It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

Simonmax HB User
Hydrochlorot side effects after long use?

I have started having lightheadedness, heavy feeling in arms/legs and general weakness episodes. Went to doc and BP was fine (I take 100/Atenolol a day). He did basic neurogical test, etc. (everything seemed fine) finger stick sugar was 84. Sent me to have major blood work and glucose tolerence test (no results yet). I also take 12.5 hydrochlorot and 100/synthroid each morning. I forgot my hydorchlorot/synthroid the day before the test and didn't have an episode until the afternoon of the day I took my next dose. Has anyone had bad reactions to hydrochlorot after taking it for over a year?
Any ideas... still waiting on all of bloodwork to come back but you know that usually takes a week.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Hydrochlorot side effects after long use?

Yes, Simonmax,

I had horrible side effects with hctz...I was on it for about a year but didn't realize my problems were a result of this medication...I exerienced periodic limb movements that disturbed my sleep resulting nocturnal hip pain, loss of concentration/memory, mood problems, and exhaustion. In addition, I experienced extreme back pain and shoulder pain which didn't respond to over the counter pain medication. I had 10 weeks of physical therapy for this and although the therapy helped, the pain didn't disappear until after I disco'd the medication. The only time I was aware of the back pain was when I'd wake in the am, and try to get out of bed. Some days I didn't think I would be able to get out of bed, but if I did it took several hours to return to "normal".

Again, I didn't realize it was the medication until months later.

Just for your info, side effects can start days, months, or years after taking a medication...and those side effects can come and go, too.

Bsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hello,

I did not know this, but, apparently, one has to watch for magnesium deficiency if using certain diuretics, including hydrochlorothaizides, over a long period of time. It is difficult to diagnose. This mineral is lost through urine.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I've taken HCTZ for about 2 plus yrs. I had what the Dr. called a allergic reaction to the pill form. After trying several other classes of meds, I had to find a way to take HCTZ because my expert Doc said that was all that was left to get my b/p down. He didn't much care if I had another allergic reaction, in fact, he said he should put me in the hospital & give me all the drugs that had given me reactions. Needless to say he scared me to death!!! I told him that would never happen!!! None the less I was at a crossroads & had to get my b/p under control. So I sat down & went through all the ingredients in all the drugs that I had tried & had reactions to & the ones that I tolerated. Yellow dye #6 was the only ingredient that was different. So I had a compound pharmacy make up a dye free capsule for me (I tried to find a dye free HCTZ to no avail). It works well. One has to be very careful about fluid intake, potassium, etc. I've gotten into problems twice now because I got a cold etc & just didn't feel like eating much. Luckily, I realized in time that my potassium was getting low. Another thing is that some calcium is retained so you have to be careful if you are taking calcium supplements. My Dr. wanted me to take extra calcium until I reminded him that I was on HCTZ & was afraid of getting too much calcium (also worried about getting kidney stones). I eat a lot of the milk group. When I went on HCTZ, I didn't noticed any extra tireness
associated with it. This week I experimented & took my HCTZ early & waited until lunch to take my alpha/beta blocked. I didn't get tired like I do when I take my other drug with it. Dr. Dean talked about too much calcium this week. He said there was a recent study with about 200 patients which found brains lesions in patients with a high intake of calcium so he said to go easy on the calcium supplements. Fam

Old 05-07-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonmax View Post
I have started having lightheadedness, heavy feeling in arms/legs and general weakness episodes. Went to doc and BP was fine (I take 100/Atenolol a day). I also take 12.5 hydrochlorot and 100/synthroid each morning. I forgot my hydorchlorot/synthroid the day before the test and didn't have an episode until the afternoon of the day I took my next dose.

Lightheadedness, a heavy feeling in the arms and legs ad general weakness point squarely at either the high atenolol dose or a general over-lowering of your BP (hypotension.)
I really doubt that 12.5 mg. HCTZ woull cause these symptoms except very rarely from messed up electrolytes. I've taken HCTZ for decades with no problem but give me a beta-blocker for 2 days and I'm dragging 'round like an old man.

I'm not sure of the side effects of your thyroid medications...you should look into it.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-07-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl
I did not know this, but, apparently, one has to watch for magnesium deficiency if using certain diuretics, including hydrochlorothaizides, over a long period of time. It is difficult to diagnose. This mineral is lost through urine.
Yes, the doctor should tell us what to look for! It was a friend of mine, who is a nurse, who made me aware of the potential for a potassium/magnesium deficiency. I was taking potassium and magnesium supplements and reported this BEFORE I started the medication and my lab test were "normal' while taking the hctz--but I realize now that some of the symptoms I was experiencing (irritability, fatigue, muscle twitching (diagnosed with periodic limb movements), poor memory all suggest a magnesium deficiency. Hmmmm.

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 05-08-2007 at 06:46 AM. Reason: quote marks, what else?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Another thing is that some calcium is retained so you have to be careful if you are taking calcium supplements. My Dr. wanted me to take extra calcium until I reminded him that I was on HCTZ & was afraid of getting too much calcium (also worried about getting kidney stones).
This is one of the many reasons we should read those drug information sheets BEFORE purchasing the medication. Too many doctors "overlook" risks that may apply to us. Fam, how did you get to be so smart?

Quote:
I didn't noticed any extra tireness...
For the sake of others who take or who may take hctz, fatigue is one of the common side effects of hctz which can go away within a few weeks of taking the med. However, in some cases the fatigue intensifies with time. Personally, I do not like using the term fatigue as it is overused. There is a difference between being tired and not being able to bath, dress, feed, and otherwise care for oneself.

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 05-08-2007 at 06:46 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Good point, Beth about the tireness. Thanks for the compliment. I have spend more hours than I care to say researching B/P issues mainly to prevent having another mishap like my knee damage & also in hopes of getting off these drugs. Although I love helping other with these issues, I would much preferred to be able to walk into a Dr's office & have it all laid out for me. As you know, that is just not possible these days. There was an excellent example of this last night on discovery health. A young man had been trying to get an answer for his symptoms for 5 hrs. The Dr's had him on a full arthritis drug therapy. He had seen numerous Dr's so somehwhere along the line, he got stuck with arthritis. He was just going downhill medically. His wife/girlfriend finally got so disgusted that she went on the internet with a list of his symptoms & guess what she found: Gout as a possible diagnosis. Sure enough once the approciate blood test was done & he was on the med for that illness he was back into the world of the living. HGTV had a Dr. come on & emphasize how important it is for the patient to get involved in his/her illness/treatment. That of course isn't always possible since every patient doesn't have the energy etc. to do that. There is a great book that I'm waiting to come down in price about how Dr.'s think. Fam

Old 05-09-2007, 05:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

I ran into the same problem with a gout diagnosis...I cannot IMAGINE why doctors are SOOO stupid about diagnosis , one of the OLDEST known diseases. You'd seemingly get a more accurate gout diagnosis from a doctor in Greece, circa, 4th Century BC.

I finally read something that Calvin Trillin said when asked what was the most important thing he'd learned from his life. He said:
"If you see a lump on your thumb, you have GOUT." (Gotta love this guy!)
<<I had a lump on my thumb! >>

And to get back on the original topic with complete closure: HCTZ causes gout...serendipity!

aside: Hmmm, this is my post number 7,777...I'd better run out and buy a lottery tickey.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-09-2007 at 05:35 AM.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lenin,

Yes, indeedy....that is one of the many reasons I should not have been prescribed hctz! And one of the reasons I should have read the med sheet BEFORE filling the prescription!!!

I have a family history of gout (genetic based, not related to meat or alcohol but aggravated by my favorite foods--aspargus, legumes, cauliflower). My symptoms of sudden and excruciating back pain that came and went is symptomatic of gout (imagine the pain in your big toe or thumb at the bottom of your spine). And by the way, my doctor still denies a correlation between my back and shoulder pain despite those side effects being listed on the drug info sheet! Arghhhhhh!!!!!!!! I will be doing some doctor shopping. Present doc is in denial, not up to the current literature, and not listening to his patient(s). Sorry to vent, Lenin. But I know that you understand the doctor thing.

Bsheba

PS A nurse thought my lumpy big toe was a bunion...don't you wonder how many people are walking (or should I say limping?) around with gout while under the impression they have bunions?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I have my uric acid(Gout) checked once a year. I also have my magnesium & Vit D level checked. I have a list of blood tests that need to be done. The nurse now asks me to check the lab slip to make sure everything is on it. Saves her & the Dr. time in the end cause I don't have to call & bug her. I've been through 7 Dr's & ended up going back to one of the first Drs. She isn't perfect but I don't have great choice in this little town. One Dr. even send me a registered letter telling me he wouldn't care for me because I didn't get all the tests he ordered (that was before I got throiditis & hypertension). I told him at the time I could only afford a few tests but that in 8 months when my husband got his pension & full insurance I could get more tests. He was dumb enough to write in the letter that the patient said she couldn't afford the tests. I had gone back to him when I got throiditis & was very ill (hyperthroid & hypertension). I could hardly sit up on the table & all he could do was complain about the fact that I didn't have all the tests done the previous August. My husband finally told him that we were there to get another med for my hypertension & that I was very sick. So Beth it takes time to find the right Dr. or at least one you can relate too most of the time. It's hard becaue you are stressed out about the b/p etc & you have to contend with the Dr problem too. Just what we hypertensives need!!!
Fam

Old 05-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Beth,

Yes indeed...I've gone through a couple months with a wonky "bunion." I was lowering my allopurinol because I am getting concerned about long term effects after all these years. So after a month of 100 mg. allopurinol, my "bunion" starts aching when I step on it first thing in the morning and for about an hour later. I upped the allopurinol and with a few days, NO MORE "BUNION."
So, I guess it's impossible for me to wean off allourinol.

This is complicated business because HCTZ and Lasix cause uric acid retention and losartan causes uric acid excretion but ALSO allopurinol and oxypurinol (its metabolite) excretion. And to make matters worse uric acid RAISES blood pressure by kidney damage. I'm currently trying to get to the bottom of the chemistry of caffeine, vis a vie uric acid...the misinformation on the web is astoundingly inadequate.

People with gout and blood pressure issues are in some murky territory indeed.

Fam,
Get rid of that greedy, incompetent doctor. If he asks why, tell him he doesn't do enough tests to suit you , that should leave him spluttering incoherently !

Last edited by Lenin; 05-10-2007 at 04:44 AM.

Closed Thread