It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

Pam17 HB User
High Blood pressure and Fluid retention

I measured my bp tonight with one of those home testers and it read 136/102 with a resting pulse of 73. I have also noticed that my ankles have started swelling a little earlier than usual (normally hot summer months) and in fact my left leg has felt quite tight. I weigh about 196lbs at 5ft 4 inches and think I am also starting the perimenopause.

Should I be worried and if so what do I deal with first?

Old 03-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

angellight HB User
Re: High Blood pressure and Fluid retention

Pam,
First of all, don't get worried. The last thing we need is to get ourselves upset.
Are you on meds? Tell your doctor what's going on. Could be a side effect from the meds. If you are not on meds yet, and you are retaining too much water, then maybe they would put you on a diuretic.
( Perimenopause doesn't help either. aren't we lucky to go through this!)
Hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam17 View Post
I weigh about 196lbs at 5ft 4 inches ... Should I be worried ... ?
I suffered from chronically high blood pressure, heart rhythm disturbances, swollen lower legs and ankles, and worsening heart failure. I have now been on a strict diet for a little over two years. My average monthly blood pressure is in the low 120's / low 70's, based on hundreds of readings. My heart beats much better. I no longer have swollen legs or ankles. I feel a million times better, have more energy and my mind is clearer.

My Cholesterol Numbers are also great, without having to take statins!

Total Cholesterol: about 160, HDL: about 60, LDL: about 90, Trig: about 60, Ratio: < 3

The reason that I went on a strict diet was because my health got so bad and uncomfortable that I had no other choice. I did not want to diet, EVER! Now, however, I LOVE it!

Do you feel that your weight problems could be causing the problems you have with your health?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-15-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

Pam17 HB User

I think I've really been complacent because I have never (fingers crossed) had bad health and am not currently on any meds.

However in the past year or so I have had trouble with my left knee, it makes a grating noise as I go up and down stairs, and can be a little painful at times. I have also started having the trouble with fluid retention. I wake up in the morning with a puffy face and the fluid gradually makes it's way back down to my ankles during the day.

I don't feel ill just worried and wondering what's going on.

I've tried for years to diet - every thing from Atkins to meal replacements and although i've been successful on occasion I've always managed to mess it up and put it on again. Realistiaclly speaking would a reduction in my weight alleviate these various symptoms and avoid the need for meds?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam17 View Post
I think I've really been complacent because I have never (fingers crossed) had bad health and am not currently on any meds.
Glad to hear that your health is excellent!

Quote:
However in the past year or so I have had trouble with my left knee, it makes a grating noise as I go up and down stairs, and can be a little painful at times.
Sounds like the beginnings of cartilage problems. As the cartilage continues to wear and tear, the problems usually increase. Lowering the weight load on your knees would definitely be a positive step.

Quote:
I have also started having the trouble with fluid retention. I wake up in the morning with a puffy face and the fluid gradually makes it's way back down to my ankles during the day.
There can be many reasons for fluid retention. It could be connection to female hormones, or it could be a sign or warning of other, more serious problems.

Quote:
I don't feel ill just worried and wondering what's going on.
That's a good sign that you don't feel ill. If you don't have breathing problems especially when lying down, or heart rhythm problems, or high blood pressure, etc., then that probably explains why you feel good.

How often do you test your blood pressure? How often your blood sugar? How often your cholesterol and triglycerides?

To rule out many more serious problems, you could get a complete blood test (CBC), which tests your major organs, like your liver, kidneys, etc., just to make sure everything is firing on all cylinders.

Quote:
I've tried for years to diet - every thing from Atkins to meal replacements and although i've been successful on occasion I've always managed to mess it up and put it on again.
I'm on the greatest diet EVER invented. I was, er am a compulsive eater. I was able to consume large quantities of snacks, ice cream, subs, pizza, french fries, and moderate amounts of beer, and never went more than about 20 pounds overweight. Even after I developed heart failure, 20 years ago, I still continued to eat and drink as I pleased.

So...... I needed a diet that was tailored to the compulsive eater. I found one. I eat FIVE small, low calorie, high fiber meals a day, and have FOUR small snack sessions per day, so I am filling face NINE times per day, or about every 90 minutes. Being retired, this fits well into my schedule.

Quote:
Realistiaclly speaking would a reduction in my weight alleviate these various symptoms and avoid the need for meds?
Absolutely. It would also be like an insurance policy, helping to keep you around healthier and longer for your daughters. I would almost guarantee you that, if you don't get on a healthier diet, you will be at great risk of Diabetes Type II. As we age, our bodies don't handle calories as well as when we were younger. Health problems don't get better, as we age, they tend to get worse, unless we exercise and have a healthy diet.

You are having increased symptoms, such as water retention, at least one high blood pressure reading and knee pain. You can spend a lot of time trying to figure out exactly what is wrong, or you can take the greatest two medications of this world, which is proper diet and exercise.

The diet, that I have followed for the past two years is a modified form of a diet, which targets Insulin Resistance, Created by Sheri Barke, MPH, RD UCLA Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center, 2002. [removed]

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-16-2007 at 06:04 PM.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
(female)

angellight HB User

[QUOTE=beerzoids;

The diet, that I have followed for the past two years is a modified form of a diet Created by Sheri Barke, MPH, RD UCLA Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center, 2002. [/QUOTE]

Will have to take a look at that diet.
I've just purchased a book on the DASH diet. I am going to try it. It is supposed to be really good for reducing b/p. Looks like Beerzoids gave you some good info. Good luck

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-15-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Closed Thread