It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

redcurls HB User
hpb 214/134 won't stay down with meds

My husband (age 45)has had high blood pressure for 10 years. It has been under control with medicine. He is a police officer so we always thought it came with the job. His last yearly doctor visit they found his bp to be 214/134, They gave him two pills and still it would not come down. They had him go to the emergecy room. There he had two injections and another pill. He finally was at 164/109. The hospital sent him home. And needless to say we were right back up the next morning. (To another hospital) His bp was back up to 210/124. The hospital got it to go down with meds to 134/88. It was right back up again when we were at the doctors office the next day, but not near as high. The doctor said he felt better about it and the med that they added would work better the longer he took it. THe doctor is wanting to check for an artery that pumps blood into the kidney. He thinks possibly that the kidney is letting the body know that the bp is down when it actually isnt. This, he thinks, is caused from a clogged artery that is not able to pump the blood correctly into the kidney. I guess the kidney regulates the bp. It is reacting to the loss of blood being pumped in as a low blood pressure. It sends out messages to the body to raise the bp, when it actually should not. This is why we can't keep the bp stablized with meds. We are going for a test tomorrow to see if this is actually the case. Any thoughts or knowledge would be wonderful. Thank you.

Last edited by redcurls; 04-05-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: hpb 214/134 won't stay down with meds

Sounds like his hypertension is very resistent to meds. (Was it being controlled during the last 10 years?) Mine was exactly the same. It took several days of experimenting with drugs in the hospital to find the right combination that did not need to be administered intravenously. And yes, the renal arterial stenosis is often the culprit when a cause for high BP can be determined. If, after the test results are in, you are told that that is the case, do not despair. There are treatments available, depending on the degree of the stenosis and each individual's circumstances. If not too severe, the nephrologist just keeps an eye on things.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
(female)

redcurls HB User

OK now the bp is better, after working with the meds. His ultra sound did not show stenosis. BUT, they did a thyroid check and his tsh was 134.48. (not a typo) The high for a tsh is suppose to be 5.50.. I just don't get what is going on. They did another ultrasound today and more blood work.. I am so confused by all these extreamly high numbers. It worries me. Thanks for the post though. I appriciate it.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi, my b/p took off when my thyroid got out of control too, only my tsh went in the other direction so I was very hyperthyroid. I'm surprised that your husband has been able to function with a tsh that high. It's great that the Dr. was able to get his b/p under control so quickly. He will really need your support while he regains his health. Fam

Closed Thread