It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User
High Pulse Pressure?

My cardiologist told me to monitor my blood pressure. I have been noticing lately that the diastolic number is very low. So I had to go and look it up online this morning and came across the term pulse pressure (the difference between systolic and diastolic) and now I'm really scared. My blood pressure last night was 127/60 with a pulse rate of 65. That is a pulse pressure of 67. I read that it should be between 40 and 50. I'm 31 years old, so it isn't due to age. Should I be worried about this? I have an appointment with my cardiologist later this month, but in the mean time I will be scared to death over this. I have problems with health anxiety, so I don't deal with worry very well. Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: High Pulse Pressure?

The most usual cause of a high pulse pressure is the noncompliance of the aorta. The aorta is usually soft and compliant to the "dumping" of blood from the heart, and it expands when it receives this blood load, reducing the pressure rise. As people age, all the blood vessels of the body become hard, due to atherosclerosis, and even high blood pressure itself. This is present in countless thousands of people.

If your high pulse pressure has this cause, it would be a good idea to follow guidelines for your diet, exercise, and perhaps medication as your cardiologist dictates.

You didn't mention whether you were currently taking any blood-pressure medication.

Certain problems with heart valves and valve functions can also cause high pulse pressures.

The fact that your appointment is later this month (if the cardiologist knows your history and of your high pulse pressure) gives an indication that he/she does not consider this very urgent.

Last edited by tfkeel; 02-05-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Thanks for the post. I used to be on beta blockers for a fast heart rate, but I had to stop them because my heart rate started dropping and it is still very slow (in the 50s most of the day).

I had an echo less than a year ago, so I don't think there is anything wrong with my heart valves. Also, I had an ultrasound of my aorta for an aneurysm screening and that was normal too.

I have had bp readings like that in the doctors office and no one has ever said anything to me. I guess no one is concerned with it. I wish I had never read about it so I wouldn't be concerned either. Unfortunately, things like this really scare me and I'm sure I'll be a nervous wreck about it until my appointment at the end of the month!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

I have it, too - although I am much older than you. No one ever said anything to me, either. It sounds as if you have little cause to worry.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
My blood pressure last night was 127/60 with a pulse rate of 65. That is a pulse pressure of 67.
Don't give that a moments thought...it is FINE. No need for worry.
I think pulse pressure had its day and is now pretty well relegated to a footnote.
They tend to talk more in terms of isolated systolic hypertension now...but that comes into play only with much higher systolic than 128.

Really, your numbers are good and everybody here would trade with you.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
(female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User

I agree with Lenin. This sounds normal to me, and your systolic is not considered high to be honest. You are actually fortunate to have a low diastolic and I would stop worrying altogether.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Thank you both for your posts! I'm a worrier by nature and it doesn't help me to worry about this stuff. Who knows how accurate those machines are at CVS anyway. I'm going to *try* to put it out of my mind!

Thanks!

Closed Thread