It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

Sonia567 HB User
General Anesthesia with HBP

I am having an outpatient surgery on Thursday. My dr (gyn) told me I will be asleep, but given the short duration of the surgery (1 hr) and that the procedure is relatively non-invasive, I am assuming I will be having a MAC (sp?) rather than general. I have had many outpatient surgeries and one major sugery, but have never been so scared about undergoing the anesthesia before, since I now have high BP. Has anyone here had surgery since you've been diagnosed with HBP? Do you know how they monitor your BP during sugery, and does the anesthesia cause BP to increase? I am taking BP med, but still my BP ranges 140-160 over 90-110. I do not talk to the anesthesiologist until the night before the surgery. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Sonia567; 01-30-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: General Anesthesia with HBP

I am in that category you talk about. I recently had a 7-1/2 hour cardiac bypass, and a 2-hour carotid endarterectomy, (both under general anesthesia). I don't know how they monitored my BP during the bypass, but during the endarterectomy, I just had an automated BP cuff. My sedation during the endarterectomy was not "deep", I didn't wake up with a breathing tube and ventilator.

I cannot say if the anesthesia causes BP to increase.... however, the general case with sedation is that it is like sleep, in which the blood pressure goes down. Deep sedation causes the need for a breathing-tube, as well, because the respiration is depressed.

I am relatively certain that your BP will be monitored and well-controlled with injectables during the surgery and the post-op recovery period.

The cardiac bypass is done on 360,000 people annually in the US. I would be willing to bet that 90% of them have HBP.

Last edited by tfkeel; 01-30-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
(female)

Sonia567 HB User

TFkeel, Thanks for your reply. It made me feel much better.

Last night, after I did the treadmill and my breathing exercises (I hadn't done the breathing in awhile), my BP went down to 132/75, but this morning was up to 155/111. I did a little searching on the internet last night... I didn't realize that part of an anesthesiologist's job is to monitor your BP during surgery and give meds to lower it if necessary.

I really appreciate your response. My stress level has gone way down!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
(female)

violet312s HB User

I had major surgery 5 years ago when my normal BP was running in the 140-150/85-95 range. I was unmedicated at that time. Full anesthesia. No problems whatsoever.

It's all about being honest with your anesthesiologist in the pre-surgery visit.

So that you don't lose any more sleep, imagine what anestesiologists go through when dealing with trauma patients with BP all over the map. That's what they do.

Relax and best of luck with your surgery. I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
(female)

Sonia567 HB User
Re: General Anesthesia with HBP - Update

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to give everyone an update and pass along the information I have learned recently, for others with HPB who might be undergoing surgery in the future.

In a nutshell, my surgery was cancelled. In my pre-op interview, I expressed my concerns over my BP not being controlled lately. 30 min later, got a call from my dr saying the medical director of the surgery center cancelled the surgery and wants a clearance letter from my cardiologist, and my BP under control, before they will do the surgery. (I already had the clearance from cardio, but not in written form, and this was before BP had gone higher). Now, my dr wants to have the surgery done at the hospital instead of the surgery center. In speaking to an anesthesiologist, this is what I have learned. If your BP is not properly under control, it is very dangerous to undergo general anesthesia, because you will be at greater risk of heart attack, stroke and blood loss. Even though the anesthesiologist does monitor your BP during surgery and can medicate you to lower it, you are still at an increased if your blood pressure is not under control before the surgery begins, because it is the instantaeous rise (before the anesthesiologist can see the increase, give the medicines and have them work to lower it) that you might cause you to have a stroke, etc. They did seem most concerned about the diastolic - I was told anything over 110 is enough to cancel surgery.

So, I am now on a new med and have already seen good improvement with lower numbers (125/82 last night), but am going to play it safe and get consistently low numbers for awhile before rescheduling the sugery.

Closed Thread