It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: yardley, PA
Posts: 28
mickey99 HB User
golden flaxseed

When I started taking milled golden flaxseed my blood pressure really went down. I think there is a coorelation between flaxseed and blood pressure. It works for me- in addition to my other meds.

 
Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bryan, TX, USA
Posts: 302
acp44 HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey99 View Post
When I started taking milled golden flaxseed my blood pressure really went down. I think there is a coorelation between flaxseed and blood pressure. It works for me- in addition to my other meds.

Curious how much you were taking and for how long before it showed an effect? A lot of people (including me) are posting about supplements but it is real tough to make sense of what works and how much and for how long etc.

acp

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-01-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,508
Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

mickey,
A possible methodology:
Ground flaxseed has a goodly supply of soluble fiber. In the intestines, soluble fiber absorbs moisture as it makes it's way out.
Removing moisture from the bloodstream in this way might lower BP by much the same mechanism that diuretics do.

 
Old 06-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: yardley, PA
Posts: 28
mickey99 HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp44 View Post
Curious how much you were taking and for how long before it showed an effect? A lot of people (including me) are posting about supplements but it is real tough to make sense of what works and how much and for how long etc.

acp
I take 3 tablespoons a day-bit I'm used to that. I would start at 1-2tablespoons and make sure it is already milled. I saw that effects in about a few weeks. I might have to lower my BP medicaine (25 ml of prinival and 5 of norvasc. My blood pressure -when I last took it was 106/64. At night it may go lower because I feel a little wierd when trying to fall asleep.

 
Old 06-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bryan, TX, USA
Posts: 302
acp44 HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey99 View Post
I take 3 tablespoons a day-bit I'm used to that. I would start at 1-2tablespoons and make sure it is already milled. I saw that effects in about a few weeks. I might have to lower my BP medicaine (25 ml of prinival and 5 of norvasc. My blood pressure -when I last took it was 106/64. At night it may go lower because I feel a little wierd when trying to fall asleep.
Wow that is amazing! Do you take it straight or mix it with anything?

acp

 
Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: yardley, PA
Posts: 28
mickey99 HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp44 View Post
Wow that is amazing! Do you take it straight or mix it with anything?

acp
I cut up fresh fruit (peaches plums bananas) and then I just add the flaxseed to it. Golden flaxseed tastes the best. I think it might be doing too good of a job.

 
Old 06-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bryan, TX, USA
Posts: 302
acp44 HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey99 View Post
I cut up fresh fruit (peaches plums bananas) and then I just add the flaxseed to it. Golden flaxseed tastes the best. I think it might be doing too good of a job.

And the fruit can't hurt either. Thanks for the info. Can never have too good of a job with BP I bet!

acp

 
Old 06-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bryan, TX, USA
Posts: 302
acp44 HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey99 View Post
I cut up fresh fruit (peaches plums bananas) and then I just add the flaxseed to it. Golden flaxseed tastes the best. I think it might be doing too good of a job.
Sorry for one more dumb question but does it have to be golden flaxseed? I just bought a good quantity of organic cold milled flaxseed, but it is not the golden kind. Looking forward to trying it.

My dad who is 79 and has BP below 120/80 has been grinding and eating his own flaxseed for years...and to think I used to laugh at him!

acp

acp

 
Old 06-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: yardley, PA
Posts: 28
mickey99 HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp44 View Post
Sorry for one more dumb question but does it have to be golden flaxseed? I just bought a good quantity of organic cold milled flaxseed, but it is not the golden kind. Looking forward to trying it.

My dad who is 79 and has BP below 120/80 has been grinding and eating his own flaxseed for years...and to think I used to laugh at him!

acp

acp
No difference at all-I just like the taste of the golden flaxseed. Same benefits. Let me know if it helps you. Mickey9

 
Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 524
Guy1_USA HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

Where do you purchase golden flaxseed...? Is there a Brand Name you like...?

 
Old 06-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 43
Kaco HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

You can buy flaxseed at most grocery stores. I have the Flaxseed oil capsules and wonder if it would be too much flaxseed to also try the golder flaxseed on foods?

 
Old 06-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
flowergirl2day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,171
flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: golden flaxseed

VentureMan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
Where do you purchase golden flaxseed...? Is there a Brand Name you like...?
Any flaxseed (no matter what color) will give you the same benefit, as long as it is ground. I buy mine in the bulk food section of any grocery store. You can buy it already ground or whole and grind it yourself at home, using a regular coffee grinder.

It must be kept in the freezer, where it will last for up to six months. It goes rancid pretty quickly (faster than nuts) at regular room temperature.
Do not use whole - if you do, it passes through the digestive system without doing anything for you.

Flowergirl

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
where can i find flaxseed in the grocery. mark121212 Diet & Nutrition 11 02-25-2010 07:21 AM
Flaxseed oil - capsules or liquid? fairycake Vitamins & Supplements 15 03-28-2006 03:01 AM
What is flaxseed? newbie5 Menopause 2 11-09-2005 05:35 PM
flaxseed question Belle2003 Menopause 2 11-07-2005 03:12 PM
Flaxseed Oil (Choices) almostclear7 Acne 1 11-01-2005 03:20 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Atenolol
Benicar
Clonidine Cozaar
Diovan
  Lisinopril
Lotrel
Norvasc
Potassium
Toprol




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Machaon (53), atengnr (48), JJ (35), soflsun (29), Flutterbye77 (17), flitz (16), flowergirl2day (16), zuzu8 (15), cartner (12), rudiraven (12)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (855), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (769), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (654), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!