HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High & Low Blood Pressure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/)
-   -   Lasix & Klor-Con question (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/478451-lasix-klor-con-question.html)

Sonia567 03-07-2007 10:08 AM

Lasix & Klor-Con question

My dr. has recently prescribed 20mg Lasix and Klor-Con 8MEQ Sust-Release tabs (potassium), both once daily. I have been reading past posts about Lasix and how it is better to take it twice a day. If I split the Lasix and take it twice a day, how will that affect the potassium supplement? Would my body be storing too much potassium then? Should I just take the Lasix once a day?

Also, I know some people can take diuretics and do just fine, and some people have horrible side effects and have even landed in the ER from them. What side effects should I be on the lookout for when first trying these? I have a right to sound paranoid :) I have had horrible side effects to almost every other class of BP med I have taken.

I am also on Aldomet – (dr won’t let me off of it until I find someone else that works, and I have read that it has some scary long term side effects).

Thanks for any advice!

Lenin 03-08-2007 05:42 AM

Re: Lasix & Klor-Con question

Hi Sonia,

Aldomet (mthyldopa) has a nasty side effect, it retains water and thus Lasix is an IDEAL companion.
I've taken Lasix 80 mg. and postassium 20 Meq., Lasix 40 mg. and 20 Meq for the last 2 years or so along with 50 mg. Cozaar. (Now trying NOTHING...fingers crossed)

I LIKE Lasix because it is fast acting and tends to dump WATER more than salt...thus my sodium stays normal, unlike with thiazides. It immediately relieves my morning fiunger and back bloat and actually FEELS good...how's THAT for a BP med!:D The SCALE also loves it.;)

I prefer once daily dosing because I found the second dose was almost noneffective except to cause serious dry mouth while sleeping. Once a day dosing allows for better managing the water works cycle. NEVER get on a train or a bus within 3 hours of taking the Lasix.

It is absorbed better in an alkaline medium so take it AFTER breakfast.
Take the potassium chloride WITH it and also after a meal becasue the KCl can irritate an empty stomach...it does mine. The 8 Meq. KCl is a small dose, about 300 mg. and about 10% of normal potassium intake so don't worry too much about when or how much. Your first blood test will let you know if you are taking enough.

Summary:
Take the 20 mg. Lasix after breakfast each day and stay near a bathroom for 3 hours.

IF you are a salt sensitive hypertensive you might find that Lasix 40 mg. WITHOUT the methlydopa is your answer but time will tell. Aldomet is quite hard on the liver so it's not a first choice antihypertensive by ANY means.

Good luck.

Sonia567 03-08-2007 09:12 AM

Hi Lenin,

Thank you for the advice.:) I believe I remembering you saying that you shouldn't limit your sodium intake too much when taking a thiazide, since low sodium levels can be dangerous and thiazides deplete them. I am assuming this would not be the case with Lasix, since it mainly gets rid of water. Is that correct?

Yes, I have read all of the horrible side effects of Methyldopa and am trying very hard to get off of it. Mainly because of the long term side effects, but also because it is not working anymore. I have upped my dosage to 1 1/3 of a 250 mg pill (3 x day) to get any effect at all. I hope the Lasix works. If it doesn't, or if it only works in combination with the Methyldopa, I don't know what else to try. I have tried an ACE, Lisinopril (had facial itching/ numbness from only 1/4 pill), 2 ARB's (Mycardis & Benicar) had different reactions to both. Since I've had reactions to 2 ARB's, is it possible there might be one I can take, say Diovan? I've read some favorable posts about it. I haven't tried a CCB (don't want to because of the recent concern that women who take CCB's may increase their risk for heart problems) or a Beta Blocker (I've read so many horror stories on these from this board). I am not sure where that leaves me. :confused:

Lenin 03-09-2007 05:42 AM

Correct,
There is much less sodium depletion from Lasix.

Sonia,

IF you are a salt sensitive hypertensive, you may find that LASIX and potassium are all you need and not everyone needs the potassium, the blood test will tell.

I am salt sensitive and I did a trial on myself:
I went a month with no drugs than added only Cozaar...my BP went UP 15 points with the losartan.:eek:
The next day I tried only Lasix and my systolic dropped 30 points along with a 5 pound weight loss.
So it's pretty clear what class of drugs salt-sensitive (Volume driven or V-type) hyperstensives do best on.

The reason that I continue to take Cozaar with it is that I have gout and losartan is uricosuric wheras all diuretics conserve uric acid...BAD.

If I were you, I would do a monthlong trial with JUST Lasix and potassium <with fingers crossed>, and then if BP isn't good enough, add Benicar (who knows?)
As a last resort you can always throw the methlydopa into the mix if you MUST.:dizzy:

Sonia567 03-09-2007 08:44 AM

Thanks, Lenin for the advice. I'll let you know how the Lasix works, and am keeping my fingers crossed. :)