It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
(male)

scg1953 HB User
How long do the effects of a med last after stopping?

I have been having what seems to be an impossible time trying to tolerate any class of BP meds.. It seems that every class I have been prescribed gives me side effects that make it almost impossible to carry out my normal every day tasks. The latest is Lisinopril 20mg per day seemed to be ok for 1 3/4 months . With this ( as stated in previous post) I have been having the feeling that the left side of my face is swollen but nothing visible. In a prevoius post Lenin suggested that this may be an allergic reaction and advised that I stop taking Lisinopril for 2 weeks to see if the feeling goes away. Well about 1 week ago I decided cut myself down to 10mg per day (and go with suppliments only)and still had the feeling then 3 days ago I went to 5mg and was still having the feeling but now added Light headedness/ Dizziness to the mix. This was so bad on Saturday (2days ago) that I did not take Lisinopril yesterday. I felt better than I have since July when I was first put on meds. for High Blood Pressure. That brings me to Today, I am getting that dizzy feeling again. My BP was in the 140's when they put me on meds. and after cutting down and now stopping it has not been above 143 and as low as 123. My question is ... How long does it take for Lisinopril to completely get out of your system and do you think the dizziness today is residual Lisinopril in my system.

Sorry for the long post but I really need encouragement with this whole BP thing and don't seem to get it from the Doc.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: How long do the effects of a med last after stopping?

Hi,

I had a hard time dealing with my hbp meds too. I spent many months trying different drugs from all the drug classes. I had dizziness, weakness, sweating and lightheaded with ACEs and ARBs. Beta-Blockers caused Depression and many other problems, diuretics were not that bad but I can't take them because they may cause ED.

Anyway, I was left with only the CCB drug class to try and I started wih Norvasc 5mg. I had no side effects but also no lowering effects on my blood pressure so I tried Diltiazem SR and finally I got response with no side effects. no weakness, no dizziness and everything is fine since I started using it in 11/2005. notice that the dose is very important, at first I started with 2 90mg SR daily and I increased it. You have to know that CCB cause headache at the first 2 weeks but it will eventually disappear .
I hope this helps.
Michael

Closed Thread