It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
(male)

tsioc HB User
BP spike with pounding headache?

I get pounding headaches from time to time, but never thought anything of it. My ex used to tell me I looked flushed and worried about my blood pressure during these headaches, but I just ignored her.

I've had a headache for the past 2 days, but it disappeared while I was sleeping last night. I thought all was fine today, but while in the shower my head started to hurt, then started to pound. The pounding yesterday was on my left temple, today it was more on the crown of my head, and somewhat in my left temple. I could feel my pulse pounding in by temple and on the back of my head, and I thought I could feel it pulsing on the top of my brain. I was in pain and thought this would be a good time to check my bp, as the doctor always checks it when I'm NOT in pain and finds it to be normal.

So I checked it while my head was pounding, and it 243/121

I was at my mothers (she and my father both have HBP), and she freaked out and made me take Verapamil (Calan). I then laid down and tried to sleep. I checked my BP from time to time(couldnt sleep) and it was steadily dropping. It is now around 143/90. My head still has some pain, but no pounding.

What should I do? How can I quickly lower my BP when it spikes again?

Last edited by tsioc; 11-11-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
(female)

cyndi627 HB User
Re: BP spike with pounding headache?

I would go to the ER and I wouldn't take someone else's medicine. Really, i think you need to go to the ER.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
(female)

madfit HB User

Hi,

I agree, go to the ER and don't take anyone else's medication. Something obviously is going on and you need to check it out.
A Friend

Old 11-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
(male)

tsioc HB User

So, it's not normal for it to go that high? Even for a bit when stressing out?

Old 11-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
(male)

tsioc HB User

I went to the ER, they checked my BP and said it was normal. They gave me two injections (Vistaril? for pain and something else for nausea) and had me breathing oxygen for an hour or so. The doc seems to think it's just a migraine and that the pain caused my bp to rise. She gave me a prescription and the name of a doctor she wants me to see tomorrow (and then every month or two) for a follow up.

Thanks for the advice

Old 11-13-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

tsioc,

I think I recognize your problem.
Look up CLUSTER HEADACHES and see if you don't fit that pattern. They are a male variant of the more common migraine. They are sometimes referred to as a "Suicide Headache" so you know how much they can hurt.

If so, there are treatments.

They are vascular headaches and can play havoc with your blood pressure during an attack.

How often do the headaches occur and do you see any seasonal aspects to them...any food triggers?

Closed Thread