It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
(male)

Modularman HB User
ANY GOOD THINGS -12.5 hydrochorothiazide (HTCZ)

The Dr. just added 12.5 a day of this to my already atenolol. I dont like any new meds as most people complain. I read a lot of dizzyness. I would rather have pain. Does anyone have any good thins to say about this. I read about too much sodium loss and potassium etc. Whats up before I start mine. thanks everyone.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
(male)

patjobob HB User
Re: ANY GOOD THINGS -12.5 hydrochorothiazide (HTCZ)

Hello Modularman:
Can't say anything good about HCTZ for my self, it caused all types of problems about 3 months after taking it. I got itchy rash and muscular pain. My pain was very bad in my feet and chest, thought it was my heart. The Doctor put my on Lasix 20mg, hope it's enough. I think that Lenin could answer most of your questions. Hey Lenin, what do you think. Is Lasix good or is there somthing better out there, and do you find that 20mg of Lasix is good enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
(female)

ms58 HB User

I take the same amount of HTCZ as you are. I am fine, it is actually very necessary for me to keep my BP down, most other things are not enough and I end up using HTCZ with the other meds. I was off it for about 9 months using only Lotrel, but have recently added it back in. You will go to the bathroom more frequently, so be sure to take it early in the AM so you can sleep thru the night.

I don't have problems with it though you will be thirsty and therefore drink more water, but that is good anyway.

So don't be afraid of it just because others have problems. Give it a chance for you and evaluate it yourself. Everyone reacts very differently to all these meds.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I got a allergic reaction to HCTZ when I first took it but then when I had it made up without the dye & other additives I was able to take it. HCTZ was my drug of last resort since I couldn't the others. The only problem I've had was when I got a cold & didn't feel like eating. So my potassium got too low. You have to eat whether you feel like eating or not when you're on a diuretic. It took a month to lower my b/p especially the top number (systolic). Fam

Old 04-08-2007, 05:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Good things eh,

1. Okay, IF you are a salt sensitive hypertensive, it is one of the two best drugs on the market...NOTHING worlk so well as HCTZ or Lasix.

2. It makes your scale kinder to you in the morning

3. It eases any painful joints you might have.

Alas, the downsides:
1. If you are NOT salt sensitive, the drug doesn't do much good for BP.

2. Long term, it is implicated with ED (but no worse than atenolol.)

3. It has a tendency to cause some people's serum sodium to drop too low...so you shouldn't take HCTZ and restrict salt at the same time.

For me, the upsides outweighed the downsides.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-08-2007 at 05:12 AM.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
(male)

Modularman HB User

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate all the comments and welcome any others. I dont know if Im sulfa sensitive. I dont know about the salt sensitive either. I guess I will just have to take a chance and watch out for those things. How would I know ahead of time. Thanks again.

Closed Thread