauces! Also, regular cardio exercise usually brings BP down and for some people deep breathing exercises.

If you aren't able to bring your average diastolic down below 90 with lifestyle changes, I recommend going back to the doctor and ask for a change in medication. There are many different meds and the side effects may be different. You just may need to try several before you find one that works for you with a minimum of side effects. I was lucky - I have no side effects of which I'm aware from the first one I tried.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 10-03-2006 at 06:44 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Uff-Da! For This Useful Post:
vilasm (10-05-2012)
Old 10-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
(female)

madfit HB User

It wouldn't hurt to get a checkup by a doctor.

Closed Thread