It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

candyheart HB User
High blood pressure and surgery

New to forum- just posted on kidney board. Long story short.. Diagnosed with 7 mm kidney stone 2 weeks ago. Lithotripsy was scheduled, but cancelled to do my high blood pressure 180/110. Never had pressure problems before, but no matter I've got them now. Dr. started me on Toprol-XL 50mg and after 1 week nothing much happening-bp is still up. Last nite the dr. added Avapro to the mix to see if that will help bring my pressure down. My surgery is supposed to be this coming Tuesday, but I feeling that it won't be happening then either if the bp does not come down. I'm feeling really sick with these stones but I do not want to risk anything in having the procedure with high blood pressure. Not to familiar with high blood pressure issues and or bp medications--which work best, fastest, etc. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
Re: High blood pressure and surgery

Not sure what your diet is like but some people are salt sensitve and too much fast food or high sodium foods can elevate BP. And I know when I am sick and don't feel like cooking my hubby opts for fast food or something from a can. Of course fast food and soups are loaded with salt! Just an idea. I'd be avoiding salt to see if that helps.

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
(female)

candyheart HB User

Heckofagal--thanks for the quick reply. Your idea sounds like a good one. Have not been eating too much of anything lately but I will start watching more closely what I AM eating. Anything to get this blood pressure down so I can go for my procedure.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi, you must be in a lot of pain!!! Hope you are getting pain relief. I'm surprised that your Dr. can't put you in the hospital & give you a IV med like "Lebetalol" which they give in the Er when one's b/p is very high. It takes sometimes as long as a month or more to get some b/p's down even with a med that works for a certain person. Have they tried the oral med for kidney stones? Fam

Old 04-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Labetalol is also available in capsules. (I am on it). Hopefully, Candy's hypertension is not drug resistant and she'll be able to bring it down sooner than that! P.S. Sometimes it takes months to get it under control!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Flowergirl,
Do you know which drug company makes the capsule form of Lebetalol? The drug company I use now only makes it in the pill form which I have to dissolve in water (tastes terrible). Perhaps the capsule form doesn't use all the extra ingredients. Thanks. Fam

Old 04-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

The reason I suggested the IV form of Lebetalol was to get her b/p down faster so she could have the surgery. Fam

Old 04-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
(female)

candyheart HB User

wow, you guys are great!!! I go to the dr. in the morning to see if my pressure is down. Can I ask for the capsule=Lebetalol, from my regular MD or do I need a Cardio dr.? Having to deal with this kidney stone along with the high blood pressure is giving me even higher bp. The uroligist did say something about an IV to bring down the pressure if all else fails. What kind of side effects with Lebetalol--the capsule? I wonder why none of the drs suggested it, especially since now my right kidney is swelling. Anyone know what blood pressure I need to have to be able to go into surgery? I do agree with you guys that with my current bp meds it could take a month for my pressure to go down, but my dr. keeps checking it every other day!!! And no, I haven't been given any meds for the kidney stones...only pain meds and antibiotics... I am sooooo anxious about my appointment in the morning....

Last edited by candyheart; 04-20-2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: adding info

Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

That's what I thought, Fam. I would imagine she'll have enough IV's in during surgery, that's why her BP has to be stable when they go ahead and do it.
Plus it will be a lot less risky with controlled BP.
I can tell you from personal experience that drugs administered intravenously are Ok for short-term control, but, as their effectiveness wears off, the BP shoots right back up again. That would not be a good thing post-op.
I have no idea who makes the drug or how to find out. Oh yeah, I'll ask the pharmacist and see if she knows! I sure make her earn her paycheck!

Old 04-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
P.S. Sometimes it takes months to get it under control!
The article I read yesterday said that only 1/3 of the 65 million people who have high blood pressure actually get it in control...now that's scary.

Bsheba

Old 04-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's very scary. I guess those of us who have it under control (myself included, knock on wood!!!) should consider ourselves lucky.

Good luck to you, Candy! I hope things go well for you tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #12
(female)

candyheart HB User

I hope that in time, I will be lucky enough to be able to get my bp under control. Thanks for your support tonight--I bet it helped lower my bp even if only just a bit!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 05:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
That's very scary. I guess those of us who have it under control (myself included, knock on wood!!!) should consider ourselves lucky.
Flowergirl,

Give yourself some credit here--it wasn't luck but a lot of tenacity, patience, and hard work by you, your husband, and your health care team! Well, maybe a little luck .

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-21-2007 at 05:17 AM.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
The article I read yesterday said that only 1/3 of the 65 million people who have high blood pressure actually get it in control...now that's scary.
Candyheart,

My apologies...after rereading this I realized that I may have left the wrong impression/message so I need to clarify. My point was that flowergirl and fam have some very helpful advice, and that given your condition you might not be able to wait for treatment if your bp is to be "under control". That is not to say it can't be controlled!

The numbers I cited do not tell the whole story. But people like flowergirl and fam can...at least their story. They can tell you that they've taken an active role in regaining their health and you can, too.

Again, forgive me if I caused you any distress...I've got to learn not to dash things off without giving more consideration to how the message might be interpreted.

I'll be thinking of you today, and will be hoping for the best.

Take care.

Bsheba

Old 04-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Candy,

Lebetalol is an older drug that is used in the ER often when someone comes in with very high b/p. They often give it IV. Many of the younger Dr's aren't used to ordering it. In fact it was my thyroid Dr. (very experienced older Dr.) who suggested it when my PC Dr. couldn't get my b/p under control. Intially it did take a few wks to get my b/p down so it didn't work really fast. But now that my body is used to it, it works faster so I use it for "cuff anxiety" when I go to the Dr. & also take it everyday for my normal b/p. My Dr. suggested that I take extra meds at times but one must have their Dr's okay & follow guidelines to prevent getting into withdrawal problems. Of, course taking it IV, it would work faster than the pill/capsule form. You need to get the surgery so you may have to do that & then deal with the hypertension later. I've read that the med for dissolving kidney stones doesn't always work. It worked for my cousin's husband but not my cousin who had to have the surgery. You've certainly got your hands full. Try to do anything to relax. I find writing my thoughts down in a journal (just a notebook) helps get the emotions out. No one has to read it so don't worry about grammer etc. Take care. Fam

Closed Thread