It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

Gail L HB User
Diltiazem & Magnesium???

Hi all
I take 180mg of Diltiazem daily. I am thinking of trying Magnesium 250mg can anyone explain the purpose for taking Magnesium and is it safe for me to do so with Diltiazem which I have been on for 1 year. Also do I need to take it with any other things.

Thanks
Gail

Old 12-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User
Re: Diltiazem & Magnesium???

Gail,

I take Diltiazem and Magnesium to help with hpb and SVTs. I don't think that Magnesium really helps with blood pressure, but I have noticed so far that it has a calming effect and haven't had an SVT yet. Now I only added Magensium about a week ago, so I am still skeptical on the SVT thing. My bp has been low, but this week is different since my hormones are changing.

I take 250mg in the morning and from what I have been told by folks on this board it has no ill effects unless you have slow heart rate problems. Some people have complained about changes in bowels, but I haven't noticed any.

Lyl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
(female)

Gail L HB User

Lylone

Thanks for replying...what is SVT please?

Gail

Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

SVT is a supraventricular techycardia. My heart races up to 200 bpm for no apparent reason. Supposidly Magnesium is good for your nerves and nerve misfires are the cause of the irregular heart beats.
If you don't have them, then be glad.

Lyl

Old 12-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi,

I'm on Diltiazem 120mg SR and Magnesium 250 mg for over a year now and I have no side effects. Actually, Magnesium helped a lot although I have read that Magnesium may increase the symptoms of side effects of CCBs. Today I didn't take Magnesium and I'm watching what would happen, I don't eat after I take Diltiazem by 2 hours. In fact, today I got a reading which is lower by 23 points .
I will keep posting about what I feel.
Good Luck,
Michael

Old 12-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
(female)

Gail L HB User

Lylone, thanks for the reply....I get palpitions sometimes it feels like my heart is pounding for a short time and then it goes, is this what you call SVT?

Michael
Can I ask why you don't eat for 2 hours after taking Diltiazem? What time of day do you take your tablet.
I take mine at night around 8pm.

Thanks Gail

Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hello Gail,

Of course you can ask me anything you like, that's why we are here. First I take the Slow Release version of Diltiazem so I have to take it twice daily, i take 120 mg every 12 hours. I have read online that it should be taken on empty stomach and shouldn't eat after it directly. I think to be better absorbed by the body.
Good Luck,
Michael

Old 12-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Gail,

It depends on what you mean by your heart pounding. Does it feel like it is beating really hard or like it is beating many times. SVTs are very rapid heart rates. Like I can have them for 5 minutes and sometimes last for an hour. It basically when my heart beats fast like close to 200 bpm. I can usually feel it in the artery in my neck and it makes me feel sick to my stomach.
Its different than like my heart is beating so hard it would beat out of my chest. I don't feel it in my chest, but definately in that artery.

Does that help?

Lynn

Old 12-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
(female)

Gail L HB User

Lylone my heart just beats hard rather than fast.

Michael thankyou for your reply, I take slow release also but only 180mg once a day.

Gail

Old 12-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hello Gail,

I tried to take 180 mg SR (twice daily so it's 360 mg) I got a little tired and sleepy but I guess it disappears with time. Now I take 120 twice daily and I'm doing fine. Good Luck and keep visiting the boards.
Michael

Closed Thread