It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 05:17 AM   #1
(male)

ferg22 HB User
Diovan no longer working

Here is my dilemma. I have been on 240mg of Diovan for about a year and a half. I have had no serious side effects except for some insomnia. I was started on Atenolol then Lisinopril and then Hydrochlorothiazide. All of these gave me terrible side effects. Especially fatigue, dizziness, and ED. The Diovan was keeping my pressure around 130/85 until now. My pressure is running about 140/93. My doctor upped my dosage to 320mg. but it's not helping. The higher dose is also creating headaches, nasal congestion, and bad insomnia. Have others experienced this problem? I am new to this board and would really appreciate any advice from others who are in this situation. Especially what you have switched to without bad side effects.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: Diovan no longer working

Hi,

Welcome to healthboards.com, I haven't tried Diovan but I tried Atacand and Cozaar, which are in the same drug class as Diovan so nearly they will have the same side effects. They made me feeling so weak, dizzy, tired and depressed because of all those side effects. Anyway, I end up with Cardiazem 180 mg twice daily and it has no side effects except a little tiredness. I was not tired when I was on 90 mg or the 120 mg twice daily and I just started the 180 mg twice daily so maybe this tiredness will go away after some time. No ED as a side effect of this drug too .
Hope this help,
Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
(male)

ferg22 HB User

Thanks, Michael for the info. What is the reason for the dosage increases? Does your system get used to the med? What is your BP now? The only other med I was going to ask the doctor about was Benicar.
Ferg

Old 12-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi,

The reasons for the increased dosage are:
1- I gained 18 pounds.
2- I eat a lot of fast food.
3- I stopped exercising.
So I needed a stronger solution for the bigger problem. My blood pressure was 140/100 on the 120 mg (but in summer it was 120/80). Now on the 180 mg it's 130/85 and I know next week it will be lower than that. If you take Benicar then you are not changing a lot. I have used Cozaar and I got a lot of bad side effects then I have used Atacand and I got the same side effects.

Atacand, Benicar, Cozaar and Diovan are all in the same drug class and they will give similar side effects. I hope that I'm wrong and someone else will correct me but this what happened to me with 2 drugs of this class.

Supplements are very helpful too but you will not feel the effect before few months. Read the other threads about the supplements and you will see what I'm talking about .

Now let talk about the drug classes you have used so far:
1- Diuretics: Hydrochlorothiazide
2- Lisinopril: ACEI
3- Atenolol: Beta-Blockers
4- Diovan: ARB
And you got side effects with them all. Me too so I the last options I had was to try CCBs. I started with Norvasc and it was not effective at all then I started Diltiazem and it was the only good drug for me.

If you are like me (got a lot of side effects from all the drug classes, except CCBs) then I think you should try CCBs Like Norvasc or Diltiazem. I'm really sad or you because I was very depressed when I didn't find any medication that I can live with without those bad side effects.
Good Luck,
Michael

Old 12-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
(female)

madfit HB User

Hi,

I used to take diovan but was taken off it because I was doing well without it. By that I mean I also was, and still am taking Lisinopril, atenenol, norvasc, and HCTZ. I take small doses.

But what might help you, check with your doctor, I take the atenenol before bedtime because it makes me drowsie, as well as half doses of Lisinopril and norvasc at bedtime. The other half doses of Lisinopril and norvasc in the morning. This does not cause any fatigue or tireness with this method for me.

See what your doctor says, it might help.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

madfit, have you got side effects if you use just one med from what you take now but with the usual dosage?
I mean if you take HCTZ 40 mg do you get any side effects?
Thanks,
Michael

Old 12-14-2006, 04:10 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Ferg,

My doc put me on Diovan once too and it didn't bring down my bp. He switched me to Benicar and I was surprised to see all the posts about side effects from it. I didn't notice a difference.
I am on Diltiazem 180mg, and Atenolol 25mg and actually just stopped taking the benicar after loosing 15 lbs and working out more.
The only bad thing about Benicar is there is not a generic and it is quite new and its not on my insurance formulary which means its expensive.

good luck,
lyl

Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Not all people get side effects from the same med, my father tried both Cozaar and Atacand with no side effecs and when I tried them I got many bad side effects. The only way to know if this med is good for you or not is to try it.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

ferg,

Just to address ONE issue, I get NO sleep with atenolol!
I just CANNOT take it even if my life depended on it.
<Thank God it doesn't.>

If Diovan or the other ARB's work poorly, it is usually a sign that you are a salt-sensitive hypertensive. The ideal class of drug for this are the DIURETICS. Give one a try (HCTZ or Lasix.)

Last edited by Lenin; 12-14-2006 at 04:57 AM.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
(male)

ferg22 HB User

I really appreciate all the help. I see my doctor tuesday and will discuss diltiazem with him.
Lenin, you are probably right about the diuretics but the only time they put me on HCTZ I had an extreme ED side effect so I am very nervous about trying any diuretic.
Ferg

Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
(female)

madfit HB User

Hi,

I only take 12.5 mg HCTZ and my other meds with no side effects.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Lasix is less likely to cause ED than HCTZ (the literature says only 25% as likely.)
Consider it (generic is furosemide.)

Last edited by Lenin; 12-15-2006 at 04:59 AM.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #13
(female)

Debbyefk HB User
Unhappy Re: Diovan no longer working

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg22
Here is my dilemma. I have been on 240mg of Diovan for about a year and a half. I have had no serious side effects except for some insomnia. I was started on Atenolol then Lisinopril and then Hydrochlorothiazide. All of these gave me terrible side effects. Especially fatigue, dizziness, and ED. The Diovan was keeping my pressure around 130/85 until now. My pressure is running about 140/93. My doctor upped my dosage to 320mg. but it's not helping. The higher dose is also creating headaches, nasal congestion, and bad insomnia. Have others experienced this problem? I am new to this board and would really appreciate any advice from others who are in this situation. Especially what you have switched to without bad side effects.

Ferg,

I have high renin hypertension and my blood pressure is very hard to keep in control with meds. For the second time in less than 3 years it has become uncotrolled at 180/90. I was initially put on diovan 60 mgm alone and it worked for six months. I then had it increased to 180mgm without effect. it wasn't til both Norvasc and hctz were added that i got the "magic bullet". A combo is usually far more effectve. I just had my norvasc increased but it appears they will all have to be since I only went down to 160/80. I will probably get side effects similar to yours Glad to hear no fatigue as i get enough from fibro
Have you tried Norvasc? Re hctz it is usually choice drug becase of fewer side effects. Sorry to hear about the ED. Are you positive it was the hctz causing it?

As mich said all people react differently to meds.

Lisinopril nearly killed me with dizziness and fatigue. A beta blocker caused gi upset insomnia and fatigue in addition to making me orthostatic. Wishing you luck and you may just be in need of the right combination of meds.

Best to you,

Debby

Closed Thread