It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

jdchablis HB User
Talking My Thoughts On Atenolol

After quitting Atenolol last year, I decided to go back on it again for another trial run to see how I reacted to it. I was having strange headaches;almost like a "brain freeze" pain in the back of my skull, plus ear problems. I went to a neuroligist and was told I had disc problems in my neck, and I received epidural shots, which did help somewhat. I began to feel better, so I decided to go back on the Atenolol. I have been on it for about 5 months now. Once again, I am having ear problems, tingling and numbness in hands, and occasional headaches. And, this time around, the back of my legs ache, and I have developed a terrible ache in my right side, which has been there for about 3 weeks and won't go away. My doctor said I have a "pulled muscle", and he sent me to therapy. Usually if I over tax my body and get sore, the ache goes away in a few days. My point is, it seems that whatever else may be going on in my body, as to the neck problem, the side ache problem, I really think the Atenolol intensifies the condition. I am not sure if the Atenolol causes my problems, but I think by taking it, it makes certain conditions that I might have had and never was bothered by, all of a sudden become more noticible and painful. Does anyone think this might be true?

I am once again going to wean off the Atenolol and see what happens with my neck and side. Perhaps the symptoms will either go away or at least ease up. Or, does anyone here think these things I mentioned could be caused by the Atenolol? I have heard this med can cause muscle problems.

I just wanted to give a few thoughts for you good people to ponder, and I am really interested on hearing your opinions and suggestions. My doctor is no help, and doesn't give me much input when I talk about this to him. I have weaned down to 12.5 mgs. a day, and am going to start taking that every other day for another week or so, and then stop once again and see if I feel better.

Thanks for listening, and sorry for the long post. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I have faith in your experiences with Atenolol!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: My Thoughts On Atenolol

Hi,
Have you seen your routine bloodwork re: liver function especially? You should obtain a copy for your records to make sure nothing is overlooked.
Muscle pain etc seems to be comnon with these drugs. My muscles get weak & heavy after taking Lebetalol (alpha/beta blocker). The feeling passes though after about 3-4hrs. Since I can't take most b/p drugs, I have to put up with it. One factor may be that I am taking almost the max dose. Fam

Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I was only on atenolol for a few weeks but experienced pain in my little fingers which I had never experienced before (despite the many aches and pains I had while on other bp meds.) The little finger pain disappeared after a week or two but then I experienced severe mood problems so I disco'd the drug immediately.

I had mild to severe muscle, joint, and bone pain while on ALL of the 5 different bp meds (one at a time) I've been on...please note that prior to being on bp meds I have never had muscle, joint, or bone pain except for an injury 40 years prior. I didn't attribute my aches and pains to bp meds (neither did my doctors, and as in your experience my docs precribed pt) but my symptoms lessened when I forgot to take my med or disappeared completely when I stopped taking the med.

You might want to check the drug info sheet that your pharmacist sent along with your rx and compare your symptoms to what it has listed for side effects and overdose. Pharmacists have alot of info and knowledge as to what people have experienced on a particular drug. Keep in mind that not all side effects are listed on those sheets.

Bethsheba

Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I don't know if I can shed much light but what I have found after being on 3 beta-blockers, each for a reasonable length of time...several years in fact for propranolol.
They all caused periods of extreme weakness of the large muscles of the body like my thighs and buttocks. I'm an active guy but there were times that I thought my legs would give out before I reached the top of a a long flight of stairs. I am self-aware enough to KNOW this was more than the effect attributable to just a weakened heartbeat and slow pulse (for the BP effect I was seeking.) It's something MORE. Perhaps our muscles need adrenaline just for normal functioning, not just for fight or flight response.

All that said, it would not surprise me if some people like jd found actual PAIN from beta blocker use.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Hi,
Have you seen your routine bloodwork re: liver function especially? You should obtain a copy for your records to make sure nothing is overlooked.
Muscle pain etc seems to be comnon with these drugs. My muscles get weak & heavy after taking Lebetalol (alpha/beta blocker). The feeling passes though after about 3-4hrs. Since I can't take most b/p drugs, I have to put up with it. One factor may be that I am taking almost the max dose. Fam
I have been on Labetalol 800mg/day for over 4 months now. There are 3 other meds I take for BP. I experience breathlessness with any exertion; nausea, lightheadedness, cough, dry mouth, insomnia...Not being able to
get enough oxygen to function properly is really tough. (I am an active person by nature-those days are gone, I fear). I just started having problems similar to yours, muscle aches, leg weakness and pain, joint aches...I thought Lipitor was responsible for these-was started on it 1 1/2 months ago> I did not know beta blockers could have these side effects also.
Why can't you take BP meds? I have severe hypertension and have just started using supplements to bring my BP to a lower(safer) level, even while taking my meds, BP was quite high. Better now.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
(female)

jdchablis HB User

Thanks, everyone, for your responses to my post. I appreciate everyone's input. I have had a general check-up, blood work, etc., and everthing was ok. I don't think that included any testing of my liver, however. I will have to mention that to my doctor. According to your responses, I do see that muscle pain is definitely a side effect of Atenolol as well as other b/p meds. I do realize that most medications have side effects, and I can put up with minor ones, but this pain in my side is quite intense and is not diminishing. Of course, it just very well may be a pulled/strained muscle as my doctor thinks, but I find it very strange that it has not gone away after 3 weeks. I usually heal quickly, and this is why I was wondering if the Atenolol has something to do with it taking so long to feel better. I did read the brochure that came with my medication, and right now I can't remember if it mentioned muscle weakness or not. But, yes, now I know that it can be after reading what Lenin, Bethsheba, and Famnd have experienced.

Actually, at my last doctors visit, he said I could try a new b/p pill and gave me a perscription for Cardizem (I think it is spelled), if I want to try a new one. I am thinking if one pill has all the side effects, than another one will also, so I am uncomfortable about trying a new one. I think the Cardizem makes a person gain weight, which I don't need, and probably will effect the muscles as well. I am going to wean off the Atenolol for awhile, though, and just see if I notice any difference in my side and legs. I forgot to mention I also have a strange buzzing in my head....one more thing to complain about!

I truly do not like myself these days, but am comforted by the fact that I am not alone with all my side effect symptoms. I wish we didn't have to go through all this as it really effects a person's life. Thank you all so much for your input and I wish you well.

Judy

Old 04-05-2007, 04:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

jd,

I always keep my drug sheets in a file for notes and for future reference...you can make notes on these sheets as to what happened when you disco'd the drug (for example: aches and pains disappeared after 3 days, energy level returned, lost 5 lbs the first week off med, etc)---I didn't id many side effects until AFTER I had disco'd a drug--perhaps that's why I'm so adamant about sharing my experiences. It may be helpful to you and your doctor if you keep a record of what happens when you disco a drug so s/he has more info to work with when prescribing a new drug.

If your doctor is not addressing your concerns or blows you off, do consider seeing someone else. Your bp is nothing to mess with--if untreated, you could end up taking more meds at the very least.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-05-2007 at 04:42 AM. Reason: elimnate duplication

Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
(female)

jdchablis HB User

Wow, Flowergirl, I am not sure if I could handle all that medication your on, and all those side efects your having. That is a darn shame you have to go through all those side efects. I am very upset with myself just from the sore muscle problem I am having. I can't imagine having all the other problems like your having. Like you, I was always very active, and now I feel so down because I just can't do the things I would like to do. I have heard, though, that Lipitor can make your muscles sore. It is hard to tell sometimes which drug is making you feel bad, especially when you are on several. And, when you do have high blood pressure, your forced to take meds to help bring it down, so unfortunately a person has to put up wih the side effects, no matter how bad they are. I never realized blood pressure medication could cause such problems. What type of supplemental things do you take to help lower your b/p? I'd like to give that a try.

The reason I don't like taking the Atenolol is because of the side efects; I could take it, but I feel so bad when I am on it.

Thanks for your reply, and I wish you well. I hope you will be feeling better.

Judy

Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
(female)

jdchablis HB User

I just posted a reply to Flowergirl, but lost it somehow, so if it appears twice, sorry about that! But, just wanted to comment on FLowergirl's reply.

I can't imagine taking more than one pill for high blood pressure, being that I seem to be having trouble with just one! All those symptoms you are having must be very hard to deal with. The thing is, when you have high blood pressure, you are forced to take this medication, as the doctors will tell you you may have a stroke if you don't. That is what my doctor says to me. Isn't it funny, though, how the meds bother some people, and other people it doesn't. That is why I am thinking if you have prior conditions, like arthritus, neck problems, back problems, etc., the b/p meds seem to irritate these things, and make them worse. And if you don't have these problems, the meds seem to create issues, like the muscle weakness, dizziness, ringing in ears, breathing problems, etc. What a decision, though, take them and suffer from side effects, or don't take them and have a stroke!

What type of supplements do you take, FLowergirl? I would like to try that and see if it helps me.

I hope you get to feeling better and thanks for your reply. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions and suggestions.

Judy

Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
(female)

jdchablis HB User

I apoligize for the double posts, I think I am getting the hang of how to reply now! Thanks, Bethsheba, for your advice. Yes, I need to keep records and write these things down! And yes, I am considering going to another doctor; just haven't gotten around to it as of yet!

Hope eveyone has a good Easter, and keep me posted as to your thoughts!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Chablis,

thanks for your thoughts. I'd like to think of my BP as being under control, but with the numbers spiking into 160's on some days I don't think it is. My diastolic is almost always over 100. I was in the hospital recently for tests and my BP climbed to 200 (on the meds).They always end up turning off the alarm on the BP monitor. After doing a lot of research, I started taking the following supplements in hopes that, combined with my current medications, they will do the job.

garlic capsules
Omega 3 fish oil
vitamin B complex
apple cider vinegar
vitamin C, E
CoQ10
Centrum with minerals (the one a day vitamin pill)

Some of the above might be for helping my cholesterol levels. My BP seems to be lower in general now. I will keep my fingers crossed. Have had too many dissapointments already.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
(female)

jdchablis HB User

Flowergirl,

I am taking just about all those supplements that you mentioned, except the apple cider vinegar. How do you take that? Do you just drink it? I also take magnesium and potassium. Sometimes I forget to take some of them, as it gets tedious taking everything, but I manage to stay on a pretty good schedule with them. I went to my neuoroligist the other day, and my bp was running 170/90, which is higher than it has been. I commented on it to the nurse and she said a lot of people show higher readings when they are in a doctors office. Most of the time mine reads 150ish/80ish. Maybe that is what happened to you while you were in the hospital; you were probably under stress, which would make it climb higher.

I decided I am not going to worry about it anymore; I am going to just go ahead and take the half dosage of the Atenolol along with a fluid pill three times a week, and see what happens. You can drive yourself nuts worrying over the b/p issue. I know it is important, but for now, I am going to just relax and not let it rule my life. If it doesn't go down, then I might go ahead and try the new medication my doctor perscribed. A friend of mine just told me her hubby is on his 4th type of meds; he has side effects on all of them and can't find one that suits him. Maybe I will have to be like that and keep experimenting!!

Hope you will have luck with getting your's under control. Thanks for your advice, and keep me posted!

Judy

Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I wanted to followup & say that my muscle problems with lebetalol only last about 3-4 hrs after taking my meds & my blood tests are okay. It is more of a weakness than a pain. It's a pain but if it was all the time & my tests were abnormal, then I would be alarmed. In answer to flowergirls question, I have had serious reactions to most other b/p meds. Fam

Old 04-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Judy,

thanks for responding. You might want to check out this thread: Apple Cider Vinegar (04/08/07).
I have not considered taking potassium and magnesium supplements; I eat two bananas a day and figure that's got to be enough! There are so many supplements available; it's difficult to decide which ones our bodies need the most. One almost needs a degree! I ask the pharmacist a lot of questions, she never makes suggestions, but tells me what (in her opinion) I DON"T need. That's helpful in itself and much appreciated. Ultimately, I have to decide. Centrum vitamins/minerals that I take contain 0.15mg of potassium and 50mg of magnesium, respectively. I don't know what the daily recommended amount is .

Old 04-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fam,

I am glad you've found one you can actually live with. Do you remember any of the older posts mentioning people actually getting used to their medications through time and developing tolerance for them? I know Bethsheba has tried many and kept accurate records of each. How long does it take for our bodies to adjust to them? Months? Years? I guess I am wondering if I have to live with these side effects for the rest of my life. I will read all the posts and see if the subject ever came up. Thanks.

Closed Thread