It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Is there a good Herbal Anti-hypertensive

I remember a while ago somebody on the forum was experimenting with VALERIAN for hypertension. It has been used for millennnia as a sleeping agent and an anti-anxiety treatment. As I recall it helped his hypertension a bit.

Has anyone found any other herbal that works well to control his hypertension? I'm not referring to any of these commercial mish-moshes that have a little of everything but the kichen sink, but instead a single herb that lowers blood pressure.
I guess those most likely to be effective are the diuretical herbs of which there are several.
Anyone ever taken straight Hawthorne?

Any others?

Last edited by Lenin; 12-18-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: IS there a good Hebal Antihypertensive

Hi Lenin,

I find that drinking Hibiscus lowers my blood pressure for few hours. I really want drinl it regularly but I don't know what is the right way to make it. I heard that if it's boiled it will weaken the heart muscle and it should be added to water for 12 hours before drinking it. confused
Michael

The Following User Says Thank You to cartner For This Useful Post:
roberta3709g (02-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Munroe HB User

I think Hawthorne has the best credentials and it should indeed be taken straight. In the UK it's easy to buy straight and at a reasonable price. Can't vouch for the US but I would imagine it's similar.

The Following User Says Thank You to Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Has anyone experienced side effects from Hawthorne Berry. When I searched it out on line I read that it could cause heart rate problem. I am wondering if we're taking this for reduction of blood pressure why would the heart rate accelerate? I would love to try this supplement but worry about its side effects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Looly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Is there a good Herbal Anti-hypertensive

Yep there's another herb you can try. Astragalus. It widens blood vessels and increases blood flow which makes it useful in lowering blood pressure. This is a good herb overall. It also boosts your immune system and is supposed to be good for your heart. Its not supposed to be taken long term though. You take it for like 3 weeks at a time. I'm not exactly sure how long you're supposed to wait to take it again.

Another herb is Reishi. May cause dry mouth or upset stomach when used for more than 3 months. You can take this herb long term and is really good for lowering blood pressure.

Another one is Motherwort. You can take 2 or 3 droppers of liquid a day. You can mix it with water or drink it straight down.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alagaesia For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
(male)

pk16 HB User

Hawthone Berry and Celery Seed Extract! Its unbelievable. I been taking it for a month and my blood pressure went from being like 144/90 to 125/70. Hawthorne is considered very safe and I have not herd or experienced anyone having side effects. It also has many other cardiovascular benefits. Also look into the celery seed extract. It works and it works fast.

Last edited by pk16; 12-21-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

My grandmother uses a product called resperate - non drug therapy and it has helped her get off her meds and keep her bp normal. [removed] As far as herbal or natural help for hbp - garlic, hawthorn berry, cayenne, motherwort and celery seed all work wonderfully. Just garlic alone can lower your pressure. Hopefully you like garlic =) You mince 5 cloves, mix with a tiny bit of olive oil and just scoop it into your mouth and swallow with water, this will also keep your arteries clean and your good cholesterol high! You can also press it with a garlic press. Or, you can use kyolic aged garlic with the hawthorn, cayenne and I believe vitamin E added which helps as well - they sell this everywhere. I researched this a lot for my grandmother and she decided on the resperate as she hates having to take pills or remember to do things like eat 5 cloves of garlic per day. All of these herbs are relatively safe so do some research and find what works for you. I've also recently read several articles on the omega 3's lowering hbp some and the added benefit is, lowered cholesterol, heart health and clearer arteries.

Good luck!
Tori

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-29-2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
(female)

thyme2b HB User

I go to an MD who works with supplements and he's recommending arginine. It's an amino acid. I just started taking it. You are not supposed to take it with lisinopril or ACE inhibitors. I was going to start the ACEI, but am instead staying on the hydrochlorothiazide and trying the arginine instead, since it is a safer combination. If that doesn't work, I'll try the ACEI.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

I've read several positive reports regarding C12 Peptide.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:30 AM   #10
(male)

Hogweed HB User

A couple of friends and I have tried virtually ALL the above, very methodically, over the years, without any noticeable lowering of any of our BPs. But you will still get people raving that they “work wonderfully”. What they usually mean is that they’ve heard of somebody that something worked for, or they’re adherents to some medical discipline which advocates these things, etc etc.

I have never seen convincing evidence that any of these things will have a big effect on BP – except astragalus, don't know about that one. Some of them might have a very minor effect, ie dropping it a couple of points.

The exception is the Chinese herbs – I have first and second-hand experience of their effectiveness. Nasty, though.

Closed Thread