It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 02:13 AM   #1
(male)

lamal3 HB User
My blood pressure is through the roof!!

I just had a doctor check out my blood pressure today and it was at 170-175. He said that this was significantly high to be at that level. Maybe I was nervous or something but at first he checked it, it came out to 175 and then he told me to relax and then it fell down to 170. On the machine however when it starts to contract it goes up to 215 then dropping down. I do think this is insanely high. I heard the norm is around less than 140. The only reason I could think of it being so high was that I was not calm during the time of the pressure gauge. I'm only 25 years old and that doesn't seem normal at all. I got worried afterwards and so I went to go to one of those self checking blood pressure machines at one of the drug stores and the results were different. My first try came out to 160 and then on the second try it came out to 140. So what could contribute to a signifcant fluctuation? This is crazy. What could be the causes of high blood pressure?

Anthony

Old 05-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
(female)

ms58 HB User
Re: My blood pressure is through the roof!!

You need to buy a home blood pressure monitor and take your pressures according to it's instructions for the next couple of weeks at different times of the day. If you consistently show over 140/90 you have high blood pressure. Even 140/90 is borderline.

Causes are many. Overweight. Junk food. Stress. Physical causes which require blood tests, etc.

First keep track of the pressures and if they continue high you have to get with a doctor for reduction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
(male)

waswell HB User

What are some of the physical causes,would like to know.Thanks

Old 05-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
(female)

ms58 HB User

There can be many. Kidney problems are a big cause of HBP. Blood clots. Thyroid issues. Arteries getting stiff with age. The list goes on and on. Also if someone takes diet pills, or drinks things like red bull which stimulate the body, BP can go up. Also, some cold meds raise the bp.

Thats why doctors try to get a good history of your lifestyle and run the blood tests early on, to eliminate physical causes which need to be addressed by other means than just BP meds. Obviously I am not a doctor, so if you really need in depth info, you best course of action is checking with your own doc.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hello,

To answer your question on physical causes of hypertension:

Many people who have known risk factors get high blood pressure for which the exact cause cannot be determined. This is essential hypertension and amounts to more than 90% of diagnosed cases. You can easily find out what the risk factors for developing high blood pressure are and how many apply to you.

Some of the physical factors contributing or resulting in this disease are:
(I am sure there are many more I have not mentioned here)
genetics - if it's in your family's history, chances are you'll get it, too
salt intake
smoking
obesity
aging (results in gradual blood vessel constriction)
certain medicines and supplements
sleep disorders
use of illegal drugs

Certain medical conditions result in hypertension. This is called secondary hypertension. Quite often, it's difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. For instance, hypertension causes kidney disease, while kidney disease causes hypertension. How to decide which came first? (The jury is still out on mine) Some of the physical conditions causing hypertension are:

kidney diseases
adrenal gland tumors
thyroid gland disorders
Cushing's syndrome

I hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:26 AM   #6
(male)

lamal3 HB User

I would have to say that I'm not overweight, I'm about 5'7 144lbs. I exercise a few times a week. If you ask most people if I have high blood pressure they would they I'm joking. I don't show that I have high blood pressure and nore do I feel like I do have it. What is causing this to happen? I'm only 25 and judging from the results it is way beyond normal. I'm really scared that this is happening to me. I am now trying to do a little more cardio just to see if it decreases my blood pressure. My eating habits are probably not too good. I would say that I have been eating fast food a little too much. Since I'm always busy with my work I tend to have little time to make lunch so I eat out alot. I did drink alot of coffee such as frappacinos from starbucks before and have been drinking energy drinks to keep me awake. I have now stopped drinking coffee and energy drinks althogher since I found out. What can i do to reduce my blood pressure.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

lamal,

Don't panic.
Buy a BP tester and test yourself twice a day and keep a record. Make sure you are relaxed and seated or reclined comfortably for 5 minutes before you test.
Your REAL BP is the monthlong average of these 60 readings.
If it's high then you need to take some action but often it's just the anxiety of a doctor's office that will raise it.
In-store testers are not trustworthy enough.

Don't test first thing in the morning.

Closed Thread