It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Question Is 130/92 considered high?

I don't believe my doctor when she says that I have hypertension. Regardless that it runs in my family, I don't think that an average of 130/92 is high. It only goes up to like 142/110 if I'm really stressed out about something. But then it goes back down again.

When is the best time to take your blood pressure at home? Is it right when you get up? Or right before you go to sleep? I'd like to try to get a week's worth of readings on my BP monitor before I go in to see my doctor, but I want to know when is the best time to measure for the most accurate reading. Definitely NOT when I first get home from work because I'm usually very stressed out whenever I'm driving.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Munroe HB User
Re: Is 130/92 considered high?

Hi Bracelet,
I agree with you completely. Your diastolic is a little high but there's a lot of disagreement about how important this figure is. It also relates to your age. I would keep a close eye on it but I steadfastly refused drugs when my bp was that much and higher still. Since then I've got it under control naturally.
I'm not anti-medicine but the prescription drug pressure is getting to be too much. Now they're calling even moderate blood pressure "pre-hypertension" and want to prescribe drugs for it!
As for taking your readings most people find it's higher in the morning after getting up. I prefer doing it in the evenings or any other relaxing time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Bracelet,
Test yourself whenever you have time to sit relaxed for a while...watching TV is a good time.
First thing in the morning is a particularly BAD time because the waking up poicess is jarring to the body and most poeople run the highest BP's of the day when that alarm clock goes off.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
(female)

violet312s HB User

Bracelet,

One thing to keep in mind is that if you run stressed all day your BP is probably running high all day, so taking it when you are at your most relaxed is probably giving you baseline, not average.

What your doc is probably concerned about is the diastolic (lower number). A high diastolic in younger people is worse than a high systolic based on concerns about how that reading correlates to heart disease. I turn 40 Tuesday and she categorizes me as "younger".

That's why my doc wanted me on a slightly higher dose of medication. My diastolic was running around 95-105 during my worst time of day on lowest dose so we upped it. Goal was for diastolic to be under 85 on average during my worst time of day (evenings).

Old 03-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
(female)

NanaBecca HB User

If your diastolic is persistently high, then you should be concerned. HTN is not some bizarre disorder that few doctors comprehend. If your physician feels that you should be concerned about your BP, then you should listen. The newest recommendation is actually lower than the old "normal" of 120/80 at 115/75. Some people have pressures a bit higher or a bit lower but you doctor is going to go by what is normal for you. CVA's and MI's can occur at lower "high" pressures. HTN is a silent killer..... left unchecked it can wreak all kinds of havoc....

Please don't dismiss your doctor's concerns...

Old 03-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
(male)

Radios On HB User

I agree not to dismiss your doctor's concerns, but to go on meds with what seems like borderline hypertension without doing the basics first like exercise and eating healthy seems strange. If you do those things currently or do them and they don't work then yes I would definitely consider going on meds.

Closed Thread