It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
(female)

flojay HB User
Question Blood pressure won't stay down?

I am on four blood pressure medicines now. Micardis,Atenolol,Tranterine, and Clonidine, all at the max doses.
The clonidine was increased from 0.4 to 0.6 when my pressure went to 190/90 again. Now so far it seems to be holding ok but it never seems to last very long. I wonder what more can be done?
I have to be careful what meds are used since some of them cause a drastic rise in my liver enzymes...like being between a rock and a hard place.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

koyla86 HB User
Re: Blood pressure won't stay down?

Breathing will definitley help and control the blood pressure.
Do the following breathing exercises known as Yoga Pranayam.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Upto 5 minutes daily.

Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle daily for 30 minutes maximum.
Tips : Breathe into lungs not into stomach. Do not hurry. Do it slowly. Rest whenever needed (in any pranayam).Can be done in sitting position, standing or lying in bed(if bed-bound).Keep tissues handy, as a lot of mucous from lungs will be coming through the nose.Do the pranayam before eating.Do 15 minutes initially and build up to the maximum time over a few days. Can be done twice a day.
You wll notice the effect within a few days.
There is always an alternative when you search.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
(female)

Debbyefk HB User

flo,

I feel for you and I'm in the same place. I've had hypertension for less than 3 years and my blood pressure has gone out of control twice. Norvasc was increased to highest dose and I had a kind of agitated depression. I'm okay on diltiazem i was switched to, but the diovan 320 is causing far too much fatigue. I refused to increase the hctz at the same time. I'm calling the doc on monday/

Do you have any risk factors for this? I don't. Frankly, its a bit frightening and for me I think it will be a continual tweaking of my meds.

Has your doctor switched you to different meds in the same classification. I was able to go from one high dose calcium channel blocker to another on a lower dose and I would like to go from Diovan to a different and lower dose ARF.

Best wishes to you, there's a lot of bp meds and combos thay can try

Debby

Old 01-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
(female)

flojay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbyefk
flo,

I feel for you and I'm in the same place. I've had hypertension for less than 3 years and my blood pressure has gone out of control twice. Norvasc was increased to highest dose and I had a kind of agitated depression. I'm okay on diltiazem i was switched to, but the diovan 320 is causing far too much fatigue. I refused to increase the hctz at the same time. I'm calling the doc on monday/

Do you have any risk factors for this? I don't. Frankly, its a bit frightening and for me I think it will be a continual tweaking of my meds.

Has your doctor switched you to different meds in the same classification. I was able to go from one high dose calcium channel blocker to another on a lower dose and I would like to go from Diovan to a different and lower dose ARF.

Best wishes to you, there's a lot of bp meds and combos thay can try

Debby
My dr. has tried different drugs but a lot of them cause my liver enzymes to rise way up so I have to steer clear of those. That cuts my field down as to what I can take. As far as I know I don't have any risk factors for high blood pressure. I ride my exercise bike twice a day and have cut out all salt. So far with the new drug I'm holding ok but I never know when it's going to shoot up again. Flo

Old 01-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hi Flojay

I'm very curious, can you feel that your blood pressure is high when it goes up like that?

Also, have you tried any of the foods, spices, or herbs that can help in lowering your pressure such as garlic, lima beans, orange juice, canalope, cinnamon (will really do it) etc.?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
(female)

flojay HB User

Hi Barbara Ann,
I don't really have any outstanding symptoms when it goes up like that. But I just don't "feel" right & I don't sleep well at all. I eat all the foods you mentioned and I've cut out all of the "junk" foods, salty stuff and heavy meals. I am diabetic also so my diet reflects that too. I am working on stress although I don't feel like I'm unable to cope with things? It's a mystery.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
I ride my exercise bike twice a day and have cut out all salt
If you meant triamterene instead of tranterine or else Tranterine is a little referenced brand name, then it is a potassium sparing diuretic which dumps sodium out of your system. The Micardis is also potassium sparing.

So DON'T cut out your sodium or you can wind up with a dangerous situation of very low-sodium and high-postassium.

Low sodium can be a very dangerous and life threatening problem.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
(female)

flojay HB User

Thank you Lenin, I had no idea of that problem? So I'll go back to using a normal amount of salt on things. Mostly my excess salt came from salted nuts and potato chips which I have quit eating. I now eat walnuts and a small amount of popcorn. Again thank you for that information! Flo

Closed Thread