It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

marcine26 HB User
how long after starting atenolol before I see results

I started taking 25mg of atenolol 5 days ago and I am wondering how long before I start seeing the results?

My take my BP a few times a day, 1st thing in the morning, lunch time, when I get home from work, and right before bed.

Before I started taking the meds my BP was consistantly high (around 150/110) morning noon and night, now it varies alot, going from 140/97 to 130/87 to 151/110 all day long. Is this good or bad or is it my body getting used to the atenolol?
I have a call into my dr to check but she is not in until tomorrow. I am also having possible side effects of blood shot red eyes, extreme exhaustion, loss of apetite. Not sure if they are side effects or I am getting sick.

Thanks for reading and any advice you may have

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
Re: how long after starting atenolol before I see results

Hi Amy...I started bp meds last Wednesday (25mg atenolol). My doctor said to take it at night with food, that has really been good for me and I have not been too tired. Also, it can take anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks for it to start really working. Any type of new medication scares me, so I am watching myself really carefully and also trying to incorporate new lifestyle changes to my life so that maybe I can go off of them pretty quickly. Best of Luck to you, I hope I have been helpful..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

The blood shot eyes, extreme exhaustion, and loss of appetite sound like side effects to me. Report these to your doctor immediately, it you haven't already. I would also be VERY aware of the way you feel mentally. When I was on atenolol, I lost interest in doing the things I loved to do which is a very dangerous side effect.

Amy, while on medications any changes in your body, your thinking, or your daily activities need to be documented. The most damaging side effect I experienced on bp meds was one of mental muddiness---poor concentration (errors in doing simple tasks like making out deposit slips; inability to read newspapers, magazines, books: inability to address envelopes), confusion (inability to organize---paperwork piliing up), and memory loss (realizing that you've told the same story 3 times in an evening). Report anything like this IMMEDIATELY as the longer it goes on the less likely you will be able to help yourself.

Work with your doctor on a DASH diet, exercise plan, and other non drug treatments! Do everything you possibly can to eliminate the drugs, thus the side effects, in your life. You'll be healthier and HAPPIER for it.

Good luck and good health!

Bethsheba

Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
(female)

marcine26 HB User

Thank you for your replies.

I have a call into my doctor but havent heard back yet. I am thinking these are side effects also. But the eyes, I am not sure about. I just feel so tired that I think that is whats happening to my eyes. I went to bed last night at 730, woke up at 5 with my alarm and literally pushed myself out of bed at 6am, and tried to get motivated as I was already very late.

What will the dr do? will she want to see me, or change the meds or the amount of meds? I just dont have the time to travel to hospital....again, I am going there on thursday for more blood work and other appointments. I also have 1 apt a week for the next 4 weeks. I cant afford financially to be taking so much time out of work.

ARGH, this is so frustrating

TRhank you again

Old 03-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I called the doctor when I had questions or problems with my bp meds--once they told me on the phone that i should try the med a little longer, usually they called the pharmacist with a prescription for a different medication, and once they had me come in (this because I objected to a refill of a bp med that I was already having problems with---when I came into the office we were able to determine that an automation error was made when the doctor's office placed an order with the pharmacy -- my old med was prescribed in addition to the new medication. Thank goodness I caught that one!)

Don't be afraid to call your doctor's office with concerns. Often these concerns can be addressed on the phone--my doctor hasn't charged for these phone consults.

Do ask lots of questions, and do research the answers you are given. Doctors are human and can't possibly know everything!

Good luck and good health!

Bethsheba

Old 03-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Amy..Bethsheba is right! Don't ever be afraid to call you doctor if you think a medication is giving you a side effect. There are many types of meds out there for high blood pressure. I would call for sure!!! Also, do try taking the med at night after you eat dinner. I have had most every person that I know who is in the healthcare industry say that the evening is the best time to take Atenolol.
Also, I will tell you to do the same thing that I am doing...everything I know how (diet and exercise...) to try and get my body working well so that I can be off the meds as soon as possible.
Best of Luck to you and please do call your doc, more likely than not they will probably call in something else for you or suggest a solution. If you are worried about calling your doc and "bothering" them then you should seek out another doctor that makes you feel more comfortable. You need to feel like they are your partner in care...
Blessings to you..
CrazyLife

Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
(female)

marcine26 HB User

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for your advice. My dr called me back today and I think I feel ok with her answers. First off, she thinks my eyes are/were a viral conjuctivitis. She said that atenolol would not give that side effect, she said she even looked it up, if anything dry eyes, so to use saline for that. She said if it gets worse or doesnt go away to call her back. I was OK with that response.
She said I should see a response in my BP reads by now, and to keep tracking them. I was around 163/116, now they are 147/99. She said it a start in the right direction but not where she wants my numbers. When I see her end of March, she will review and if needed she will either up the mg on the atenolol or change to a different med.
The exhaustion is a definate side effect and some people have that side effect, some people dont, and some peoples bodies will adjust and it will go away. She put me on the atenolol as her first choice as I am prone to migraines, but since they are not going away and I am way too exhausted right now she asked that I give it a little bit longer to see if I will overcome this side effect and again, if I dont get over it we will talk about changing the meds to a non sleepy side effect drug.
So basically I am staying where i am for now, if things get worse, I need to call her and if not, we will review everything on the 27th of march. I have lots of blood work testing to do between now and then so if needed I will be just down the hall from her.
Thank you all for your help and responses. I feel better knowing there are others going or have gone thru what I am and are able to offer their advice.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad we could be of some help...it sounds like you accomplished alot in that phone call!

I really appreciated CrazyLife's comment about comfort level with the doctor. It doesn't matter how good a doctor is if you're not comfortable telling them your concerns...it's something for all of us to keep in mind.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread