It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User
Metoprolol and restless legg cramping?

I just started the medicine metoprolol for high blood pressure and I can't sleep at night because of leg cramping. Has anyone heard of this before? I eat bananas and it doesn't help at all. What is going on? I guess I need to talk to my Dr. about it. Any input will be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: Metoprolol and restless legg cramping?

If your leg cramps are due to hypokalemia, bananas aren't really going to help you too much. Although they do contain potassium, you would probably have to eat a dozen daily or more to get enough K in you to stop
the cramps.

Your doctor may want to prescribe a potassium supplement, I don't recommend that you start that without speaking to him/her. The cramps may have another origin. This should be checked by a blood test.

Leg cramping is not a listed side effect of Metoprolol. Your doctor may have some clinical experience to call upon to help you.

There is one specific OTC leg-cramp prophylaxis preparation which contains Diphenhydramine HCL/Acetaminophen called Legatrin PM. This is the same formula as Tylenol PM, if I am not mistaken, and many other OTC preparations contain this quite-safe antihistamine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
(male)

plavixman HB User
Re: Metoprolol and restless legg cramping?

I used to take metoprolol for hypertension and I had sever cramps in my legs, rib cage and neck. After my stent thrombosis, they put me on Coreg and about 90% of the cramps went away. I was also taking large doses of Potassium and have since came completely off of it. I wouldn't surprize me if it wasn't your problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to plavixman For This Useful Post:
pamela1234 (08-01-2011)
Closed Thread