It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
(male)

richie65 HB User
Joint and Muscular pain with Norvasc

I have been on Norvasc for a number of years, and it seemed to be working for me. Didn't notice any side effects. About a month and a half ago, my blood pressure started to increase, and I mentioned this to my Dr. He changed me to Dynacirc capsules. Took them for about two weeks and didn't notice any improving of BP, so I mentioned it again the my Dr. He said that I had to give the new med time to work. Seemed like a reasonable explanation to me, so I continued on Dynacirc. Soon I started to be really sleepy during the daytime, and began to have noticeable joint pain in both knees and shoulders, and also muscle pain from below my right shoulder blade to my right hip. Since the only thing that had changed was the switch to Dynacirc, I decided to go back to my Norvasc. Within about 6-8 hours my joint and muscle pain disappeared, but my blood pressure was high and erratic. Figured the BP was due to switching back to the Norvasc. Continued with Norvasc, but soon the joint pain came back. I decided that I would try no BP med for awhile to see what would occur. Haven't taken any for about the last five days. No appreciable joint pain, but my BP is higher and more volatile than I've ever seen. Taking BP reading from a grocery store machine 6 time a day, and have averaged 157/92 which is much higher than I'm used to. If this doesn't get any better in the next two days, I will restart the Norvasc at 5 mg, or 1/2 of the original 10 mg dose I was taking once a day.

Since I didn't have any pain while taking Norvasc before the change to Dynacirc, it looks like the switch to the Dynacirc, that didn't do anything good for my BP, sensitized my body to whatever is in the Calcium Channel Blocker meds that cause the side effect of Joint and muscular pain. Anybody familiar with what the chemical is in these meds that causes the joint and muscular pain, or why it occurs? Has anyone had a similar experience with their BP meds, especially with the Norvasc and Dynacirc?

Last edited by richie65; 12-09-2006 at 07:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
(female)

Kaco HB User
Re: Joint and Muscular pain with Norvasc

I have tried a few other BP meds and Norvasc is the only one that seems side effect free. My BP with Norvasc runs around 157/79 and this is good for me.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
(male)

richie65 HB User

Thanks for your response, Kaco.

From reading other messages on the board, it does seem as though the other meds also have side effects that I'd like to do without. That's why I'm going to continue with the Norvasc if my BP doesn't stabilize in the next two days.

My blood pressure while taking Norvasc, 10 mg/day, without any exercise was running around 135/72. I used to walk about 7 miles a day until I injured my right knee(just wore it out according to the Dr.), and my BP was running around 115/60.

Last edited by richie65; 12-09-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

richie,

Joint pains happen as we get older...that's just the way it is; I get LOTS of them.
Usually they must just be borne stoically and USUALLY not used as a basis for switching meds especially if one is a runner with an injured knee. I am a weightlifter in my "delocate years" and if I switched drugs every tiome I rehurt my rotor cuff, had achey wrists (from bench pressing), knee pain from ripped up cartilege (skiing and gymnastics,) or back pain from a broken vertebra, I'd be changing meds every week.

I took Norvasc for a month and truly HATED it but not for joint paints, it made me very nervous and wired.

Since you took Norvasc for a long time without joint pains and switched to Dynacirc and GOT pain but the switched back to Norvasc and ALSO got pain, I think the Norvasc/pain connection isn't real.

With ZERO drugs, if you get an average of 157/92 at the drugstore, you MIGHT not be hypertensive. Buy a tester an test AT HOME for a month without drugs. If you get a 139/89 average, then you can leave the drugs at home.

Your doctor's goals are wrong. A COMPETENT doctor does not FIRST prescribe a non-generic pricey calcium Pfizer channel blocker for hypertension and then replace it with ANOTHER expensive Sandoz CCB that costs far more (like $4 a day )

I would find another doctor...he is not competently treating your blood pressure, just his wallet. It is inappropriate to prescribe a calcium channel blocker as the primary antihypertensive.

How about telling this GREEDY man that you want to be on GENERIC antihypertensives...it would be curious to guage his reaction to this "heresy."
Maybe he's have to report you to Pfizer and Sandoz as "suspicious" or worse UnAmericun!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-10-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
(male)

richie65 HB User

Thanks for your response, Lenin.

You wrote:
"Joint pains happen as we get older...that's just the way it is; I get LOTS of them.
Usually they must just be borne stoically and USUALLY not used as a basis for switching meds especially if one is a runner with an injured knee. I am a weightlifter in my "delocate years" and if I switched drugs every tiome I rehurt my rotor cuff, had achey wrists (from bench pressing), knee pain from ripped up cartilege (skiing and gymnastics,) or back pain from a broken vertebra, I'd be changing meds every week."

I can appreciate your suggestion, since I, too, am in my "delicate" years. What I apparently wasn't clear on is that I had stopped all exercise about 5 months ago, and wasn't exercising at all during my experience with Dynacirc. That change in meds was the only thing that had changed for me.

"Since you took Norvasc for a long time without joint pains and switched to Dynacirc and GOT pain but the switched back to Norvasc and ALSO got pain, I think the Norvasc/pain connection isn't real."

I didn't consider that. It's possible. I've been off all meds for about 4 days now and watching my BP. And the joint pains have almost disappeared. The only mild pain that I have now in in my right sholder. All of the other locations have gone.

"With ZERO drugs, if you get an average of 157/92 at the drugstore, you MIGHT not be hypertensive. Buy a tester an test AT HOME for a month without drugs. If you get a 139/89 average, then you can leave the drugs at home."

I'm beginning to conclude that also. I was using the store monitors just as a guage while I was exercising, 7 mile a day walks. BP was very low, 110/60 and steady. Then just before switching to Dynacirc after stopping my daily walks due to my knee injury, BP rose to around 150/85. Since the switching of meds, the BP got erratic. Had one reading where the dyastolic low pressure read 115. Really shocked me. However, without any meds at all, seems like my BP is beginning to stabilize at around the average 157/92 or lower.

"Your doctor's goals are wrong. A COMPETENT doctor does not FIRST prescribe a non-generic pricey calcium Pfizer channel blocker for hypertension and then replace it with ANOTHER expensive Sandoz CCB that costs far more (like $4 a day )

I would find another doctor...he is not competently treating your blood pressure, just his wallet. It is inappropriate to prescribe a calcium channel blocker as the primary antihypertensive."

Hmm. Never thought of that. But you may be right, since the doctors would be out of business if they didn't prescribe meds, or actually cured people. Anyway, I'm having to look for a new doctor now, because my doctor has moved his practice out of state to be with his family.

Since you do a lot of lifting, and have had joint pain, what are yout thoughts regarding continuing to exercise? I have been a little afraid of resuming my long walks because of the potential of destroying the knee cartilage further. In your estimation, would continued exercise destroy or strengthen the knee joint cartilage?

Old 12-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
(female)

madfit HB User

Hi,

I am a 59 year old female, and have taken Norvasc for that past 4 years, with no bad side effects. This might be an option for you to discuss with your doctor. I take 5 mg. in the morning and 5 mg. before bedtime for the past 4 years. Seems to work fine for me, although I also take an ace inhibitor and beta blocker.

My pressure runs 118-125/76-82 at any given time. I originally had extrememly high pressure but thank God it's okay now.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
(male)

richie65 HB User

Wow, Madfit, I used to be like that when I was walking 7 miles a day for exercise. Then I injured my knee, and stopped walking, and my BP went up to where I'm getting a little concerned.

Went to my new Dr. this morning as a new patient. Tried to explain my BP experiences, and not really sure that he understood much of what I said, because its so detailed. Well, he's a DO, and checked me over physically. Found out that my left leg is longer that my right, so much so that I seem to be standing tilted. He suggested that this might be the cause of the pain in my knee. Well, doesn't account for the high BP. When his nurse took it, first time with autocuff it read 137/99. Then with a manual cuff it was 139/84. So don't have any idea why, or what's going on. He suggested that I wear a shoe insert to make both legs about the same length, and then maybe I can resume walking again with out any problem. Boy if I can, this should return my BP to the 110/65 range it was in just 6 months ago. I guess I soon find out...

Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
(female)

madfit HB User

Richie65,

I go to the gym 3 times a week for about 1 hour. I go on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes, do leg presses, arm stremthening, etc. After the gym I go food shopping or to the Mall. I try to get alot of activity in during the day. Then of course the regular walking in the house.

I had my stroke, which was due to the high BP, 4 years ago. I only walk with a slim cane outdoors now and can function about 85-90% with my arm, hand and fingers. I came a long way but thank God the BP came down.

I don't have problems with arthritis or my muscles. That's why I was able to get the pressure down with exercise and walking.

But, do try asking your doctor about splitting your meds in the morning and at bedtime. As I said it really did the trick for me.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfit
Richie65,

I go to the gym 3 times a week for about 1 hour. I go on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes, do leg presses, arm stremthening, etc. After the gym I go food shopping or to the Mall. I try to get alot of activity in during the day. Then of course the regular walking in the house.

I had my stroke, which was due to the high BP, 4 years ago. I only walk with a slim cane outdoors now and can function about 85-90% with my arm, hand and fingers. I came a long way but thank God the BP came down.

I don't have problems with arthritis or my muscles. That's why I was able to get the pressure down with exercise and walking.

But, do try asking your doctor about splitting your meds in the morning and at bedtime. As I said it really did the trick for me.
Hi,

Could you please tell how high your blood pressure was that caused the stroke?
Hope you are feeling better everyday.
Good Luck,
Michael

Old 12-14-2006, 04:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Since you do a lot of lifting, and have had joint pain, what are yout thoughts regarding continuing to exercise? I have been a little afraid of resuming my long walks because of the potential of destroying the knee cartilage further. In your estimation, would continued exercise destroy or strengthen the knee joint cartilage?
I ripped up my first knee cartilege is HIGH SCHOOL; I have just ignored it as much as I can. It flares up every once in a while but no longer has a loose piece so big it can lock up the joint...I suppose that's worn away.
I briefly considered surgery a number of times but then a friend, at age 29, had his operated on after living with it 15 years...they KILLED him with a clot 2 days later.

I NEVER let the aches and pains deter me; To HELL with them. <I often sing ACHEY BREAKY HEART while I work out...my only "country" favorite! >
"Don't tell my knees, my achey-breaky knees..."
Good thing about weight lifting is that if something acts up, it can be rested for awhile and OTHER parts of the body hit hard. Alas with running, it seems to be all or nothing.
Have you ever tired and Elliptical Trainer...they are kind to the knees; FAR kinder than a treadmill or a sidewalk.

Second thought on Norvacsc and it's sisters:
ALL CCB's can cause edema. Edema (swelling) HURTS and can make an inflamed, or injured joint hurt FAR worse. It is the only antihypertensive drug class that does this. I know that when I am edematous from too much salt and too little Lasix, that my lower back can hurt a lot...extra pressure on the spinal nerve roots. The Lasix causes me to pee out the water (like 3 pounds worth), the pressure drops, and the pain is gone in 4 hours.

Perhaps a diuretic would be your IDEAL antihypertensive.

Pssst, Has there EVER been a D.O. (osteopath) who didn't diagnose either spinal curvature or "short leg" and then reccommend a lifetime of "manipulations." That's their stock in trade.
Get a REAL doctor. <IMHO>

Last edited by Lenin; 12-14-2006 at 04:54 AM.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
(female)

madfit HB User

Hi Michael,

To answer your question, my pressure was 214/132 when I went to the ER. I'm doing great now. As I mentioned, my pressure is within a normal range and the doctor is very happy.

I, did however, have very good health coverage and had: 6 weeks in accute care in the hospital - physical and occupational therapy. It was 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. Then I went to a sub-accute facility, 3 hours a day, 6 days a week, for another 6 weeks.

After that I went as an outpatient, 3 days a week for 2 hours, for almost 3 months. After that it was suggested I join a gym by my doctor. I go 3 times a week for about 1 hour for that past 2 1/2 years.

Because I had nothing else wrong with me, I was able to do all this vigorous exercise and therapy. It really brought my pressure down along with avoiding salt in foods.

I walk now only with a slim cane outdoors, nothing indoors. My arm, hand and fingers are now 85-90% functioning. Mind you, I was told I would never have function of my right arm, which is my dominant arm. I proved the doctors wrong with alot of hard work, perseverence, a strong stamina and a very strong will. I even started driving again about 5 months ago. There is hope at the end of the tunnel.

I thought this might encourage others who have high blood pressure accompanied by stroke.

madfit

Closed Thread