It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 07:44 AM   #1
(female)

candyheart HB User
systolic vs diastolic numbers

As many of you know I've been trying to get my pressure down for about two weeks(with the help of meds) Well it seems the top number(systolic) is coming down faster than the bottom(diastolic). Does that mean anything? Why aren't both numbers coming down at the same pace?

Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: systolic vs diastolic numbers

B/p meds vary in the ability to decrease one or both numbers. For example, I've found beta blockers in general are better at getting the 2nd number down (diastolic) whereas diuretics work better at getting the top number down. So I've had the problem of my diastolic being too low while my systolic too high. Norvase is better at getting the top number down. Of course, there are always individual differences in how we respond to a certain drug.
Also, our reaction to stress can throw off all the numbers so we don't know what is going on. That's why we have to do our best to manage our stress etc. so we can see what effect each drug has on our b/p. I didn't do well in this area for a long time so it prolonged the time to get my b/p under control. Finally, I woke up one day & told myself that I had to do my part instead of expecting the drug to do everything. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

candyheart HB User
Re: systolic vs diastolic numbers

Fam- I have been working on relieving stress and anxiety for years. I saw a therapist for years and her and I worked on all aspects of stress and anxiety, so I'm pretty familiar with the steps you need to follow to try and help yourself. I was doing great until all this kidney stone and high blood pressure stuff came up. But I do agree with you, we must try to help ourselves and try to keep ourselves calm.....but at this time that is easier said then done!!!!Thanks for the info on the bp numbers--I keep trying to educate myself, so thanks once again.

Closed Thread