It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Can antihistimines affect blood pressure?

I am currently taking Norvasc and Dyazide to treat high blood pressure. Using a home blood pressure monitor, I have been averaging about 130/90 even on the medication. The last 3 days, my blood pressure has been around 117/69.

I am trying to figure out why my blood pressure reading have gone down. I realized that I ran out of my Allegra last Wednesday and wasn't able to pick up the refill until today (Monday). I have been on allergy medications for about 12 years straight--so I don't know what my normal body readings are without the medications. For the last 7 years or so I have been on Allegra and I currently also take Singulair, Flonase and Astelin. Up until about 1 1/2 years ago, I was on Allegra-D but when my blood pressure started going up some, I cut back to just taking Allegra 180 without the decongestant. From everything I have read, just the antihistimines shouldn't increase blood pressure. I am wondering though if the Allegra is affecting my blood pressure since it has been down while I have been off the medication or if it is just a coincidence. Anyone out there have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User
Re: Can antihistimines affect blood pressure?

Actually usually they cause it to go up ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

If anything Allegra will lower your BP...it is an antihistamine. Like chlorpheniramine maleate and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) it should be fine to use for sneezing and teary eyes.

BUT the "D" in Allegra-D is the common decongestant, pseudoephedrine which will raise your BP considerably. It shouldn't be used by hypertensives.

I think the lower BP going off the fexofenadine (Allegra) is a coincidence.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

I am with Lenin, antihistimines do not make your bp go up. I have been on them for years and no issues.
Decogestants will definately raise your blood pressure. Sudafed, actifed and anything with a D at the end is a big no-no for blood pressure people.

You can try something like Dayquil sinus if your stuffiness is like death, but try not to because even the smallest amount will raise the pressure.

Closed Thread